FW: Chips for Sunday Readers' Letters

  • b brabant
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: B.Brabant [mailto:buffalo@...]
      Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 10:58 AM
      To: B.Brabant
      Subject: Chips for Sunday Readers' Letters

      iStudySmart.com Earn College CreditInvest in yourself! Having your
      degree can make a major difference in your paycheck. For moreinformation
      about earning college credit through distance learning programs and to
      get your freeDistance Learning Guide, please click here:
      http://oz.valueclick.com/r/hs0240501/a0069331/0

      Around the scuttlebutt with the Buffalo
      ( A modern scuttlebutt is a water cooler and on old ships as sailors
      stood around the water cask rumors, sea stories and useful info was
      spread )

      Please feel free to respond with your views. I try to print everything
      but due to size constraints and netiquette we will not print extremely
      long, profane submissions, or tolerate flaming of other readers .
      Scuttlebutt address is buffalo@... and speak your mind

      Hi Buff and'The Troll,' no, I was not saying that our selected
      President was wanting to take over the Middle East for the Oil. Just
      wondering why some all ways need enemies, to even go make them. Anyway,
      I agree that if we were foolish enough to do the oil thing, we truly
      would have the whole world on us. Wonder why our energy policy relies
      mostly on oil, gas and coal. What the heck happened to all the other
      research done prior to the 80s? Or well, enough beating up these poor
      keys, all take care. Me again, just call me Frank. Mt. Pleasant, NC
      (and it truly pleasant here).

      ~~~~~~

      "Thanks Dianne, finally something to try on those pesky squirrels. Big,
      brave 18lb cat has begun to give them names. He meows at me when the
      rodents drop to the feeder, I come over, throw bread out the window for
      squirrels to eat instead of bird seed. They do this several times a day.
      Am beginning to feel as if I am being trained!!! Thanks
      again...Cynbrat"

      There are a few products on the market now that are designed to keep
      squirrels out of bird feeders....apparently they mix in hot pepper
      derivatives, which deter them, but don't hurt the birds, as birds don't
      have taste buds. I don't know the names of these bird seeds, but any
      major store should carry them. I DO know that when the squirrels were
      actually EATING my heavy plastic garbage cans to get at my trash, I
      started pouring chili powder on the lids.....and the feasting ended!!!!
      Good luck!

      Cme4flts

      ~~~~~~~

      In Memory of my Mom, Theresa Joanne Labiak, born August 19, 1927, she
      earned her wings on November 25, 2002. She will be dearly missed.

      God Only Takes The Best

      God saw she was getting tired,
      and a cure was not to be,
      So He put his arms around her,
      and whispered, "Come with me."
      With tearful eyes He watched her suffer
      and saw her fade away.
      Although we loved her dearly,
      We could not make her stay.
      A golden heart stopped beating,
      hard working hands to rest.
      God broke our hearts to prove to us
      He only takes the best.
      God knows you had to leave us,
      But you did not go alone~~
      For part of us went with you,
      The day He took you home.
      To some you are forgotten,
      To others just the past.
      But to us who loved and lost you,
      Your memory will always last.

      Curt a Michigander from Warren

      buffalo says Let me offer my condolences during your time of sorrow and
      assure you that the prayers of our readers are with you.

      ~~~~~~~

      My dearest, you
      have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were
      there to support me. When my business failed, you were there. When I
      got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you stayed right
      here. When my health started failing, you were still by my side. You
      know what?"

      "What dear?" she gently asked, smiling as her heart began to fill with
      warmth.

      "I think you're bad luck."

      A matter of life imitiating art or vice versa -I know exactly how this
      feels, because I am the healthy partner in this case... the above is one
      way
      of looking at it. Wish my spouse could speak enough to blame me!
      (These
      days if we cannot laugh, we are in BIG trouble!)

      I am not offended atr or criticizing, just commenting on how close to
      life some jokes are -maybe that's where they come from, (for example):
      :

      Many many years ago my mom and dad were having an argument- it was
      during the depression and things were tough, and maybe the two of them
      just venting - really loudly and vehemently! It reached the point, my
      mom said, that she picked up the glass coffee pot, and raising it over
      her head, was fixing to throw it at my dad but she stopped suddenly, put
      the coffee pot
      down and left the room. My dad thought he had won the argument so he
      came
      after her and needled, "You admit I'm right?" She said, "No, you are
      wrong many times, but that is my only coffee pot."

      And we do love our kawfee.

      Lady BJ

      ~~~~~~~~

      Buffalo:

      You should know that your ulcer was probably caused by the Prednisone
      they put you on for your spider bite. That stuff is a potent
      immunosuppressant, causes ulcers, loss of bone density, abdominal
      obesity, memory loss, and high blood pressure (with a fall in blood
      pressure when you taper off of it). Yet, they prescribe it routinely
      for any condition with pain and swelling. Modern medicine at its most
      oblivious.

      Peri L. Dwyer, D.C.

      buffalo says I forgot about that. No wonder I'm fat. Oops never mind I
      was fat before the spider bit me.

      ~~~~~~~

      . the shiney golden bowl / oval
      office / office of The President is tarnished by the contents. a REAL
      blessing in disguise is that like a shiney golden bowl The Presidency
      can be clean again when the US electorate elects a President that does
      not have this "GATE", that "GATE", or any other "GATE" to hold him back.

      gordon from Oregon

      The"offal oval,"hmm?

      Lady BJ

      ~~~~~~~

      Cal Thomas

      During the interview, Ashcroft said something so profound,
      I wanted to share it with you. Listen ... this is good.

      The Attorney General of the United States said :

      "Islam is a religion in which God [Allah] requires you to send your son
      to die for him.

      Christianity is a faith in which God sent His Son to die for you."

      ~~~~~~

      You are kidding, right? Another ignorant statement resounds. AG or
      not.
      We could write a book on the present administration's cute sayings. I
      guess you are adhering to the old" if you aren't with us, you are
      against us" theorem.

      Lady BJ

      ~~~~~

      Alana in Oregon: I know your pain. My beloved Golden Retriever Seamus
      died
      9-25-01 and I still cry for him, I miss him so much. He was my friend &
      protector. In 1998 I was in the hospital for 11 days & Shea sat at the
      front window waiting for me. When I came home he couldn't stop kissing
      me. I would have done anything to save him but, he had cancer. Don't
      ever think you shouldn't grieve for your pet, you did lose a member of
      your family. There is a fantastic site to visit, it was comforting for
      me.
      http://www.angelbluemist.com/aplaceforus.html barbjare nj

      ~~~~~~

      Hi Buff, this is for Alana in Oregon. I am so sorry for your loss. Some
      people don;t understand how much our pets mean to us.They think that
      they are only animals and can't understand why we grieve for them. I
      have 9 cats and to me they are more "human" than alot of people I know.
      They give us unconditional love and always seem to know when we are
      feeling down and comfort us in their own special way. I remember as a
      child in Catholic school the priest telling us that since anmals have no
      "soul' they cannot go to heaven. Well my cats have alot more soul than
      alot of priests do . I know they will all be waiting for me at the
      Rainbow Bridge,as will your parrot be waiting for you. Again, Alana,I'm
      so sorry for your loss. Barbcee

      ~~~~~~~

      One day G-d called the Pope, and He said, "I have good news and bad
      news. First the good news. I am tired of all the squabbling between the
      religions on earth. I have decided there will be only the one true
      religion." The Pope was overjoyed and told G-d how wise His decision
      was, then asked, "What's the bad news?".

      G-d said, "The bad news is that I am calling from Jerusalem."

      Greg

      Via Theresia

      ~~~~~~

      i agree completely, i have had a few pets in my lifetime and have cried
      over all of them. my first pet ever was a hamster, and i left it with my
      teacher to take care of when i lived in france for two years.(couldnt
      take it on the
      plane) when i came back, the hamster had died. i was 10 years old and
      cried for 4 days. right now i have a portuguese water dog named shadow,
      she is 6 years old. i dont know what i would do if i lost her! -janna

      ~~~~~~~~

      Hi Alana
      No, Alana, you are not the only one who grieves when you lose a
      friend.I am sorry for your loss. There are numerable people who won't
      admit it, that they cry and morn uncontrolably for their lost friend.
      Some people have never had a chance to have a companion in the animal
      world that meant the world to them, and it is a shame on all that they
      missed with the companionship. I lost my buddy 2 years ago, his name was
      Joe, he was an Amazon Parrott and he always brought the barnyard in the
      house with his talking, and he called the cats and dogs. It would really
      baffle people when they called and heard all the strange sounds over the
      phone. Thinking I had all these animals in the house. Go Ahead and
      grieve I still do. And if people don't like it " tough **it". I will be
      grieving with you. Loco Hiefer in Colorado

      ~~~~~

      Dear Buffalo

      I found this in Mombeau's Hot n' Spicy on 11/30/02:

      'You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a
      clipboard."

      It triggered a memory of my experience while attending Camera Repair
      School at Lowry AFB in Denver, CO in 1955. Our classes began at 0600
      and went until 1200 hours. We were allowed an hour for lunch. At 1300
      hours they held a formation to assign work details for the afternoon.
      With the foreknowledge of 3 years prior service I fell into the
      formation with a clipboard under my arm. As soon as roll call
      concluded, I did a military about face and proceeded to march past the
      NCOIC (Non-commissioned officer in charge). I then made my way to the
      Hangar Bar on East Colfax Avenue for you folks who know Denver, where I
      whiled away the afternoon drinking beer and playing pool. Ah, the
      memories. Nostalgia is so sweet.

      Jim Mc Quain

      ~~~~

[...]

      If you review the history of the National Guard,
      you¹ll find they have been involved with every armed conflict of this
      nation, from the Concord Bridge to the War on Terrorism. Also, in
      Arkansas and Alabama, to enforce segregation

      ahem. i think you mean desegregation buff...

      Troll

      ~~~~~~~

      Dear Jack Cook,

      I do not have amnesia, I just find that what GWB did less offensive than
      Billy Bob running off the England and leading the peace marchers. I was
      associated with the Indiana National Guard in 67/68 and know very well
      what people were doing to get in the Guard to avoid active duty. Do you
      remember Dan Quayle, his name was at the bottom of a waiting list that
      contained over 200 names. But, suddenly his name was at the top. People
      were doing it all over the USA. That does not make it right. Some people
      got caught, and some people went to jail, and some did not get caught.
      It was not a perfect system, but, the National Guard was able to
      maintain full membership. And, if you'll check you'll find several
      National Guard (Army and Air Force) units were called to active duty and
      served in Nam. So even the National Guard was not a totally safe haven.

      I go back to my first point, joining a National Guard unit (and at least
      exposing oneself to being called to active duty), whether the service
      was outstanding or not (he did receive an Honorable discharge) is less
      important to me than a coward who ran away.
      --
      Don of Niagara Falls

      ~~~~~~

      Dear Jim Mc Quain,

      Ah, I remember them well. The old M-35 (WWII) jeep and the M-35A1 (the
      later version with the rounded hood). One of my jobs as an enlisted man
      was the driver on a 106 Jeep. This was a M-35A1 that monted a 106mm
      Recoilless Rifle and crew of four, counting me. Because, of the heavy
      gun the engine was souped up a little. I found that on the open road, I
      could reach down and pull the throttle all the way and bury the
      speedometer needle about 2 inches past 60 MPH.

      But, they were also top heavy. One day we were out playing hoopy-hide in
      the woods of Camp Grayling, Michigan. We were moving from one firing
      position to another, which you do as quickly as possible in order not
      get shot. In fact, we were only hitting the tops of the bumps, when I
      hit a fire break as an angle. For those who do not know, in most large
      forests they go through with a dozer, or grader, and plow up a strip of
      bare earth to help prevent fires from speading. Anyway, at one side or
      the other, or both sides, this actions leaves a mound of dirt 2 to 3
      feet tall. Which, if you hit, going like a bat out of hell, at an angle,
      with a top heavy vehicle, tends to cause bad things to happen.

      Luckly no one was seriously hurt as we all landed clear of he vehicle in
      the pine trees. But, some trees did not fare as well, one destroyed
      itself indenting the hood, another received some serious cuts as it
      broke the windshield, and one was severly damage (cut off at the base)
      when the gun and mount became seperated from the jeep and traversed its
      location.

      The official ruling was that it was a "training related accident" and I
      did not have to pay for damages. But, my Platoon Sergeant took my job
      away from me and made me the carrier of the base plate for one of the
      81mm morters.
      --
      Don of Niagara Falls

      ~~~~~

      Dick in Albuquerque:
      Holy Batmobile! Exploding rodents! I love it. The helpful hints the
      readers keep sending in are really great. "My" squirrels are soon going
      to be slick with oil soap, smelling of aftershave, rolled in mothballs,
      bloated with gas... sounds like a bad blind date from the Disco Era...
      hehe, then KABOOM! I am guessing we won't be chasing baby squirrels
      through the house this winter.

      Alana in Oregon:
      I understand all too well grieving over a pet. I had a cat for 16 years
      who was extremely special. It's been a long time but I still have a hard
      time talking about her. If I was upset she would do anything to get
      close to me. She would never wander, she was always near by. I used to
      travel
      (drive) a lot. I would stop at a motel for the night, she would hop out
      of the truck, do her business and hop back in the truck and I would take
      her into the room with me. I have probably 50 photos of her and I would
      like to put all of them in a frame sometime. I will never forget her.
      She was born in San Diego and lived in 6 or 7 states with me. I had a
      couple parakeets once. The first one I got would never stay in any cage
      I tried. He always would get out. I got him for free, he showed up one
      day at a farm where I was working and no one ever claimed him so I took
      him home with me. I bought a female at Woolworth's to keep him company.
      I also had this barn kitten I had been feeding and one day I let the
      little monster in to eat. I went out to put something in the truck, was
      gone for less than a minute,but when I came back all that was left of
      Chirpy was a couple feathers. I was moving the next day, it was
      unbelievably hot (Maryland), and in one moment of stupidity I lost a
      friend. They aren't "just animals." Most of the animals, birds, etc.,
      that I have met are a lot more sensitive than the majority of the people
      I have met. Brika in Maine

      ~~~~~

      Buf, Long time member.....will take this time to thank you and yours.
      Thanks! I send you a copy of an article I sent to our local rag in
      Sterling, Illinois, USA. Hope you will see fit to run it too. Perhaps
      if we get together something can be done??? Maybe not.

      NEVERPAR.

      Subject: WAKE UP Mr. President!

      Editor, Please consider this for your "Readers Voice." Thank you.

      Shortly there is a great possibility our Armed Forces will need a Great
      influx of new people. With another war looming in the near future,
      Dubya will be needing more of our young people to bolster the ranks of
      the military. I am in agreement that people like Hussein and bin Laden
      must be stopped at almost all costs, however, IF we must put the young
      men and women of our nation in harms way, we MUST be prepared to back
      our promises. Morality used to be a big part of this country's code of
      ethics. It has been deteriorating rapidly in recent years to the point
      that one day our President is going to ask for help and no one will
      answer. On Wednesday, last, I was dismayed to read the AP release from
      Washington on page A7. "Vets not eligible for lifetime health care." In
      essence, Tuesday the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit,
      voted 9-4 to deny veterans health claims. The veterans in question were
      from the World War ll and the Korean War. Recruiters then promised they
      would get lifetime health care if they stayed in the service 20 years.

      IN OTHERWORDS, THE COURTS SIDE WITH THE GOVERNMENT IN SAYING WE DON'T
      NEED YOU NOW THAT YOU ARE OLD AND BOTHERSOME, SO JUST PURCHASE (HEAVEN
      FORBID IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY) YOUR OWN HEALTH INSURANCE!
      (SMACKS OF NORTHWESTERN STEEL and WIRE, DON'T YOU THINK?) MANY YEARS AGO
      THE ESKIMOS HAD ANOTHER PLAN FOR THEIR ELDERLY, THEY WERE LEFT ON AN ICE
      FLOW FOR THE POLAR BEARS. THERE WASN'T A PROBLEM, IT WAS UNDERSTOOD. WE
      ARE SUPPOSTO BE CIVILIZED NOW, WITH THE RESULT OF TAKING CARE OF THE
      ELDERLY, RETIRED VETERANS AS ADVERTISED. NO LIES OR BROKEN PROMISES,
      WAKE UP MR. PRESIDENT, THE PEOPLE ARE GETTING TIRED OF GOVERNMENTS'
      EMPTY PROMISES! IF IT BENEFITS YOU OR YOUR OIL BUDDIES YOU SEEM VERY
      QUICK TO TAKE UP THE HUE AND CRY!

      ~~~~~~~

      Peri

      You mentioned the fun you had, but how did the ceremony go? Hopefully
      well, and Congratulations one more time!

      Raymond

      Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
      mistake when you make it again.

      ~~~~~~

      Jay in Texas

      I must say, anyone crazy enough to strap themselves in a fire breathing
      vehicle, capable of crossing a quarter mile of asphalt, from a
      standstill, in a matter of seconds.

      Well, they have my undying respect and admiration!

      Raymond S. Bowen

      No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats
      --approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.

      ~~~~~~~

      Dear nosasmum,

      Muslims and divorce. To a pure/true Muslim there is only two (2) grounds
      for
      divoce: Adultry and infertility. With Adultry also comes the punishment
      of stoning. Infertility only brings shame on the girls family and they
      must give back the dowry. BUT!!!! Please understand that local laws also
      come into play. Outside of Saudi Arabia, most countries have local laws
      that dictate the grounds for divorce, i.e. Muslims living in New York
      can legally get a divorce only under New York rules and laws. This would
      apply in other states and countries.

      The Nigerian woman was apparently divoced based upon some Nigerian law,
      but, she became pregnant after her divorce. Which, according to her
      accusers, was adultry, which according to the Muslim law is punishable
      by stoning. The big problem here is a conflict between religous law and
      civil law. In the region she lives, there is no difference. The local
      government is dictated by Muslim law.

      I am well aware of the girls at the Saudi school. And, I'm sure there
      are other examples. I did not claim that things were that great in
      Saudi, only that they were getting better, slowly. Within any religion
      there are people who believe in the old way. Just as in the Catholic
      religion; American catholics are a lot more liberal about birth control
      and the role of women in the church, than the strict Roman catholics.
      --
      Don of Niagara Falls

      ~~~~~~~

      Gun Control

      From: Ed Chenel, a police officer in Australia.

      Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down
      Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were
      forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be
      destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers
      more than $500 million dollars.

      The first year results are now in: Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2
      percent, Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent, Australia-wide,
      armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

      In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300
      percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the
      criminals did not and criminals still possess their
      guns!) While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease
      in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in
      the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their
      prey is unarmed. There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins
      and assaults of the elderly.

      Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has
      decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in
      "successfully ridding Australian society of guns." You won't see this
      data on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of
      the state Assembly disseminating this information.

      The Australian experience proves it. Guns in the hands of honest
      citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only
      the law-abiding citizens. Take note Americans, before it's too late!

      .oooO
      ( ) Oooo.
      ----------\ (--------( )---------
      \_ ) ) /
      From: Ann Lindholm (_ / AKA: Doubloon

      ~~~~~~~

      Dear Kas,

      Personnal responsibility disappeared in the 80s with the "me
      generation".
      --
      Don of Niagara Falls

      ~~~~~~~~

      Hi Buffalo

      I don't mean to alarm you or the other members of the herd, but I ran
      across this today:

      witzelsucht (vit'sel-zoocht) [Ger.]

      "A mental condition characteristic of frontal lobe lesions and marked by
      the making of poor jokes and puns and the telling of pointless stories,
      at which the patient himself is intensely amused."

      From Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 26th edition.

      ROTFLMAO

      Jim Mc Quain

      bufffalo says What kind of treatment are you receiving for this
      disorder?

      ~~~~~

      Copied from Linky & Dinky:

      ASTOUNDING 360 DEGREE VISTAS!

      Stand atop a sand dune and look at pyramids at Giza in all directions!
      Use your mouse to gaze (pan/drag right/left and up/down)... Hold down
      the shift key to zoom, and the control key to unzoom! Click on those
      gray numbers at the top to switch to another eye-popping view of another
      place on Earth, or, click on "index" to see the complete list. This land
      is your land.
      http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen/fullscreen38.html
      vision grand? </a>
      --
      Don of Niagara Falls

      ~~~~~~~

      Don,
      You seem like a pretty smart guy. So how come you have this amnesia
      about ol Dubya's Military record. Here is something to help refresh your
      memory... 1. Pulled Strings to Get In. On May 27, 1968, George Bush Jr.
      was 12 days away from losing his student draft deferment, at a time when

      Col. Staudt was so
      excited about the direct appointment that he saged another special
      ceremony for the press, this time with Bush's father the congressman
      standing prominently in the background. The direct appointment process
      was discontinued in the 1970s.

      Jack Cook

      Another Democrat who can't admit to defeat. GBerry, Texas

      ~~~~~~

      Jim McQuain, I can't decide whether you are just plain mean, damnably
      funny or if it's just because you are a Texan. That's it, you are a
      Texan. I really would like that recipe for mepyew. I bet I have a
      better one than you, though.

      For Dixie.

      As to blondes. You must remember that some of us are just blonde on the
      inside. It doesn't really show. We try to hide it. Just closet blondes,
      I guess.

      For a change, I am kind of aggravated(understatement)at the people who
      took the time to write in long pieces about how smoke from a fireplace
      was not as bad as smoke from a cigarette, and on and on. While the
      points they made were all valid, and all very true, not one of them
      remembered or maybe didn't get to read, Pogo's contention that if you
      hated cigarette smoke enough to badger smokers, then it was hypocritical
      to sit in front of a fireplace in the smoking section of a restaurant.
      He is absolutely right. If you gripe about smokers and their smoke, then
      it would behoove you to avoid cigarette smoke anywhere, anyhow, any
      time. There isn't a fireplace in the world interesting enough, beautiful
      enough or warm enough to make me sit with a bunch of smokers to enjoy
      it. Now, I would not be above badgering the management to provide us
      smoke free folks with pink lungs for a fireplace of our own. Well
      ventilated, of course. Hehehe

      Can't remember who had the dream with me as a country dance instructor.
      I love it. But rest assured not one of those dudes had better stick
      his/her hand in his/her jeans and try to be a back country Rockette. A
      clout to the chops would be the reward. Ok, all you hotheads who love to
      do this silly dance, get on with it. I can take it.

      Thanks everyone for a real intersting scuttlebutt.

      MaryE in Texas

      ~~~~~~~~

      hi buff,,,
      i have tried to stay out of the language bit, but i must say that when
      anybody, (and i did) lives on the mexican border and has a mexican come
      up in his yard and tell him that if he intends to live in "this valley"
      you will have to learn to speak spanish,,,, well i think they would
      probably do just what i did,,, i explained to that person very plainly
      that i was born on the NORTH side of the Rio Grande, and that if they
      wished to speak to me they could learn english,,, i still have not
      completely mastered the english language, so why shoud i be expected to
      take on another one just for their convenience??? and yes i do speak
      with a southern drawl and am not ashamed of it,,, it is at least
      english,, thanks buff and keep up the good work,,,, bill in missouri

      ~~~~~

      Buffalo-- I edited this down as far as I could. It's 123 lines, 965
      words --you would think I worked as an editorial columnist who was
      allowed full length articles! Sometimes things need to get said when the
      attacking opinion not only fails to cite references to refute data, but
      repeatably claims you do not do your research. In many cases, it is not
      worth the response; in some cases it is necessary despite the hours it
      takes to carefully prepare an article of this magnitude. hang in there,
      buff --attila

      response to X by attila:

      I have been a researcher all my life. I have two doctorates: one
      in law; the other in information technology... the former I
      strongly disavow.

      I do not read mainstream American news, let alone watch the media
      circus on television, as it is packaged and canned. I place no
      value in news which is sanitized, here or abroad, for political
      correctness or to assuage liberal guilt --particularly by the Old
      Gray Lady (The New York Times --although I do read Maureen Dowd
      for her way with words no matter what affront she hustles).

      I _pay_ to read Stratfor, Geo-Strategy, DEBKA, IHT, and other
      private intelligence providers who shall remain unnamed, and enjoy
      a personal, private, professional network of information among
      correspondents. I do read the foreign press including subscribing
      to Middle East translations; and, in particular, the writings of
      distinguished experts here and abroad: historians, political
      scientists, economists, legal, military analysts, etc.

      One misstatement in particular amused me: "They [Wahabi] are a sect
      set up by the British..." --no, the Brits chose a tribal chieftain
      to rule that area of the Arabian peninsula and that obviously
      _included_ their Wahabi faith which the Brits failed to evaluate
      --they had absolutely no concept of the Islamic world and probably
      did not know (or care) the difference between Shi'ite, Sunni, or
      Wahabi.

      If you want to get down to particulars, the Brits broke the
      Ottoman Empire in WWI; they did not use the Saudis and their
      Wahabi religion to break anyone.

      The Brits also made some ridiculous decisions partitioning the
      Arabian peninsula, basically to provide competing powers rather
      than permitting any one area to unify. To add to the problem, The
      British Balfor declaration at the end of WWI promised the Jewish
      people a homeland in Palestine --a land from which they had been
      absent since the Romans leveled Jerusalem in 64 AD and 'The
      Diaspora' began --this became the most potent unifying factor
      among the un-unifiable Arabs (and Persian Muslims).

      One must feel sorry for Jack Straw, the Brit foreign minister who
      let it all hang out last week about the liberal guilt over the
      British Empire, but he sure blew Labour's bargaining chips.

      As for the support for Osama, the numbers are real, unfortunately
      --poll after poll shows the support; you can be assured the
      governments of these Muslim lands don't like the numbers any
      better than Western realists; but, the media's multi-culturist
      dream is not reality, and until the mainstream takes off their
      rose colored glasses and sees _and_ reports the facts, we have a
      problem starting with the absence of basic journalistic honesty.

      Neither the US government, nor the media, can come to grips with
      the House of Saud's support for exporting Wahabism to the U.S.
      where 80% of the Muslim academies preach the uncompromising views
      to their Muslim students; and whose students state publicly that
      they will not serve in the armed forces of the country they claim
      to have adopted (the same is true in Britain). Nor is the West
      willing to really lay it on the line for the Saudi's continuing
      support for bin Laden --let alone the fact bin Laden apparently is
      in Saudi Arabia's lawless 'Empty Quarter'.

      Read the translations of Arafat, Assad, Abdullah, Khatami and
      Khamenei, Musharraf, and other Muslim leaders in their native
      languages. They say one thing in English which makes the 'film' at
      11 and the mass media. Then they put forth an entirely different
      line in their native language to their people. The first is what
      the Western press wants to hear and is promulgated; the native
      text is later, and the delayed translation never makes the
      mainstream papers, let alone a sound bite oriented news presenter.

      I also suggest you read Harvard professor Samuel Huntingdon's
      Book: 'Clash of Civilizations' a paragraph of which states:

      If the leaders of other countries have at times attempted to
      disavow their cultural heritage and shift the identity of
      their country from one civilisation to another, in no case to
      date have they succeeded, and they have instead created
      schizophrenic torn countries. The American multi-culturalists
      similarly reject their country's cultural heritage. Instead of
      attempting to identify the US with another civilisation, they
      wish to create a country of many civilisations, which is to
      say a country not belonging to any civilisation and lacking a
      cultural one.'

      'The Clash of Civilizations and the Remaking of World Order'
      by Samuel P. Huntington

      'Political Order in Changing Societies'
      by Samuel P. Huntington

      Both available from Amazon or your local public library. And, to
      put it in a more direct perspective without the intellectual
      richness of Huntington's work, read:

      'True Meaning of Treachery', by Anthony Milne
      http://www.spearhead-uk.com/0112-am.html

      which details the Brit elitist-intellectuals and their problems
      with their heritage and their self-loathing and guilt trips for
      their own culture which is also applicable to the United States.

      I might also suggest reading some of Dr. Daniel Pipes, Director of
      the Middle East Forum (http://www.danielpipes.org).

      One of the greatest failings of the Western mainstream press is
      their failure to report anything which might cut them off from
      their foreign sources; that coupled with their elitist guilt trips
      is dangerous. The more they fall for the untruth, the more they
      are fed.

      I may have strong opinions, among them that the West is engaged in
      a cultural war against a movement whose goal is a world wide
      Caliphate, but I read, and I read, and I correspond. And, I am not
      afraid of the truth. I did not spend too many years commanding
      "non-existent" black-ops to watch silently as elitist
      intellectuals with their guilt trips give our country away.

      Failing to understand the "enemy" is tantamount to surrender.

      War is a war crime in and of itself.
      There are no winners, only survivors.

      attila

      not as lean,
      not as mean,
      but still a Marine.

      ~~~~~~~

      Hey, Buff,
      Sorry to hear about your ulcer problems. Just wanted to say how much I
      enjoy your "chips", and that I hope you get to feeling better real soon.
      Thought I would add the following to help cheer you up.

      How To Simulate Being A Sailor

      Buy a steel dumpster, paint it gray inside and out, and live in it for
      six months.

      Run all the pipes and wires in your house exposed on the walls.

      Repaint your entire house every month.

      Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of the bathtub
      and move the shower head to chest level. When you take showers, make
      sure you turn off the water while you soap down.

      Put lube oil in your humidifier and set it on high.

      Once a week, blow compressed air up your chimney, making sure the wind
      carries the soot onto your neighbor's house. Ignore his complaints.

      Once a month, take all major appliances apart and then reassemble them.

      Raise the thresholds and lower the headers of your front and back doors,
      so that you either trip or bang your head every time you pass through
      them.

      Disassemble and inspect your lawnmower every week.

      On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, turn your water heater temperature
      up to 200 degrees. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, turn the water heater off.
      On Saturdays and Sundays tell your family they use too much water during
      the week, so no bathing will be allowed.

      Raise your bed to within 6 inches of the ceiling, so you can't turn over
      without getting out and then getting back in.

      Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Replace the closet door with a
      curtain. Have your spouse whip open the curtain about 3 hours after you
      go to sleep, shine a flashlight in your eyes, and say "Sorry, wrong
      rack".

      Make your family qualify to operate each appliance in your house -
      dishwasher operator, blender technician, etc.

      Have your neighbor come over each day at 5 am, blow a whistle so loud
      Helen Keller could hear it, and shout "Reveille, reveille, all hands
      heave out and trice up".

      Have your mother-in-law write down everything she's going to do the
      following day, then have her make you stand in your back yard at 6 a.m.
      while she reads it to you.

      Submit a request chit to your father-in-law requesting permission to
      leave your house before 3 pm.

      Empty all the garbage bins in your house and sweep the driveway three
      times a day, whether it needs it or not. (Now sweepers, sweepers, man
      your brooms, give the ship a clean sweep down fore and aft, empty all
      shitcans over the fantail.)

      Have your neighbor collect all your mail for a month, read your
      magazines, and randomly lose every 5th item before delivering it to you.

      Watch no TV except for movies played in the middle of the night. Have
      your family vote on which movie to watch, then show a different one.

      When your children are in bed, run into their room with a megaphone
      shouting that your home is under attack and ordering them to their
      battle stations. (Now general quarters, general quarters, all hands man
      your battle
      stations.)

      Make your family menu a week ahead of time without consulting the pantry
      or refrigerator.

      Post a menu on the kitchen door informing your family that they are
      having steak for dinner. Then make them wait in line for an hour. When
      they finally get to the kitchen, tell them you are out of steak, but
      they can have dried ham or hot dogs. Repeat daily until they ignore the
      menu and just ask for hot dogs.

      Bake a cake. Prop up one side of the pan so the cake bakes unevenly.
      Spread icing real thick to level it off.

      Get up every night around midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly
      sandwich on stale bread. (midrats)

      Set your alarm clock to go off a random during the night. At the alarm,
      jump up and dress as fast as you can, making sure to button your top
      shirt button and tuck your pants into your socks. Run out into the back
      yard and uncoil the garden hose.

      Every week or so, throw your cat or dog in the pool and shout "Man
      overboard port side!" Rate your family members on how fast they respond.

      Put the headphones from your stereo on your head, but don't plug them
      in. Hang a paper cup around your neck on a string. Stand in front of the
      stove, and speak into the paper cup "Stove manned and ready". After an
      hour or so, speak into the cup again "Stove secured." Roll up the
      headphones and paper cup and stow them in a shoebox.

      Place a podium at the end of your driveway. Have your family stand
      watches at the podium, rotating at 4 hour intervals. This is best done
      when the weather is worst. January is a good time.

      When there is a thunderstorm in your area, get a wobbly rocking chair,
      sit in it and rock as hard as you can until you become nauseous. Make
      sure to have a supply of stale crackers in your shirt pocket.

      For former engineers: bring your lawn mower into the living room, and
      run it all day long.

      Make coffee using eighteen scoops of budget priced coffee grounds per
      pot, and allow the pot to simmer for 5 hours before drinking.

      Have someone under the age of ten give you a haircut with sheep shears.

      Sew the back pockets of your jeans on the front.

      Every couple of weeks, dress up in your best clothes and go to the
      scummiest part of town. Find the most run down, trashiest bar, and drink
      beer until you are hammered. Then walk all the way home.

      Take a two week vacation visiting the red light districts of Europe or
      the Far East, and call it "world travel".

      Lock yourself and your family in the house for six weeks. Tell them that
      at the end of the 6th week you are going to take them to Disney World
      for "liberty". At the end of the 6th week, inform them the trip to
      Disney World has been canceled because they need to get ready for an
      inspection, and it will be another week before they can leave the house.

