6264Re: [bugclub] What's this bug?

  • Gillian Mitsi
    Jun 5, 2014
      Many thanks, Anthony.  Now I've got a name for them, I can satisfy my curiosity on the internet. Everything about them sems to agree with your verdict!

       Looking at  several more photos I took, they large ones all seem to have the same pattern - smaller ones vary, as I suppose you'd expect. Pehaps they are just a loclal variation.

      We don't have mallow or lime, but they seem to be thriving under the olive trees, so they must have found something they like.

      Once again, thank you!

      Gillian

      On Thursday, June 5, 2014 1:45 PM, "Anthony Burnand anthonyburnand@... [bugclub]" <bugclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi Gillian
      I was hoping someone else would come up with the answer for you, but to me it looks like what we know as a Firebug,
      Pyrrhocoris apteris,
      it is from the group Hemiptera, which are plant sucking insects of Mallow and lime.
      However! the wing pattern is slightly different from the norm, so I am guessing it is either a sub adult (Instar) or a slightly different species.
      Do let me know if you find out more?.
      Kind Regards Anthony

      On Wednesday, 4 June 2014, 19:15, "gillianmitsi@... [bugclub]" <bugclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from gillianmitsi@... [bugclub] included below]

      Does anyone know what these bugs are? They're probably pretty common, but this is the first time I've come across them.

      There is a colony of them in my garden now - June 2014 - , in Eastern mainland Greece  (Euboia, if  you know where that is).

      Do you know if they are useful or undesirable?

      Thanks in advance!

      GMM

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic