6180Re: [bugclub] Caterpillar

  • Bugclubquestions
    Jan 8, 2014
      Hi Graham,

      The only species I can think of at that size and time of year is the Buff-tip. They wii feed on most trees and are gregarious in their early stages so usually around in significant numbers.

      Best wishes

      Reg

      On 7 Jan 2014, at 13:23, Graeme Stroud wrote:

      Hi BugClub,

      Bit of a forlorn hope this one, but you never know . . .

      Autumn before last, I found a tree that was infested with caterpillars.
      Not that yucky silk-web kind of infested, just that there were lots of caterpillars on this tree, and it was only a small tree, 10 or 12 feet high.

      The caterpillars were not very well marked – a bit like the larvae of the large white butterfly, quite pale, but with no easily-defined markings or easily-described pattern.
      But they were large – easily 4 inches long.

      I thought I might be able to identify them by the food plant, but I didn’t recognise the tree either; I think it was some kind of nut tree.
      It was in a tiny front garden in a grubby terrace in Swanscombe, North Kent.

      I didn’t have my camera with me, and by the time I was next in the area, they had all gone.
      Next year, they cut the tree down.

      The reason I haven’t asked before is that the question is so vague: What kind of caterpillar grows to 4 inches long, has vague markings, and lives on an unknown tree?

      Anyone any theories?

      Many thanks,

      Comma Oil & Chemicals Limited
      Head Office
      30 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent ME19 4UY
      Operations Plant
      Dering Way, Gravesend, Kent DA12 2QX (Registered in England: Number 2075698. Registered Office as above)
      (If the e-mail is received in error, inform the sender immediately and do not copy the e-mail, use its contents or disclose them to any unauthorised third party).

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic