Frank Miller OFF Buck Rogers?

  • batkid03@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2009
      It appears that may be the case according to this link:
      http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20702
      -I really hope so. I don't think he'd bring anything to the project really, other than unneeded violence and "grittiness". What does everyone think?

    • Jack
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7, 2009
        I agree that Miller wouldn't bring anything positive to the project beyond his "name". Sad to say, sometimes a "name" gets a project made, even if the fans of the character are displeased.
        Miller has done some good stuff, but I never understood his interest in Buck and Co. The material just doesn't suit his style. But that raises another question - Do we want a new Buck, no matter who the creative people and cast are?

        Jack

        --- In buck-rogers@yahoogroups.com, batkid03@... wrote:

        > It appears that may be the case according to this link:
        > http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20702
        > -I really hope so. I don't think he'd bring anything to the project really, other than unneeded violence and "grittiness". What does everyone think?

      • Humble Frank
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 7, 2009
          Yes, yes, YES!!!!! We do need a new Buck Rogers project. Buck has been around in one form or another since the late 20's but sadly most people only know him from the fun but dated and campy late 70's TV series. Buck does deserve his shot at a 21 century update hopefully with more success than the Sci-Fi channel's recent Flash Gordon update. While Frank Millar would have been one of the last directors I would have picked to direct a Buck Rogers film I'm sad to see this new project now back in development hell.

          > I agree that Miller wouldn't bring anything positive to
          > the project beyond his "name". Sad to say,
          > sometimes a "name" gets a project made, even if
          > the fans of the character are displeased.
          > Miller has done some good stuff, but I never understood
          > his interest in Buck and Co. The material just doesn't
          > suit his style. But that raises another question - Do we
          > want a new Buck, no matter who the creative people and cast
          > are?
          >
          > Jack
          >
          > --- In buck-rogers@yahoogroups.com, batkid03@... wrote:
          > >
          > > It appears that may be the case according to this
          > link:
          > >
          > http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20702
          > > -I really hope so. I don't think he'd bring
          > anything to the project really, other than unneeded violence
          > and "grittiness". What does everyone think?

          > Shortcut URL to this page:
          > Links

        • Jack
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2009
            You make a good point. As much as we love the 70s show, Buck is a "bigger" character. Is there a creative person/team you'd like to see bring his adventures to the screen - big &/or small?

            Jack

            --- In buck-rogers@yahoogroups.com, Humble Frank <humble155@...> wrote:

            > Yes, yes, YES!!!!! We do need a new Buck Rogers project. Buck has been around in one form or another since the late 20's but sadly most people only know him from the fun but dated and campy late 70's TV series. Buck does deserve his shot at a 21 century update hopefully with more success than the Sci-Fi channel's recent Flash Gordon update. While Frank Millar would have been one of the last directors I would have picked to direct a Buck Rogers film I'm sad to see this new project now back in development hell.

          • Humble Frank
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 7, 2009
              Well I hate to sound so negative but I can think only of directors that I wouldn't want to be involved in the project not who I would want to do it. For example I would not want Tim Burton to direct it. Burton would be too busy putting his own spin on Buck that we might not recognize him. And can you image Michael Keaton or Johnny Depp playing Buck.