Re: [buck-rogers] T$R's "Buck Rogers"

  • Humble Frank
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 30, 2004
      Allen

      > Well, the "original comic vision" changed
      > drastically over the course of the strip as well.
      > The Rick Yager strips (especially the Sundays) were
      > vastly different from the Calkins & Nowlan strips
      > (and far better in my opinion).

      I would agree that the Rick Yager era was better drawn
      and written but Calkins & Nowlan years had a charm
      that I really enjoyed. Nowlan's writing never seem to
      go stale as Buck's adventures grew from the Mongol
      stuff to adventures in space.

      > Murphy Anderson
      > made changes to the style of the strip during his
      > tenure and then the Tuska era was a complete
      > revisioning of the strip (and probably the lowest
      > point during the neraly 40 years the original strip
      > ran).

      From reading a recently published bio of Anderson I've
      learned that the strip was dying at the time and he
      was brought in to save it. And after having drawn and
      written the strip for so long poor old Lt. Calkins was
      given the boot and Anderson even turned down his offer
      to show him how to draw Buck. This was harsh
      treatment for someone so important to the history of
      Buck. I've seen very little of the Tuska era but I
      was very surprised by how much I did like his art
      because I really hated his later Marvel stuff.

      >The revival series strip from 1979-1983 was a
      > hybrid of the original and the Gil Gerard TV series
      > (and never managed to capture the appeal of the
      > original strip). TSR's original Buck Rogers line
      > was an attempt to rework the story & characters yet
      > again. There were aspects of it I didn't care for,
      > but on the whole I thought it was a great attempt.

      The best thing about the revial strip was Morrow's art
      work. Morrow has a unsurpassed touch for SF. No one
      in my mind has been better at creating new worlds and
      cities of the future. Morrow had painted some
      fantastic cover for the American editions of the
      German Perry Rhodan SF series.

      =====
      Humble Frank Alan Johnson
      Still a member in good standing of the Intellectual Elite

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • alexlane@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2004
        > I would agree that the Rick Yager era was better drawn
        and written but Calkins & Nowlan years had a charm
        that I really enjoyed.

        They are almost two completely different strips since they differ in style so greatly. The Nowlan/Calkins strips were majorly heavy into science fiction. There was very little in the way of characterization, but there were new gadgets and sci-fi ideas being batted around like crazy. The Yager strips (at least the Sundays - his dailies were never as good) had great artwork and was very focused on the characters. There was much fewer science fiction elements, but I found the stories to be more "fun" in nature. They are both great though!

        > The best thing about the revial strip was Morrow's art
        work.

        There are times I am completely blown away by Morrow's work and other times that I don't care for it at all. When he put some serious effort into it. it looks great! He did some excellent work on the revival series. Other times (like a lot of his later Tarzan Sundays) looked very rushed and didn't feel nearly as dynamic as other work he's done. His brief stint on Flash Gordon in the 90's was a mix bag as well - some of it was good, some not so good.

        - Allen