Re: Dr. Who Creature: A Cyberman

  • Wulf Corbett
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com, "Sam" <Goji3@a...> wrote:

      > Name: Cyberman
      > Motivation: Cyberize Humans
      > Critter Type: Robot
      > Abilities: STR: 11 DEX: 1 CON: 5 INT: 3 PER: 3 WILL: 2

      Apart from the other comments made (especially the allergy to gold),
      I think you're being deeply unfair to them with DEX 1. OK, they
      didn't do much in the way of acrobatics, but they had fast reactions
      and I can't remember any falling over!

      Also, the very very first Cybermen used flamethrowers (on the steps
      of St. Paul's Cathedral, no less), but this was immediately deemed
      both too dangerous and too frightening for the kiddies.

      Lastly, regarding the Dalek's main weapon. It's hard to define it's
      effects as it's changed every time the BBC SFX department gets a new
      toy to play with! It's a sort of combination blaster/disintegrator -
      I'd run it like Staking - if it kills/destroys, it also
      disintegrates, if not it just leaves a nasty hole. Maybe has extra
      effect on living tissue.

      Wulf
    • jovin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hmmm, seems to me like a STR 11 might be a little too
        generous, yes? What's the most overt use of Cybermen
        strength depicted in the show, anyone have a
        recollection?

        --- Wulf Corbett <wulfc@...> wrote:
        > --- In btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com, "Sam"
        > <Goji3@a...> wrote:
        >
        > > Name: Cyberman
        > > Motivation: Cyberize Humans
        > > Critter Type: Robot
        > > Abilities: STR: 11 DEX: 1 CON: 5 INT: 3 PER: 3
        > WILL: 2
        >
        > Apart from the other comments made (especially the
        > allergy to gold),
        > I think you're being deeply unfair to them with DEX
        > 1. OK, they
        > didn't do much in the way of acrobatics, but they
        > had fast reactions
        > and I can't remember any falling over!
        >
        > Also, the very very first Cybermen used
        > flamethrowers (on the steps
        > of St. Paul's Cathedral, no less), but this was
        > immediately deemed
        > both too dangerous and too frightening for the
        > kiddies.
        >
        > Lastly, regarding the Dalek's main weapon. It's hard
        > to define it's
        > effects as it's changed every time the BBC SFX
        > department gets a new
        > toy to play with! It's a sort of combination
        > blaster/disintegrator -
        > I'd run it like Staking - if it kills/destroys, it
        > also
        > disintegrates, if not it just leaves a nasty hole.
        > Maybe has extra
        > effect on living tissue.
        >
        > Wulf

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Web Warlock
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
          Lots of snapping of arms and lifting heavy objects off of themselves.

          According to my "Doctor Who Technical Manual", the average Cyberman stands 2 meters tall and has the strength of ten men.  Now since that is also the same strength attributed to the average vampire then I would say that vamps and cybermen are about the same.

          Now the Time Lord game, http://www.geocities.com/sege1701/index.htm, list Cybermen as having a Str of 8 in their system, which translates to about the same thing. Normal is 1 to 6 for humans.  But TL is a d6 system instead of a d10 one.

          I don't have my copy of the Doctor Who RPG from FASA handy right now.

          With Doctor Who coming back to the BBC in 2005 maybe this is the Sci-Fi license that Eden should pursue.

          Tim

          --
          Timothy S. Brannan
          timothy.brannan@...

          --- Wulf Corbett <wulfc@...> wrote:
          > --- In btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com, "Sam"
          > <Goji3@a...> wrote:
          >
          > > Name: Cyberman
          > > Motivation: Cyberize Humans
          > > Critter Type: Robot
          > > Abilities: STR: 11 DEX: 1 CON: 5 INT: 3 PER: 3
          > WILL: 2
          >
          > Apart from the other comments made (especially the
          > allergy to gold),
          > I think you're being deeply unfair to them with DEX
          > 1. OK, they
          > didn't do much in the way of acrobatics, but they
          > had fast reactions
          > and I can't remember any falling over!
          >
          > Also, the very very first Cybermen used
          > flamethrowers (on the steps
          > of St. Paul's Cathedral, no less), but this was
          > immediately deemed
          > both too dangerous and too frightening for the
          > kiddies.
          >
          > Lastly, regarding the Dalek's main weapon. It's hard
          > to define it's
          > effects as it's changed every time the BBC SFX
          > department gets a new
          > toy to play with! It's a sort of combination
          > blaster/disintegrator -
          > I'd run it like Staking - if it kills/destroys, it
          > also
          > disintegrates, if not it just leaves a nasty hole.
          > Maybe has extra
          > effect on living tissue.
          >
          > Wulf

        • Sam
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
            --- In btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com, "Web Warlock"
            <web.warlock@c...> wrote:
            > Lots of snapping of arms and lifting heavy objects off of
            themselves.

            > According to my "Doctor Who Technical Manual", the average
            Cyberman stands 2
            > meters tall and has the strength of ten men. Now since that is
            also the
            > same strength attributed to the average vampire then I would say
            that vamps
            > and cybermen are about the same.

            I took the dialoge literally (normally I don't do this), 11 strength
            is 10 times the level 2 weight lifitin abilities...But visuals
            always outweigh visuals on TV series though...

            > Now the Time Lord game,
            http://www.geocities.com/sege1701/index.htm, list
            > Cybermen as having a Str of 8 in their system, which translates to
            about the
            > same thing. Normal is 1 to 6 for humans. But TL is a d6 system
            instead of a
            > d10 one.
            >
            > I don't have my copy of the Doctor Who RPG from FASA handy right
            now.

            > With Doctor Who coming back to the BBC in 2005 maybe this is the
            Sci-Fi
            > license that Eden should pursue.

            I certainly hope so! :)

            > Tim
            > --
            > Timothy S. Brannan
            > timothy.brannan@c...
            > --
            > Liber Mysterium, The Netbook of Witches and Warlocks. Available
            now at:
            > http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/libermysterium.php

            Service.