Message from the Webmaster at Buck-Rogers.com

  • buckrogers2491
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
      Hello Buck-Rogers Fans!!!

      I can't believe it's been three months already since I've updated my
      Web site, time has certainly flown by. I'm sorry to report that I
      have no Web site updates at this time, but in light of certain
      things that are taking place in the Yahoo! Group I feel the need to
      address the fans of Buck Rogers and the visitors of my Web site as a
      whole.

      When I started this site my only goal was to put information I had
      on Buck Rogers out there for everyone in the world to enjoy. No one
      else on the Internet at the time had attempted to do what I have
      done with Buck-Rogers.com. Over time others have contributed certain
      things to the site and I've tried to slowly, but surely add things
      based on the requests of those who visit the site.

      Due to the fact that nothing significant has really happened in the
      world of Buck Rogers for over 20 years now the majority of those who
      visit the site are truly fans of the character and the genre he
      represents. Because of this fact, there is more of a nostalgia
      towards the character than a pop-culture hype.

      Over the years, since I started this site, the thing that people
      have asked me for more than anything else is if can I make them
      copies of the 1979-81 TV series. Considering that part of the series
      has been available in both the United States and abroad I figured
      only the die hard fans would be interested in the entire series. I
      have been reluctant in the past to even get involved with making
      video tapes, because I can easily see it consuming my life. I
      started the message board section which eventually evolved into the
      Yahoo! Group so fans could have a forum to help each other out in
      this area.

      But when I see someone charging $40 per volume for Buck Rogers on
      DVD and using the forum I created for their own personal profit it
      pretty much upsets me. For those of you who want to buy from this
      person I'm not going to try to stop you. But here's what I am going
      to do.

      I too have the PAL versions of season one and I'm going to look into
      the cost of transferring them to DVD. I will only charge what it
      costs me to have them made and I can guarantee it won't be anywhere
      near $40 per volume.

      Since I only have SciFi Channel versions of season two I'm going to
      make them immediately available on NTSC VHS.

      For $25 you will get two tapes with all of season two, except the
      episode "The Guardians" which is currently already available on
      video.

      I will only accept payment through Paypal and shipping will be done
      via US Priority Mail. Paypal information will soon be available on
      my site.

      If you have any questions e-mail me at webmaster@....

      Thanks for visiting and talk to you soon,

      James
      Webmaster
      Buck-Rogers.com
    • Aaron Radek
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
        Hi James.

        It's nice to see someone who's not just out to make a profit. Thanks
        for the information.

        -Aaron
      • chasrn@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
          Hi...

          I want to thank you too, James. It's great to see people who want to share
          what they have with others who enjoy it too, without necessarily making a
          profit. I recently have had an experience with someone who was asking $15.00
          PER EPISODE for another series I wanted. It's nice to see people who aren't
          greedy for a change.

          By the way, is anyone going to Frightvision in Cleveland next year? From
          their website, it looks like Gil Gerard and Erin Gray are both going to be
          there. I can't wait!

          Charles
        • drwhofan2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
            That sounds like a great idea!

            But will you be able to provide DVD's for NTSC region 1?
            It would be a shame to limit it just to PAL or Europe.

            Thanks for the effort!

            SL