need the name of an attorney

  • TheresaL
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi - Can anyone recommend the name of an attorney? I've already spoken with Connelly, Jacobson & John and can't use them because of a conflict of interest with CRSD. Thank you. Theresa
    • gieshouse50@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009

        Hinkle, Fingles & Prior Attorney Biographies
        Attorneys at Hinkle, Fingles & Prior have more than seventy years of combined experience providing expert counsel and legal services to families of people with disabilities and seniors. The firm's attorneys have argued many of the precedent setting cases affecting people with disabilities in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

        Hi - Can anyone recommend the name of an attorney? I've already spoken with Connelly, Jacobson & John and can't use them because of a conflict of interest with CRSD. Thank you. Theresa

      • Andrea Nissenbaum
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
          Hi Theresa,

          Did you try Caryl Oberman's office in Willow Grove?

          Andrea

          Hi - Can anyone recommend the name of an attorney? I've already spoken with Connelly, Jacobson & John and can't use them because of a conflict of interest with CRSD. Thank you. Theresa

        • elizabeth
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
            We also used an attorney from caryl obermans office
            Lisa

            From: "Andrea Nissenbaum" <ajoyn716@...>
            Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 15:59:29 -0500
            To: <bucksautism@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [bucksautism] need the name of an attorney

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
              I could tell you who I wouldn't use... I'm starting to think the whole attorney/advocate thing is a big scam. Maybe its because it's a never ending unresolved issue. Maybe it's because I'm just bitter. Doesn't seem like getting an attorney ever changes things or makes them better.

              Wendy
            • gieshouse50@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                AMEN
                You are better off educating yourself or befriending families who have been there/done that! It will cost you so much unless you have a friend or family member w/a background of special education rights.

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009

                  I'm not generally a poster anymore to anything.

                  Please, avoid due process when you can.

                  My sons are 16 now... after being in 6+ due processes, I homeschool one of my sons.  There are no answers through the court system. None.  Every once in awhile you get an honest decision... but then it is reversed in the next level.

                  Don't waste your precious energy.

                  It affected mine... I can say that now.  It has been a few years since due processes... it has affected my health.  I can honestsly say that I have my cancer now from the stress alone specifically due process.  The thoughts/memories of the lies will never ever go away... I still have nightmares of sd personnel sitting as a witness, lying through their teeth, the feeling of hopelessness, hurt, shock... it will never ever leave you.  Don't ever think for a minute that you will win b/c things are honest and you have a great case.  It doesn't work like that.  It doesn't at all.  It is all about who knows who and who is in bed with who and what hearing officer you get could throw your case even before you begin.

                  Be careful.  For however young your son/daughter is... you have a long way to go.  Save your energy.  Do only positive things with it.  Don't fight the system... it isn't worth it.  I thought I could change things.  I had so much energy.  My son is 16 and I lie in bed with constant pain.  When the therapist leaves after her shift is over, it is me and my sons life depends on me.... Try to say to yourself that in the future you want to be thought of as doing positive for your child.  Only positive... if there is a negative corner that you are being thrust into from the district, find a way out that is positive.  Take your child out of school if you have to.  If you are fighting for more speech... learn to do it yourself and provide that extra hour...

                  If however, there is true harm being done to your child (physically and mentally) - that is a different picture... use the expedited due process hearing technique... I've heard of the "rooms", the "basket holds" and things of that nature and yes, they have been done with people I love and care about.  HO's need to hear this sort of thing...

                  But if it is services or methodology or home program .... find a way out that is positive.  It will be more work for you, but in the long run, it is a better choice.  If I can help anyone with doing the right thing here (feel like Dr. Laura).... that is one thing that I have lived, and now live the life with the results.  The district has an unending supply of $$ to fight you... don't think for one minute that they won't break you, they will... they will.

                  This is my 2 cents on your question.  I hope it helps and I truly hope I didn't offend you.  LikeI said, I won't post much anymore... too tired and I have been through hell and back again.  For me to respond, I needed to try to help someone not make the same mistakes that I did.
                  Good luck with anything you choose,
                  Sue  xoxox

                • wmfreed
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                    We have used both Ira Fingles and an advocate from Carol Oberman in the past. Fingles flat out lied to us and told he did things he obviously did not. Oberman's advocate was OK. In the end, the legal route was a big waste of time and money for us.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Thank you Sue for your brutal honesty and courage..  I personally did better going to due process on my own than I did with an advocate.  Most families in this economy cannot afford the legal route. They are just so weary dealing with their children and trying to financially keep their heads above water.   Many of these poor inner city families would not know where to even to begin fighting the system. Their children w/autism most likely are the ones that end up as adults on all the heavy medications, thrown into group homes that are most likely inappropriate.
                      Just my 2 cents
                      DG(mom of 2 adults w/ASD)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2009
                        We had a similar experience with Ira Fingles over here in NJ. That firm will not do things they said they were doing, and then over bill you for it. They do not return phone calls, and will hold you hostage by threatening not to show up in court unless you deposit more money into their account, even when you have a credit balance with them prior to due process hearing. Then if you disagree with the amount of services they provided they will sue you for the balance. In our experience this firm is all about dragging out the case in order to maximize billable hours from their clients.

                        We went thru due process 3 times, the 1st two times with a lawyer, the last time by ourselves. It was not until the last time that we accomplished what we wanted, as the district then realized they couldn't bankrupt us during the whole process. We filed for mediation and rolled it into a due process hearing. When we attended our resolution session prior to the due process hearing, the district gave us everything we asked for, and we asked for things that we thought they'd never agree to. So file for mediation and roll into due process yourself if you are willing, and keep your demands sky high. You will be surprised how much the district will give, without a lawyer you'll have a much better chance in imho in this giant game of chicken.

                      • dannylions@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 4, 2009

                          Ria, Good for u!  Are you by any chance in Central Bucks SD? (If so, I truly am a pathetic marshmallow)

                          Sue