      Get well soon!
      From an ex-MM1 (on USS Enterprise, CVN-65, 1972-1977)

      ~~~~~~

      Hello to the herd...hope your thanksgiving was wonderful. This was sent
      to me by my friend Sue and is one of the most reasoned and balanced
      answers I have ever read regarding the issue of learning the language if
      you come to Americ/Canada.
      Maurice:
      I was raised in a different type of household. I had a mother and a dad
      and I had siblings so in that respect, I guess it was "normal." My dad
      worked at night, I don't remember my mother working when I was really
      young (at least not outside the house). But this is not about whether
      or not my childhood was normal; this is about why I have learned that it
      was different. Insatiable curiosity may not have been easy to handle
      for my siblings and my parents but it certainly was not discouraged. I
      was probably-okay certainly-annoying with my questions but I was usually
      tolerated, nothing is always tolerated. So throughout my childhood I
      asked questions of anyone and everyone, I think the best way to
      illustrate what I mean is to tell about something I did when I was in
      middle school. I was riding in the car with someone, I wish I remember
      whom, and we saw a surveyor on the side of the road. I commented that I
      wanted to know what they were looking at through that little instrument
      on the tripod. I came to the conclusion that I would get out of the car
      and go ask, however I was kept from actually doing so by the person I
      was with. Years later, I think I was in college, I did get out of a car
      and go over and ask the surveyor what he was looking at? What he was
      looking for? In essence how he did his job? There is a whole page on my
      website http://www.netexpress.net/~taibhse/
      dedicated to the things I have be
      curious about, but once again this is off topic for what I want to write
      here. I want to discuss some things I learned in high school, through
      my dad and history classes. And I am proud to say that it is going to
      take the form of a rant.I would apologize but I wouldn't mean it.. Just
      after 9/11 I received an email from a friend about being American, at
      least I think that was the subject, and yet I found that it had little
      to do with being American and more to do with being ignorant. At the
      time I chalked it up to high emotions. However, I recently received
      another email similar in nature to the first and now I cannot cite
      emotions for the words. So I am addressing the issue here and now: Both
      emails addressed the "culture" of the United States. What is the
      culture of the United States? Is it the culture of the "white, urban,
      Protestant" people? Perhaps the culture of the Irish and Scottish
      immigrants I am proud to be descended from? Or maybe it is the culture
      of the black people of our nation? Who defines the culture of America?
      Catholics? Jews? Protestants? Buddhists? Or do you truly believe that
      they are all the same culture? I can tell you that there are millions of
      people who will disagree with you. I celebrate different holidays that
      my parents, they have different traditions than my best friend and his
      family, and he has different beliefs than my mother and stepfather. The
      next thing I took issue with is the idea that "we speak English." Did
      you know that there is NOT an official language in the United States?
      That' s right, English is the "common" language, not the official one.
      And trust me, there is huge difference. Just ask the French who had an
      official language of Latin until 1539 even though French (the common
      language) had been spoken by a majority of people and even used to write
      many official Edicts since before 842 C.E. A sidebar issue to this is
      one that has bothered me for several years. Why is it that the United
      States is the only country in which it is not required to be fluent in a
      second language? I have taken six years of Spanish, and I am not fluent.
      Had I been raised in England, I would have been expected to not just
      learn enough Spanish to get through the tests but I would be expected to
      recite entire poems in Spanish from memory, just like I was expected to
      recite Shakespeare in the 7th and 9th grades. Then we get into the God
      thing. It's no secret that I am not Christian. That doesn't mean that
      "God offends me" or even that the use of his name offends me, what I am
      offended by is people who think that they can tell me that because our
      founding fathers chose "In God We Trust" as ONE of our national mottos
      that I am not free to learn in a place that does not have God's name on
      the walls. For those of you that do not know, the United States has TWO
      national mottos. "In God We Trust" is one of them; I rather like it
      because it shows that the wo/men who founded our nation believed in
      something bigger than themselves. They had faith and hope, two things
      that I truly believe we would have perished without. Yes, the United
      States was founded on "Christian principles," ideas like "love your
      neighbor as yourself," (Matthew 19:19) and "if anyone strikes you on the
      right cheek, turn the other also." (Matthew 5:39) Of course people
      forget that these are the principles on which their country was founded
      when it's no longer convenient to remember them. I suggest that those
      who are so quick to remind the rest of us of the origins of our country
      keep a Bible on hand to remind them of the basis for that origin. I made
      mention that there were two national mottos of the United States, the
      second one fits into my last issue with these emails. At the end the
      writer states "We are happy with our culture and have no desire to
      change," If we are so happy with the way things are and have no desire
      to change, then why did the writer even bother to write this? "and we
      really don't care how you did things where you came from." I couldn't
      disagree more. Because our other national motto is "E Pluribus Unum."
      Do you know what it means? It means "Out of Many, One." Out of
      many-many people, many cultures, many traditions and holidays and
      beliefs-One. As I choose to be, Sue
      ****
      "forsan et haec olim meminisse iuvabit"
      -Latin for "perhaps one day it will even be pleasant to remember these
      things" (Virgil, Aeneid book II)

      ~~~~~~~

      Buffalo -

      Kudos to Dianne, with her list of how to be thrifty. I have had to do
      exactly as she says for most of my life. When I was struggling, these
      methods helped greatly. When I was relatively comfortable, I was able
      to stretch my assets so much further than many others could, because I
      was so practiced. The New Englanders have a saying :

      "Use it up, wear it out, make it do." All of the things Dianne listed
      really work, and without causing one to seem poverty-stricken. Done
      well, nobody else will ever know one's circumstances !

      To Pat, from North Tonawanda : I have tried a couple of times to
      express the opinions you present so well. People are what count. Their
      language skill, or lack of it, is immaterial. The same, by the way,
      with their religion. We should not be so judgemental ! We should all
      remember the Golden Rule...

      Uncle George... as the unofficial custodian of grammatical certitude on
      Buffalo's cataloguings , you nevertheless have me totally intimidated by
      your list of verbosities - LOL

      Ganny

      ~~~~~~~

      Buffalo,

      I don't know if you ahve seen this or not. I thought that it might
      interest you. I know that you get thousands of e-mails and may not have
      time to reply, but maybe you would like to put it in your scuttlebutt.

      There are a few reasons that I joined the Marine Corps, one is to do
      my part as an American. I have so much respect for any and everyone that
      has been in the military since this country was born. Reading the
      following message made me so mad it wasn't even funny. Im risking my
      life to do my part but Target can't spend a couple dollars to do theirs?
      I personally am not going to be shopping at Target again and I ask you
      to do the same.

      LCpl M James Hernandez
      United States Marine Corps, Active
      HernandezMJ@...

      Dear Vets,

      If you plan on shopping at Targets anytime soon; please
      don't.

      Bob Cole
      -
      By Dick Forrey, Vietnam Veterans Association

      We asked our local Target store to be a sponsor of the
      Vietnam Veterans'
      Memorial Wall during our spring recognition event. We
      received back a reply
      from Target management that "veterans do not meet our area
      of giving. We
      only donate to the areas of arts, social actions and
      education.

      "My thought: If the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall and the
      Vietnam veteran
      himself, does not meet the criteria of these areas,
      something is wrong at
      Target. We were not asking for thousands of dollars, not
      even hundreds, but
      simply sponsorship endorsement for a "memorial remembrance".

      As follow-up, I e-mailed the corporate Headquarters and
      their response was
      the same. Personally, I will NOT be buying anything at
      Target Stores again.
      If the Vietnam Veteran does not meet their area of giving
      then why should I,
      as a Vietnam veteran, spend my hard earned money in their
      stores?

      Please pass this on to as many people as you know. Maybe
      Target and other
      businesses will get the message.

      Veterans Helping Veterans.

      Charles D. CAMPBELL
      Fort Wainwright Resident Agency
      22nd MP BN, USACIDC
      Fort Wainwright, AK 99703
      907-353-7538/7880

      buffalo says this is another one of those Yes it happened but Target did
      some massive Damage Control afterward which is why I haven't printed it
      before. You Urban Legend types can check it out at
      http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/boycotts/target.htm
      and it is listed as ambiguous meaning they are both right but wrong.

      ~~~~~~~~~~

      Hello from Van, Texas!

      We are a class of second grade gifted and talented students from Van in
      the great state of Texas. We are located in Van Zandt County in the
      north eastern part of the state. Our teacher, Cathy Wolf, is helping us
      by allowing us to use her e-mail address as our e-mail receiver. We have
      decided to map an e-mail project to learn more about the geography of
      our world. We are curious to see where in the world our e-mail will
      travel via the Internet between today, November 14 and Wednesday,
      December 18 (about a month). This is not a pen pal project, so we will
      not write back unless you request it.

      We would greatly appreciate your help. Here is what we need you to do:

      1. E-mail us back at: wolfc@... and tell us your
      city/state/country/ or location so we can plot you on our map. 2. Send
      this letter on to everyone you know, so that they can send it on to
      everyone they know and we can reach as many people as possible.

      We don't mind repeats so send it on to everyone. We will keep a graph in
      our class using the numbers received by state and country. With your
      help, we can make this a very exciting learning experience. Thanks for
      your help!

      Mrs. Cathy Wolf The VANTAGE VOYAGERS
      J.E. Rhodes Elementary
      P.O. Box 697 Van, TX 75790

      Pat from Texas

      ~~~~~~~

      Please, take a moment, America has lost a soldier.

      MODEL FOR 'CHINA BEACH' NURSE DIES

      Anyone who even saw a single episode of the TV series "China Beach"
      quickly understood the heroism under fire of the nur- ses who served in
      Vietnam. One of those women was Lynda Van Devanter. Her exploits became
      the wellspring from which plot- lines for the television series were
      drawn. Now, according to the Vietnam Veterans of America, Van Devanter
      has died
      -- possibly as the result of her coming into contact with chemical
      war-fighting agents during her time in Southeast Asia. After her return
      to the states, she became active in working to get health benefits for
      other returning veterans. She lobbied on Capitol Hill in her work,
      becoming closely associated with Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii. They
      worked on legislation that would give female veterans the same
      treatment rights at VA hospitals as their male counterparts. In the
      1980s, she wrote of her wartime experiences in a memoir called "Home
      Before Morning." A loving wife and mother, she balanced her time with
      her family with count- less trips around the country to talk with her
      fellow vet- erans and to crusade for investigations into the use of
      Agent Orange and other chemicals in Vietnam. As her condi- tion
      deteriorated in recent months, she claimed that her contact with those
      chemicals had led to her getting a con- dition called collagen vascular
      disease. Lynda Van Devanter was only 55.

      ~~~~~~~~~

      Thanksgiving Lesson forward by MG David Gray USAF ret

      Today's Washington Post has a column by a previously uninteresting
      Eastern liberal that reminds us to give special thanks this week for the
      men and women, living and dead, to whom we owe so much. The nation
      needs to remember a lesson stated most succinctly by George Orwell: "We
      sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to
      visit violence on those who would do us harm."

      My Heart on the Line
      By Frank Schaeffer
      Tuesday, November 26, 2002; Page A29

      Before my son became a Marine, I never thought much about who was
      defending me. Now when I read of the war on terrorism or the coming
      conflict in Iraq, it cuts to my heart. When I see a picture of a member
      of our military who has been killed, I read his or her name very
      carefully. Sometimes I cry.

      In 1999, when the barrel-chested Marine recruiter showed up in dress
      blues and bedazzled my son John, I did not stand in the way. John was
      headstrong, and he seemed to understand these stern, clean men with
      straight backs and flawless uniforms. I did not. I live on the
      Volvo-driving, higher education-worshiping North Shore of Boston. I
      write novels for a living. I have never served in the military.

      It had been hard enough sending my two older children off to Georgetown
      and New York University. John's enlisting was unexpected, so deeply
      unsettling. I did not relish the prospect of answering the question "So
      where is John going to college?" from the parents who were itching to
      tell me all about how their son or daughter was going to Harvard. At the
      private high school John attended, no other students were going into the
      military.

      "But aren't the Marines terribly Southern?" asked one perplexed mother
      while standing next to me at the brunch following graduation. "What a
      waste, he was such a good student," said another parent. One parent (a
      professor at a nearby and rather famous university) spoke up at a school
      meeting and suggested that the school should "carefully evaluate what
      went wrong."

      When John graduated from three months of boot camp on Parris Island,
      3,000 parents and friends were on the parade deck stands. We parents and
      our Marines not only were of many races but also were representative of
      many economic classes. Many were poor. Some arrived crammed in the backs
      of pickups, others by bus. John told me that a lot of parents could not
      afford the trip.

      We in the audience were white and Native American. We were Hispanic,
      Arab and African American and Asian. We were former Marines wearing the
      scars of battle, or at least baseball caps emblazoned with battles'
      names. We were Southern whites from Nashville and skinheads from New
      Jersey, black kids from Cleveland wearing ghetto rags and white ex-cons
      with ham-hock forearms defaced by jailhouse tattoos. We would not have
      been mistaken for the educated and well-heeled parents gathered on the
      lawns of John's private school a half-year before.

      After graduation one new Marine told John, "Before I was a Marine, if I
      had ever seen you on my block I would've probably killed you just
      because you were standing there." This was a serious statement from one
      of John's good friends, an African American ex-gang member from Detroit
      who, as John said, "would die for me now, just like I'd die for him."

      My son has connected me to my country in a way that I was too selfish
      and insular to experience before. I feel closer to the waitress at our
      local diner than to some of my oldest friends. She has two sons in the
      Corps. They are facing the same dangers as my boy. When the guy who
      fixes my car asks me how John is doing, I know he means it. His younger
      brother is in the Navy.

