Vamp invites

  • Blackwood/Saulth
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      Forgive me if this was covered; I've not been keeping up with some
      threads...

      I had a disagreement with a player on vampire invitations. IMHO,
      anyone inside the dwelling can invite a vamp inside, they need not
      be a resident. For example, I have PCs who are staying at a flat in
      London (the PCs are from America) and one of them needed to
      invite a vamp in. One of the other players said they didn't think
      that would work because the other PC wasn't a resident; I said
      anyone could incite them in (plus the fact that they are living there
      for the timebeing). My examples, sketchy though they are, are
      Kate inviting Angel into her dad's apartment (that is, Angel kept
      telling her to invite him in) and wasn't there something about Faith
      in the motel?

      Anyone got a better memory than I?

      Thanks,
      Kim
      The new game from Blackwood Brothers: "Got Angst?"
      Available where ever things go tragicly wrong.
    • Stanoje Zupunski
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
          From what I've seen of the shows (Buffy and Angel)
          it's pretty much a director's call. The writers make
          up and change whatever they need to for the sake of
          the story. Changing the way things work from time to
          time, keeps the Cast on it's toes.

          In my group, we've done some wonky things and my
          players role with it (yes, role, not roll or rule). If
          we discover later that it was suppose to be different,
          we rationalize it as a "metaphysical mystery" and
          possibly explore it in a future ep or quietly brush it
          under the rug.

          --- Blackwood/Saulth <saulth@...> wrote:
          > Forgive me if this was covered; I've not been
          > keeping up with some
          > threads...
          >
          > I had a disagreement with a player on vampire
          > invitations. IMHO,
          > anyone inside the dwelling can invite a vamp inside,
          > they need not
          > be a resident. For example, I have PCs who are
          > staying at a flat in
          > London (the PCs are from America) and one of them
          > needed to
          > invite a vamp in. One of the other players said
          > they didn't think
          > that would work because the other PC wasn't a
          > resident; I said
          > anyone could incite them in (plus the fact that they
          > are living there
          > for the timebeing). My examples, sketchy though
          > they are, are
          > Kate inviting Angel into her dad's apartment (that
          > is, Angel kept
          > telling her to invite him in) and wasn't there
          > something about Faith
          > in the motel?
          >
          > Anyone got a better memory than I?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Kim
          > The new game from Blackwood Brothers: "Got Angst?"
          > Available where ever things go tragicly wrong.

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • jehosephat2001
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
            According to the rules in Monster Smackdown, they have to be a
            resident, so if the other PC wasn't a resident, he or she couldn't
            invite a vampire in.
            Of course, the definition of "resident" can be fairly flexible.

            Oliver

            --- In btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com, "Blackwood/Saulth" <saulth@f...>
            wrote:
            > Forgive me if this was covered; I've not been keeping up with some
            > threads...
            >
            > I had a disagreement with a player on vampire invitations. IMHO,
            > anyone inside the dwelling can invite a vamp inside, they need not
            > be a resident. For example, I have PCs who are staying at a flat
            in
            > London (the PCs are from America) and one of them needed to
            > invite a vamp in. One of the other players said they didn't think
            > that would work because the other PC wasn't a resident; I said
            > anyone could incite them in (plus the fact that they are living
            there
            > for the timebeing). My examples, sketchy though they are, are
            > Kate inviting Angel into her dad's apartment (that is, Angel kept
            > telling her to invite him in) and wasn't there something about
            Faith
            > in the motel?
            >
            > Anyone got a better memory than I?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Kim
            > The new game from Blackwood Brothers: "Got Angst?"
            > Available where ever things go tragicly wrong.
          • John Humphlett
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
              > According to the rules in Monster Smackdown, they
              > have to be a
              > resident, so if the other PC wasn't a resident, he
              > or she couldn't
              > invite a vampire in.
              > Of course, the definition of "resident" can be
              > fairly flexible.

              What constitutes the dwelling?
              If I have an attached, enclosed garage would the
              barrier be there? Or would the person have to get to
              the house proper though the connecting door?

              =====
              John Humphlett
              -"He conquers who endures" - family motto
              - Join the Humans as we destroy the Orcs of Middle-Earth. Click this link once per day: http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=328639

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • john@catscradle.us
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                John Humphlett writes:

                > What constitutes the dwelling?
                > If I have an attached, enclosed garage would the
                > barrier be there? Or would the person have to get to
                > the house proper though the connecting door?

                I would rule that any attached part of the structure is considered part of
                the dwelling.

                John Buczek
                john@...
                Blessed Be!
              • Brian A Stewart
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                  >According to the rules in Monster Smackdown, they have to be a
                  >resident, so if the other PC wasn't a resident, he or she couldn't
                  >invite a vampire in.
                  >Of course, the definition of "resident" can be fairly flexible.

                  Very true! There have been some theories that it is dependant unpon how
                  long someone stays there and stuff like that (which kind of makes me
                  wonder if a semi-truck with a sleeping compartment would qualify, if the
                  driver slept there more often than in his home...?).

                  The hotel room where Faith stayed was not supposed to qualify, apparently
                  since she was technically a guest instead of a resident-- which might
                  mean that resident hotels might be safe....

                  I am kind of curious about whether or not the r.v. my character is living
                  in in Adam C.'s game is the sort of residence a vampire would need an
                  invite to enter or not... (I tend to lean towards a vampire needed an
                  invite, but am not the Director, and could see it being argued either
                  way, since r.v.s are designed as temporary dwellings. OTOH, Shawn IS
                  using it as a permanent dwelling, and has it in a mobile home park!)

                  Of course, my character probably doesn't even KNOW that vampires need to
                  be invited in!

                  Brian (who seems to have a case of the rambles tonight)

                  Brian A. Stewart-- Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
                  "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
                  are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
                  servile, but morally treasonable to the American public."
                  - Theodore Roosevelt

                  Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                • Brian A Stewart
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
                    <snip>
                    >What constitutes the dwelling?
                    >If I have an attached, enclosed garage would the
                    >barrier be there? Or would the person have to get to
                    >the house proper though the connecting door?

                    I'd also be curious about a carport. What about a freestanding garage?
                    (Then there is the possiblity of taking a carport and enclosing it,
                    effectively making it into an attached garage....)

                    Brian (now getting himself REALLY confused!!!)

                    Brian A. Stewart-- Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
                    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
                    are to stand by the President right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
                    servile, but morally treasonable to the American public."
                    - Theodore Roosevelt

                    Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                  • Martin Hall
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
                      --- Brian A Stewart <Brian_A_Stewart@...> wrote:
                      > >According to the rules in Monster Smackdown, they
                      > have to be a
                      > >resident, so if the other PC wasn't a resident, he
                      > or she couldn't
                      > >invite a vampire in.
                      > >Of course, the definition of "resident" can be
                      > fairly flexible.
                      >
                      > Very true! There have been some theories that it is
                      > dependant unpon how
                      > long someone stays there and stuff like that (which
                      > kind of makes me
                      > wonder if a semi-truck with a sleeping compartment
                      > would qualify, if the
                      > driver slept there more often than in his home...?).

                      I recall an Angel episode where someone who ran a
                      magic shop slept in a sleeping bag in the back thus
                      preventing Angel from entering without an invite.

                      http://sbc.yahoo.com