Upcoming Events

  • crazyhistorian
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2006
      Upcoming Events
      Science Fiction events are ideal venues for Jewish women who are
      tired of vastly
      outnumbering men at singles events to meet Jewish men, many of whom
      are single, because most science fiction events are much more
      heavily attended by men than by women, and many science fiction
      fans, especially in a heavily Jewish state like New Jersey, are also
      Jewish.
      Tuesday October 3rd 2006 c.e. Science Fiction Event:
      Event Number One:
      Tuesday October 3rd at 6:30 P.M. THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION
      OF BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY will have a get together at Grand
      Buffet Chinese Restaurant
      875 Route 17 South, Ramsey, New Jersey 07446
      (201) 934-5033 after dinner the group will move on to its 8 p.m.
      discussion on leadership in Science Fiction (think of, among others:
      Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter, Daniel
      Jackson, General Hammond, and other SG1 characters, Captain Picard,
      Counselor Troy, Flash Gordon, Buck Rodgers, Dr. Who, Blake's Seven,
      Battlestar Galactica, (original and extra crispy), Stargate
      Atlantis, to name a few)
      at Borders bookstore at the Ramsey Interstate Shopping Plaza
      Street: 235 Interstate Shopping Center
      City/State/Zip: Ramsey, NJ 07446
      Phone: 201.760.1967

      THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY,, NEW JERSEY PHONE:
      (201) 447 – 3652
      http://www.sfabc.org is sponsoring this event. There is no charge
      to participate in the dinner or the discussion. You of course pay
      for your own food at the Grand Buffet Chinese Restaurant

      Please note: this group also meets for dinner at the Grand Buffet
      Chinese Restaurant. Join the group at the Grand Buffet in Ramsey,
      New Jersey on Route 17 South
      (directions are available) at 6:30PM.
      Grand Buffet - More Info / Map

      875 State Route 17 South, Ramsey, NJ 07446
      http://ramseynj.areaconnect.com/restaurants/
      Scroll down to Grand Buffet - More Info / Map
      Grand Buffet Chinese Restaurant
      875 Route 17 South, Ramsey, New Jersey 07446
      (201) 934-5033
      "Grand Buffet represents a new phenomenon in Bergen County. These
      large all-you-can-eat Chinese restaurants offer phenomenal value…
      It's also a fun place to take kids or to just have a decent cheap
      meal out. Most standard Chinese fare is presented in large steam
      trays… There are also some nice salads and decent desserts!"
      http://www.chowbaby.com/restfinder.asp?aa=bb&cc=dd&city=RAMSEY
      scroll down to
      Grand Buffet

      (201) 934-5033
      875 Route 17 South
      Ramsey, NJ 07446
      Info Map It

      For more information click
      http://www.bordersstores.com/stores/store_pg.jsp?storeID=479.

      Time: 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm

      Location: Borders at Ramsey Interstate Shopping Plaza
      Street: 235 Interstate Shopping Center
      City/State/Zip: Ramsey, NJ 07446
      Phone: 201.760.1967

      Directions to the 8 p.m. Tuesday October 3rd meeting site:
      Borders Books & Music
      235 Route 17 South. Interstate Shopping Center
      Route 17 South and Franklin Turnpike
      Ramsey, New Jersey
      (201) 760 - 1967

      Borders Books shares a building with Bed, Bath and
      Beyond at the east end of the Interstate Shopping Center.
      Although it is possible to enter the mall from the Franklin
      Turnpike, we recommend the Route 17 approach. Borders abuts
      Route 17 South.
      FROM ROUTE 17 SOUTHBOUND:
      ..........The entrance to the Interstate Shopping Center is from
      Route 17 South, shortly past the Spring Street Exit and just
      before the Franklin Turnpike overpass. It is about three miles
      south of the junction of Routes 17 and 287, just past the Best
      Western and the Howard Johnson.
      FROM ROUTE 17 NORTHBOUND:
      ..........Travel north on Route 17 and make a U-Turn at the
      Spring Street Exit in Ramsey, New Jersey. This is about ½ mile
      past the Franklin Turnpike Exit and about 3-1/2 miles past the
      Allendale Road Exit most of you take to our normal meeting site
      in Upper Saddle River. Follow directions from Route 17
      Southbound.
      FROM THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY NORTHBOUND:
      ..........Take Exit 163 which is about 2-3/4 miles after the toll
      plaza. This is a left lane exit and puts you onto Route 17
      North. Follow directions for northbound 17 above. You will be
      on Route 17 for a little more than 10-1/4 miles before you hit
      the Spring Street exit.
      FROM ROUTE 287 IN NEW YORK:
      ..........Follow the signs for Route 17 South, Mahwah, New
      Jersey. This is a left lane exit, so be sure to get into one of
      the two leftmost lanes. Follow the directions from Route 17
      Southbound.
      FROM ROUTE 287 IN NEW JERSEY:
      ..........This is an awkward interchange. Follow the signs for
      Route 17 South and Mahwah, New Jersey. The exit will put you
      onto a long ramp that makes a "U" and deposits you on 287 heading
      the opposite way. Get into the left hand lanes and follow the
      signs for Route 17 South. Follow the directions listed above for
      Route 17 Southbound.

      For additional information, updates, contact Phil DeParto:

      By Voice: (201) 447-3652
      By snail-mail:
      SFABC c/o Phil DeParto
      136 Manhattan Avenue
      Waldwick, NJ 07463
      USA
      http://www.sfabc.org
      The event mentioned above is a SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATON OF
      BERGEN COUNTY, NEW JERSEY http://www.sfabc.org
      event
      we hope that everyone who can make it to that event will do so.
      Our group is NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_ FICTION_FANS

      Please introduce yourself when you join
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_ FICTION_FANS and periodically as new members
      keep joining. We plan to get together at restaurants and to go to
      movies. All of the restaurants we want to go to will be non-smoking
      restaurants in New Jersey. All of the movies we want to see will be
      Science Fiction movies. We will see them in movie theaters and if
      people are kind enough, on people's home VCRs, or DVD players, for
      the technologically advanced among us. We will NEVER charge money
      for any of our events. Everything will be strictly Dutch Treat.
      Buy your own movie tickets. Buy your own meals at Restaurants.
      Hopefully a typical event would involve going to a Science Fiction
      Movie and then to a Restaurant to discuss the movie we just saw. We
      also hope to go individually or as a group to any other worthwhile
      events people may know of in New Jersey. If we go to someone's
      home, bring your own potluck yummies to munch on. No money changes
      hands. Please do. Post your ideas for club events. Please do
      come to events. Escape From Your Computer! All of our events will
      be both Smoke-Free and Feline-Free for the cat allergy victims
      amongst us. So if you let us use your home for an event make sure
      it is both Smoke-Free and Feline Free. No drugs or booze will be
      allowed at any of our club events. Please forward the URL and sign
      up info below to everyone who should get it.

      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_ FICTION_FANS- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

      This club is for everyone 21 or older. Younger fans should find
      another club.
      Please forward the URL and sign up info below to everyone who should
      get it. Thanks

      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_ FICTION_FANS- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com

      Tuesday October 3rd 2006 c.e. Science Fiction Event:

      EVENT NUMBER TWO: A movie event sponsored by the
      Science Fiction Society of Northern NJ
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFSNNJ/
      Date: Tuesday October 3, 2006
      Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

      Location: Hillsdale Public Library
      Street: 509 Hillsdale Avenue
      City/State/Zip: Hillsdale, New Jersey 07642
      Phone: 201.358.5072
      http://www.librarytechnology.org/lwc-displaylibrary.pl?RC=11799
      From the Garden State Parkway (Northbound):
      Take exit 168 (Westwood/Hohokus Rt. 502)
      At the top of the ramp, turn right onto Route 502
      At the first light, make a left turn onto Pascack Road
      At the first light, make a right turn onto Hillsdale Avenue
      Proceed for approximately half a mile
      The library will be on the right
      Enter the parking lot from Yesler Way

      From the Garden State Parkway (Southbound) :
      Take exit 166 (Paramus)
      At the end of the ramp, make a right turn onto Highland Avenue
      Make a right turn onto Linwood Avenue
      Make left turn onto Pascack Road
      Proceed through Washington Township
      After crossing Route 502, make a right turn onto Hillsdale Avenue at
      the next light
      Proceed for approximately half a mile
      The library will be on the right
      Enter the parking from of Yesler Way

      From the south on Kinderkamack Road :
      Follow Kinderkamack Road through Westwood
      Make a left hand turn onto Hillsdale Avenue (there is a light after
      Washington St)
      Go through the center of town
      The library will be on the left, across from St. John's Academy
      Enter the parking lot from Yesler Way

      http://www.bccls.org/members/hldl.shtml

      The Hunger (1983): Nothing Human Loves Forever.
      Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie, Susan Sarandon
      The movie is sponsored by the Science Fiction Society of Northern NJ
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFSNNJ/

      The world of science fiction online and in real life appears to be
      expanding in New Jersey. Time To Introduce Yourself
      Please take a moment now, and from time to time, as we keep getting
      new members, to introduce yourself, perhaps tell people what town you
      live in, who your favorite science fiction authors are, or anything
      else you would like to say.

      Please be sure to join our group
      NEW_JERSEY_SCIENCE_ FICTION_FANS- subscribe@ yahoogroups. com
      We will be discussing Wandering Stars: An Anthology of Jewish
      Fantasy and Science Fiction
      by Jack Dann
      Wandering Stars ed. Jack M. Dann (Harper & Row, 1974, hc)
      http://contento.best.vwh.net/t31.htm
      • Why Me? • Isaac Asimov • in
      • On Venus, Have We Got a Rabbi • William Tenn • nv *
      • The Golem • Avram Davidson • ss F&SF Mar '55
      • Unto the Fourth Generation • Isaac Asimov • ss F&SF Apr '59
      • Look, You Think You've Got Troubles • Carol Carr • ss Orbit
      5, ed. Damon Knight, G.P. Putnam's, 1969
      • Goslin Day • Avram Davidson • ss Orbit 6, ed. Damon Knight,
      G.P. Putnam's, 1970
      • The Dybbuk of Mazel Tov IV • Robert Silverberg • ss *
      • Trouble with Water • Horace L. Gold • ss Unknown Mar '39
      • Gather Blue Roses • Pamela Sargent • ss F&SF Feb '72
      • The Jewbird • Bernard Malamud • ss The Reporter Apr 11 '63
      • Paradise Last • George Alec Effinger • nv *
      • Street of Dreams, Feet of Clay • Robert Sheckley • nv Galaxy
      Feb '68
      • Jachid and Jechidah • Isaac Bashevis Singer • ss, 1961
      • I'm Looking for Kadak • Harlan Ellison • nv *
      • Ellison's Grammatical Guide and Glossary for Goyim • Harlan
      Ellison • ms
      • Evise, the Zsouchmoid • Tim Kirk • il And :
      More Wandering Stars ed. Jack M. Dann (Doubleday, 1981, hc); An
      Anthology of Jewish Fantasy and Science Fiction
      http://contento.best.vwh.net/t118.htm
      • Introduction: The Hebrew Source • Isaac Asimov • in
      • Tauf Aleph • Phyllis Gotlieb • nv *
      • Leviticus: In the Ark • Barry N. Malzberg • ss Epoch, ed.
      Roger Elwood & Robert Silverberg, Berkley, 1975
      • Warm, Dark Places • Horace L. Gold • ss Unknown Oct '40
      • A Lamed Wufnik • Mel Gilden • ss F&SF Dec '75
      • Isaiah • Barry N. Malzberg • ss Fantastic Sep '73
      • Dress Rehearsal • Harvey Jacobs • ss F&SF Jul '74
      • Forcing the End • Hugh Nissenson • ss In the Reign of Peace,
      1969
      • The Last Demon • Isaac Bashevis Singer; trans. by Martha
      Glicklich & Cecil Hemley • ss Short Friday, 1964
      • The Mazel Tov Revolution • Joe W. Haldeman • ss Analog
      Sep '74
      • The Scrolls • Woody Allen • ss The New Republic
      • The Pagan Rabbi • Cynthia Ozick • nv The Hudson Review, 1966
      • The Celestial Orchestra • Howard Schwartz • ss, 1980
      • Camps • Jack M. Dann • nv F&SF May '79
      • Mom • Harlan Ellison • nv Silver Foxes Aug '76
      • Disciples • Gardner R. Dozois • ss Penthouse Dec '81

      at some upcoming

      events
      Stay tuned for details of when and where these discussions will be
      held.
      Please also join
      BOTH of the two lively science fiction groups
      listed immediately below, BOTH of which regularly have real life
      science fiction events.

      Science Fiction Society of Northern NJ
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFSNNJ/

      THE SCIENCE FICTION ASSOCIATION OF BERGEN COUNTY
      136 MANHATTAN AVENUE WALDWICK, NEW JERSEY 07463
      PHONE: (201) 447 – 3652
      http://www.sfabc.org
      A free fantastic Jewish singles resource
      can be found at the url below

      http://www.thejewishpeople.org/
      You may post your own introductions there, with our without photos
      of yourself and may also search for other Jewish singles there
      by state, gender, age range, etc.

      Everything there is free.

      We have no connections whatsoever to the site,
      but if you do post your photo there you may wish to
      include the url where your photo may be found at that
      site, in your introductions, and responses to other introductions,
      that you post at our Yahoo Jewish singles groups.
      To keep yourself posted on Jewish Singles Events and more
      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups

      You do not have to be single to join :
      Post message: OperationCSPAN@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: OperationCSPAN-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      Help to counter anti-Israel, anti-Semitic callers to
      CSPAN programs such as Washington Journal, by making your own pro-
      Israel, pro-Jewish, pro-Zionist, calls to those same CSPAN programs.

      We highly recommend http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/
      "the Jewish community's leading response to the multi-million dollar
      efforts of cults and evangelical" (Xtians) "who target Jews for
      conversion."
      (Meshugeneh means crazy in Yiddish (so-called Messy an eck Jews,
      they spell
      it somewhat differently, are not really Jews, they are Xtians
      pretending
      to be Jews to convert Jews to their Xtian religion.)
      Photo is from a satellite in space showing Israel and the part of
      the world Israel is in.
      Please also do your part to help Israel by joining pro-Israel groups
      both on line and in real life.
      Some pro-Israel on line groups are listed below:

      Post message: IsraelAndAmericaTogetherForVictory@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelAndAmericaTogetherForVictory-
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: IsraelMustLive@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelMustLive-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: IsraelNowAndForever@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelNowAndForever-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: IsraelTheBestFriendAmericaHas@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: IsraelTheBestFriendAmericaHas-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: OperationCSPAN@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: OperationCSPAN-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      c-span, also known as C-SPAN provides much valuable information.
      However, we are
      distressed that programs like
      Washington Journal on c-span seem to provide a forum for
      anti-Semites and enemies of Israel and the Jewish people in
      general who seem to not only call into that t.v. show, but get
      through, and get
      on the air, where they are seldom interupted or cut off by the show's
      moderators. We feel that a 2 minute delay could enable the show's
      moderators to
      screen out the anti-Semites and enemies of Israel and the Jewish
      people, however
      no such 2 minute delay seems to be in place. Moreover the moderators
      of that
      show and others do not seem to be of a mind to cut off the anti-
      Semites and
      other enemies of Israel and the Jewish people in general who
      regularly call into
      that show and others
      on c-span. We have therefore created this Yahoo Group in the hopes
      that members
      of the group will become regular viewers of c-span and will call in
      regularly to
      Washington Journal and other c-span call in t.v. shows, to support
      Israel and
      the Jewish people and to counter the anti-Semites and other enemies
      of Israel
      and the Jewish people whose calls are regularly aired on c-span. We
      also hope
      that members of our Yahoo Group will contact their U.S.
      Senators and members of Congress and President Bush at
      http://www.whitehouse.gov to see what can be done about
      the situation at c-span.

      Post message: PeopleForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: PeopleForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: PeopleWhoSupportIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: PeopleWhoSupportIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: WeAreForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: WeAreForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: WeStandUpForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: WeStandUpForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Post message: AmericansForIsrael@yahoogroups.com
      Subscribe: AmericansForIsrael-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      If you know of other pro-Israel on line groups and/or pro-Israel
      groups that meet in real life please post the information about them.

      Time to Post Your Introductions
      Even if you have previously posted an introduction please post
      another one from time to time as new members keep on joining.
      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups, and in your introductions,
      and when your reply to other posts at our Jewish Singles Yahoo
      Groups.
      Some helpful hints on introductions:
      Because our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups strip out attachments please
      do not include attachments in your introductions. If a photo of you
      is available on the net please do include the url for that photo, if
      you are not shy about it. Another option would be to offer to email
      your photo in your introduction.
      Some Hints for email personal introductions are below. Please feel
      free to post your reactions to them and your own ideas.
      "likes fine dining", or words to that effect, are a total turnoff.
      They imply that you want to be taken out to eat, and that you are
      not serious about being a partner in a relationship of equals.
      Do not forget to note in your introductions whether you are a smoker
      or not. Non-smokers need to meet non-smokers. Do not waste the time
      of a non-smoker if you are a smoker. If you smoke, say so. If you
      are a non-smoker say so.
      Are you allergic to cats? If so, say so. Do you have a cat or cats?
      If so say so in your introductions. People who are allergic to cats
      will have no luck getting people who have cats to part with those
      cats. So do not waste time trying to build a relationship with a
      person who is allergic to cats if you are a cat lover or vice versa.
      How observant are you? Please say something about that in your
      introductions.
      Do you keep Kosher? Please say something about that in your
      introductions.

      Please state that you are Jewish, Single, 21 or over, when you apply
      to join our Jewish Singles Yahoo Groups, and in your introductions,
      and in
      your replies to other introductions, etc.

