6263Re: [bugclub] What's this bug? [2 Attachments]

  • Anthony Burnand
    Jun 5, 2014
      Hi Gillian
      I was hoping someone else would come up with the answer for you, but to me it looks like what we know as a Firebug,
      Pyrrhocoris apteris,
      it is from the group Hemiptera, which are plant sucking insects of Mallow and lime.
      However! the wing pattern is slightly different from the norm, so I am guessing it is either a sub adult (Instar) or a slightly different species.
      Do let me know if you find out more?.
      Kind Regards Anthony

      On Wednesday, 4 June 2014, 19:15, "gillianmitsi@... [bugclub]" <bugclub@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from gillianmitsi@... [bugclub] included below]

      Does anyone know what these bugs are? They're probably pretty common, but this is the first time I've come across them.

      There is a colony of them in my garden now - June 2014 - , in Eastern mainland Greece  (Euboia, if  you know where that is).

      Do you know if they are useful or undesirable?

      Thanks in advance!

      GMM

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic