Re: [buck-rogers] BSG

  • Humble Frank
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 28, 2005
      The show with James Fransiscus and the white dog was
      Longstreet.

      Humble Frank

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM

      > Shortcut URL to this page:
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Humble Frank Alan Johnson
      Still a member in good standing of the Intellectual Elite

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Humble Frank
      Message 35 of 35 , May 12, 2005
        The last original sitcom in my humble opinion was
        Seinfeld. But if you are not easily offended there is
        South Park but that show is not for everyone.

        I remember watching an episode of The Patty Duke show
        when I was a kid in the early sixties dealing with
        Patty helping an unpopular girl at her high school
        gain popularity and the girl then becoming Patty's
        arch rival. Ten years later I watched this same plot
        play out on the Brady Bunch with Marica, Marica,
        Marica teaching the unpopular girl how to become
        popular and having her become Marica, Marica, Marica's
        rival. I guess any good TV plot is worth using over
        and over again.

        Yes, the first couple of years of the Buck Rogers
        comic strip were cursed with that Mongol story line (a
        hold over from the original novel and part of that
        whole "Yellow Peril" fear thing that was so popular in
        fiction at that time) and that is why my favorite
        period of the strip is the 30th's when the strip
        became a space opera. Still in the 40's after Pearl
        Harbor the invading Martians of the comic strip were
        given an Asian personality. Then there was the
        crazed comic strip story line that told of how after
        the A Bomb was dropped on Japan the Japanese mutated
        into intelligent apes and moved away to a distant
        planet. Then I remember reading a review of the Glen
        Larson Buck Rogers movie in my college paper and the
        writer (who I had gone to see the movie with) came
        down on the Mogolian look given to the Draconians.
        But what was more suprising was that in the 1990's
        Martin Cadin wrote an update of Buck Rogers "Buck
        Rogers, My Life in the Future" that returned to the
        "Yellow Peril" story telling in full force. It seems
        that this whole "Yellow Peril" thing will always be
        something that Buck can not eascape.

        NOTE: In the Buster Crabbe 1939 serial Buck allies
        himself with Asians from the planet Saturn. I've read
        that after Pear Harbor the serial was pulled from
        release because the final chapter has Buck's Asian
        allies taking part in an attack on an American city -
        mind you a city ruled with an iron hand by the Leader
        Killer Kane. I quess this was just something not done
        in those war years.

        Humble Frank

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/LRMolB/TM

        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Humble Frank Alan Johnson
        Still a member in good standing of the Intellectual Elite

        Yahoo! Mail Mobile
        http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail