Lido the Mantis

  • gti96dmoz
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2003
      I have a mantis living in a plant of sedum on my deck. He's been in
      the same pot since mid-August... or rather, that's when I noticed
      him. His name is Lido and he's about 1" long. He just moulted today.
      The temperature here is getting colder and colder. The leaves are
      dropping and I'm sure he won't make it much longer. Anyone know how
      much cold they can withstand?
    • KRISTEN D VINEYARD
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        Well...I, being somewhat of an amature..have kept walking sticks alive longer than their typical span by keeping the ambient temperature at a warm degree.  Most insects, by nature, I believe, go into stasis in the winter (when the temperatures drop and the light decreases). Im pretty confidant that it depends on the species, but for facts sake...ladybird beetles do a horizontal migration in the winter ( they migrate to higher elevations to ensure their stasis) and can be found huddled in massive colonies at high elevations.

        I would venture to guess, in my amature state, that if you bring the insect inside and keep it fairly warm and supply ample food, that it wont know the difference between summer and winter, and you will be able to enjoy its company for a longer period of time.

        Please, if I am misguided, anyone let me know how I am wrong. Im just going on prior experience with albeit a different type of insect.

        -Kristen

        I have a mantis living in a plant of sedum on my deck. He's been in
        the same pot since mid-August... or rather, that's when I noticed
        him. His name is Lido and he's about 1" long. He just moulted today.
        The temperature here is getting colder and colder. The leaves are
        dropping and I'm sure he won't make it much longer. Anyone know how
        much cold they can withstand?

        The date of the next AES Annual Exhibition at Kempton Park Racecourse, Sunbury, Middlesex is Saturday the 4 October 2003 open from 11am to 4.30pm. For further details and information on membership of the AES see the AES Website at http://www.amentsoc.org/.

        For advice on insects and membership of the AES Bug Club (open to those under 13) see the AES Bug Club website at
        http://www.ex.ac.uk/bugclub

      • gti96dmoz
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2003
          Thanks Kristen,

          It was going to get to around 30 degrees last night and he wasn't
          moving really much at all. I couldn't bear it, so I brought him
          inside. It took about 30 mintues and he started moving all over his
          pot. I leaned down to get a real close look and he marched right over
          and just sorta hopped up on my shoulder. Talk about freaked out!

          Anyway, he perked right up and now will hop on my hand if I put it
          near the pot.

          Guess I'll be getting an aquarium and some crickets...

          --- In bugclub@yahoogroups.com, "KRISTEN D VINEYARD" <KDVINE@m...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2003
            Does anyone know about their signs of agression? He was on my hand. A
            friend wanted to get an up close look at him. He started swaying back
            and forth, back and forth. My friend started swaying in the same
            manner.... It didn't take too long before Lido just lunged at my
            friend.. he ended up on the floor and was soon returned to his 'home'
            pot.