6142Jersey Tiger Moth + Crane Fly

  • Graeme Stroud
    Sep 29, 2013

    Hi BugClub,

    Sorry to be so late with this sighting.

    I was walking home from work about a month ago, when a tiger moth flew past my face and landed high up in the bushes.

    I managed to get a fairly blurry shot (attached) of it using zoom, and assumed it was a garden tiger.

    It was only this weekend, as I was looking it up to get the Latin name, that I realised it wasn’t a garden tiger at all, but a Jersey tiger.

    Now both of my books, which are pretty recent and up-to-date, say this is only found in the coastal west country.

    But this was in Gravesend, North Kent, about 50 miles from the south and east coasts.

    Does anyone have any more recent distribution info than this?

    While I’m at it, is anyone able to ID the attached crane fly I photographed on the same day?

    Many thanks,

    Graeme

    Comma Oil & Chemicals Limited
    Dering Way, Gravesend, Kent DA12 2QX

    (Registered in England: Number 2075698. Registered Office as above)

    (If the e-mail is received in error, inform the sender immediately and do not copy the e-mail, use its contents or disclose them to any unauthorised third party).
  • Show all 7 messages in this topic