      Why were I and the other parents at my son's private school so surprised
      by his choice? During World War II, the sons and daughters of the most
      powerful and educated families did their bit. If the immorality of the
      Vietnam War was the only reason those lucky enough to go to college
      dodged the draft, why did we not encourage our children to volunteer for
      military service once that war was done?

      Have we wealthy and educated Americans all become pacifists? Is the
      world a safe place? Or have we just gotten used to having somebody else
      defend us? What is the future of our democracy when the sons and
      daughters of the janitors at our elite universities are far more likely
      to be put in harm's way than are any of the students whose dorms their
      parents clean?

      I feel shame because it took my son's joining the Marine Corps to make
      me take notice of who is defending me. I feel hope because perhaps my
      son is part of a future "greatest generation." As the storm clouds of
      war gather, at least I know that I can look the men and women in uniform
      in the eye. My son is one of them. He is the best I have to offer. He is
      my heart.

      Happy Thanksgiving to all of you....BJ & Sherie

      ~~~~~~~

      Something happened in this little town of mine that might go unnoticed
      everywhere else but it kind of set me straight for a while at least as I
      go through each day with my own brand of piorities. I'm sure that you
      all have known someone like Jamie at one time or another. Maybe you knew
      them well. Maybe just in passing. Either way your life is richer for the
      experience. I thought that perhaps just for a small time ( just a few
      minutes?) we might forget the politics, the religions, the spelling
      debates and whatever else we deem so important here in lieu of a few
      minutes of reflecting on what is really important in this world we all
      inhabit. Jamie would have.

      Good Samaritan dies of heart attack
      By Walt Reichert
      Sentinel-News Staff Writer
      Honorary Simpsonville Firefighter Jamie Duncan had already collected $67
      in pennies for the upcoming Crusade for Children. Bowling fan Jamie
      Duncan raised $1,650 for Big Brothers/Big Sisters last year and had
      planned to double that amount this year. Shelby County High School class
      of '91 graduate Jamie Duncan kept in touch with his classmates and was
      already planning their 11th reunion. But Duncan will not know the
      outcome of those efforts. He died suddenly, apparently of a massive
      heart attack, Nov. 19 while sitting in a chair in his room -- a room he
      had turned into a blue and white shrine to University of Kentucky
      basketball. "They tried to revive him. But Daddy and I took one look at
      him and knew he was gone," said Duncan's mother, Lillie. "The doctor
      said he was probably dead before he hit the floor." Duncan's
      friendliness, his school spirit, his efforts to help others, especially
      children, touched hundreds in the community who stood in line last week
      to attend his visitation at Hall-Taylor Funeral Home and who followed
      his body in a UK casket for burial on a bone-chilling Friday afternoon.
      Steve Collins, of Hall-Taylor, said Duncan's was one of the largest
      funerals ever held at the funeral home. Betsye Spaulding, owner of
      Betsye's Flower and Gift Shop in Simpsonville, said she nearly ran out
      of blue and white ribbon to use on the 30 orders for flowers that came
      to her shop alone. "Everybody who called just loved that boy," Spaulding
      said.

      Mr. Everything
      Jamie Duncan was born Dec. 30,1970, with what his mother called "a touch
      of Downs." An older brother, Timothy William, had Down Syndrome and died
      at 17 months of age. Albert and Lillie Duncan also have two daughters,
      Karen and Lee. At Shelby County High School, Duncan got involved in
      sports, from leading pep rallies to being team manager of the basketball
      team. He even stayed on to manage the team for a few years after he
      graduated. "He was Mr. Everything when it came to school spirit," said
      retired SCHS teacher Boyd Phillips. After his graduation, he stayed in
      touch with most of his classmates and planned this year's 10th reunion,
      said AnnWilson Phalen, who had been vice president of the class. "He's
      the one that had everybody's phone number, remembered everybody's
      birthday, knew when they got married or had kids," Phalen said. Right
      after high school, Duncan went to work for Nace Huber, owner of Junkins
      Run Farm, cleaning after the horses, painting and mowing. He worked for
      Huber for 12 years. "He did all the jobs I couldn't or didn't want to
      do. He did them cheerfully and with pride in his work seven days a week,
      365 days a year," Huber said.

      Loved kids
      Four years ago, the Simpsonville Fire District made Duncan an honorary
      member. He couldn't go into fires, but he helped man the office and did
      odd jobs around Station No. 2, Fire chief Walter Jones said. Duncan also
      threw himself wholeheartedly into the department's efforts to raise
      money for the Crusade for Children, Jones said. Lillie Duncan said he
      would stand in the street all day collecting for the Crusade during the
      campaign. "He'd make you stop and give him money, too," she said.
      Duncan's care for kids also led him to help out St. Jude's Hospital and
      Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Last year, Duncan turned his favorite sport,
      bowling, into a fund raiser for Big Brothers/Big Sisters. He earned
      $1,650 for that organization during last year's Bowl for Kids' Sake. "He
      raised the most money by a person or a corporation. But he raised his
      $10, $15, $20 at a time, so you know how much effort it took," said
      Kathy Ising, branch manager for Shelby County Big Brothers/Big Sisters.
      "He just loved kids," Lillie Duncan said. Albert Duncan said he doesn't
      know why, but somewhere along the way Jamie picked up an affinity for
      University of Kentucky basketball. Jamie's bed is covered with a UK
      quilt, his wall is lined with pictures of Tubby Smith and team members.
      Each year since 1989, someone from UK has sent him an autographed
      picture of the team on a plaque. "Jamie always asks 'Who sends me this?'
      I always told him 'That's the best kind of gift to get,'" Lillie said.
      In a frame, Duncan has an autographed shirt worn by former UK basketball
      player Jeff Shepherd. Below the framed shirt, the Duncans have placed
      the Simpsonville firefighters helmet, No. 460. On Monday, Lillie and
      Albert Duncan were at the kitchen table looking over photos of Jamie.
      Jamie getting a pie in his face to raise money for kids, Jamie at the
      bowling alley, Jamie with one of his many friends, Jamie at Disney World
      with his nephews. Three-year-old Bennett Shannon, one of five kids
      Lillie baby-sits, had told her that he missed Jamie when he came in
      Monday morning. "Then he told us, 'I know where Jamie is. He is with
      Jesus,'" Lillie said.

      spunky5180

      ```````

      Planning to sell your home or buy another within the next 5 months?
      Don't gamble with the biggest transaction of your life! Instead, let the
      best agents compete for your business: use HomeGain's FREE service to
      compare agents in your neighborhood from small local brokerages to large
      national companies like Century 21®, Prudential®, and more! Complete a
      short proposal request and get the facts on agents' commission rates,
      experience, and background--quickly and anonymously. It's all FREE and
      there is no obligation. Click here to experience the best way to find
      the perfect agent! http://oz.valueclick.com/r/hs0240501/a0071306/0