      Yom Kippur
      Level: Basic

      ...In the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, you shall
      afflict your souls, and you shall not do any work ... For on that
      day he shall provide atonement for you to cleanse you from all your
      sins before the L-RD. -Leviticus 16:29-30
      Yom Kippur is probably the most important holiday of the Jewish
      year. Many Jews who do not observe any other Jewish custom will
      refrain from work, fast and/or attend synagogue services on this
      day. Yom Kippur occurs on the 10th day of Tishri. The holiday is
      instituted at Leviticus 23:26 et seq.
      The name "Yom Kippur" means "Day of Atonement," and that pretty much
      explains what the holiday is. It is a day set aside to "afflict the
      soul," to atone for the sins of the past year. In Days of Awe, I
      mentioned the "books" in which G-d inscribes all of our names. On
      Yom Kippur, the judgment entered in these books is sealed. This day
      is, essentially, your last appeal, your last chance to change the
      judgment, to demonstrate your repentance and make amends.
      As I noted in Days of Awe, Yom Kippur atones only for sins between
      man and G-d, not for sins against another person. To atone for sins
      against another person, you must first seek reconciliation with that
      person, righting the wrongs you committed against them if possible.
      That must all be done before Yom Kippur.
      Yom Kippur is a complete Sabbath; no work can be performed on that
      day. It is well-known that you are supposed to refrain from eating
      and drinking (even water) on Yom Kippur. It is a complete, 25-hour
      fast beginning before sunset on the evening before Yom Kippur and
      ending after nightfall on the day of Yom Kippur. The Talmud also
      specifies additional restrictions that are less well-known: washing
      and bathing, anointing one's body (with cosmetics, deodorants,
      etc.), wearing leather shoes (Orthodox Jews routinely wear canvas
      sneakers under their dress clothes on Yom Kippur), and engaging in
      sexual relations are all prohibited on Yom Kippur.
      As always, any of these restrictions can be lifted where a threat to
      life or health is involved. In fact, children under the age of nine
      and women in childbirth (from the time labor begins until three days
      after birth) are not permitted to fast, even if they want to. Older
      children and women from the third to the seventh day after
      childbirth are permitted to fast, but are permitted to break the
      fast if they feel the need to do so. People with other illnesses
      should consult a physician and a rabbi for advice.
      Most of the holiday is spent in the synagogue, in prayer. In
      Orthodox synagogues, services begin early in the morning (8 or 9 AM)
      and continue until about 3 PM. People then usually go home for an
      afternoon nap and return around 5 or 6 PM for the afternoon and
      evening services, which continue until nightfall. The services end
      at nightfall, with the blowing of the tekiah gedolah, a long blast
      on the shofar. See Rosh Hashanah for more about the shofar and its
      characteristic blasts.
      It is customary to wear white on the holiday, which symbolizes
      purity and calls to mind the promise that our sins shall be made as
      white as snow (Is. 1:18). Some people wear a kittel, the white robe
      in which the dead are buried.
      Yom Kippur Liturgy
      See also Jewish Liturgy generally.
      The liturgy for Yom Kippur is much more extensive than for any other
      day of the year. Liturgical changes are so far-reaching that a
      separate, special prayer book for Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah. This
      prayer book is called the machzor.
      The evening service that begins Yom Kippur is commonly known as Kol
      Nidre, named for the prayer that begins the service. "Kol nidre"
      means "all vows," and in this prayer, we ask G-d to annul all
      personal vows we may make in the next year. It refers only to vows
      between the person making them and G-d, such as "If I pass this
      test, I'll pray every day for the next 6 months!" Click the musical
      notes to hear a portion of the traditional tune for this prayer.
      This prayer has often been held up by anti-Semites as proof that
      Jews are untrustworthy (we do not keep our vows), and for this
      reason the Reform movement removed it from the liturgy for a while.
      In fact, the reverse is true: we make this prayer because we take
      vows so seriously that we consider ourselves bound even if we make
      the vows under duress or in times of stress when we are not thinking
      straight. This prayer gave comfort to those who were converted to
      Christianity by torture in various inquisitions, yet felt unable to
      break their vow to follow Christianity. In recognition of this
      history, the Reform movement restored this prayer to its liturgy.
      There are many additions to the regular liturgy (there would have to
      be, to get such a long service <grin>). Perhaps the most important
      addition is the confession of the sins of the community, which is
      inserted into the Shemoneh Esrei (Amidah) prayer. Note that all sins
      are confessed in the plural (we have done this, we have done that),
      emphasizing communal responsibility for sins.
      There are two basic parts of this confession: Ashamnu, a shorter,
      more general list (we have been treasonable, we have been
      aggressive, we have been slanderous...), and Al Chet, a longer and
      more specific list (for the sin we sinned before you forcibly or
      willingly, and for the sin we sinned before you by acting
      callously...) Frequent petitions for forgiveness are interspersed in
      these prayers. There's also a catch-all confession: "Forgive us the
      breach of positive commands and negative commands, whether or not
      they involve an act, whether or not they are known to us."
      It is interesting to note that these confessions do not specifically
      address the kinds of ritual sins that some people think are the be-
      all-and-end-all of Judaism. There is no "for the sin we have sinned
      before you by eating pork, and for the sin we have sinned against
      you by driving on Shabbat" (though obviously these are implicitly
      included in the catch-all). The vast majority of the sins enumerated
      involve mistreatment of other people, most of them by speech
      (offensive speech, scoffing, slander, talebearing, and swearing
      falsely, to name a few). These all come into the category of sin
      known as "lashon ha-ra" (lit: the evil tongue), which is considered
      a very serious sin in Judaism.
      The concluding service of Yom Kippur, known as Ne'ilah, is one
      unique to the day. It usually runs about 1 hour long. The ark (a
      cabinet where the scrolls of the Torah are kept) is kept open
      throughout this service, thus you must stand throughout the service.
      There is a tone of desperation in the prayers of this service. The
      service is sometimes referred to as the closing of the gates; think
      of it as the "last chance" to get in a good word before the holiday
      ends. The service ends with a very long blast of the shofar. See
      Rosh Hashanah for more about the shofar and its characteristic
      blasts.
      After Yom Kippur, one should begin preparing for the next holiday,
      Sukkot, which begins five days later.
      List of Dates
      Yom Kippur will occur on the following days of the Gregorian
      calendar:
      • Jewish Year 5767 : sunset October 1, 2006 - nightfall
      October 2, 2006
      • Jewish Year 5768 : sunset September 21, 2007 - nightfall
      September 22, 2007
      • Jewish Year 5769 : sunset October 8, 2008 - nightfall
      October 9, 2008
      • Jewish Year 5770 : sunset September 27, 2009 - nightfall
      September 28, 2009
      http://www.jewfaq.org/index.htm