Buck Rogers Flying Saucer

  • victor002
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2002
      Greetings, I have a question to ask. I have seen the Buck Rogers
      Flying Saucer (frisbee like item/toy) advertised as being introduced
      in 1937. This is when the patent was issued for the paper plates that
      were use to construct this item. I thought the term "flying saucer"
      wasn't coined until 1947 by a pilot. Can anyone answer this question?
      Thank you, Victor
    • D Falkinburg
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2002
        Very interesting. The original book and comic strip did not use the term
        flying saucer. The original villain was the Han, a race of earthlings, and
        the idea of space travel or people from other worlds was not introduced
        until much later. The only possibility is that the advertisement is new.
        Where did you see the item?
        > Greetings, I have a question to ask. I have seen the Buck Rogers
        > Flying Saucer (frisbee like item/toy) advertised as being introduced
        > in 1937. This is when the patent was issued for the paper plates that
        > were use to construct this item. I thought the term "flying saucer"
        > wasn't coined until 1947 by a pilot. Can anyone answer this question?
        > Thank you, Victor
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: buck-rogers@onelist.com
        > Subscribe: buck-rogers-subscribe@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.onelist.com/community/buck-rogers

      • victor002
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2002
          Thank you for your reply. I purchase two buck rogers flying saucers
          several years ago. They were advertised as being circa 1937, or made
          in 1937. They were listed by toy dealers in Toy Shop magazine. I am
          only trying to find out the correct year of introduction. Could it be
          after 1947? I really don't know. Thanks again, Victor

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/