Origins 2009 - The Gathering

  • Daniel Casey ODonovan
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009
      Good afternoon,

      My name is Casey O'Donovan and I am an event coordinator for independent games at Origins Game Fair this year. I understand that there was a fledgling organized play group pulling together a BTVS campaign.

      What I would like to know is if there is enough of an interest to attempt to resurrect this concept or if people are likely to play independent games.

      If you are new to organized play, please take a look at such examples as Living Greyhawk, Living Forgotten Realms, WitchHunter: Dark Prophesy and Fellowship of the White Star.

      My intent is that if there is a desire to see an organized national campaign (in a particular setting and including modules) we at North American Gaming Alliance with the assistance of GAMA will consider directing resources.

      Please, if you have any questions, contact me directly. I look forward to hearing from the Buffy and Angel RPG fans out there and what you think about an organized play campaign.

      Thank you for your time.

      Sincerely,

      Casey O'Donovan
    • Misty
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2009
        I would love to play in a Buffy/Angel organized play campaign.
      • Darcy Smittenaar
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14, 2009
          I would as well, but I'm not sure there are any players in my area who would
          have time for it--they all have their own separate campaigns.

          --
          Darcy's Place: A Journal and Ultimate Archive of Written Works (
          http://dsdragon.blogspot.com)

        • Red Pawn 3
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 15, 2009
            Build it and they will come . . .  [Sorry, couldn't come up with a Buffy/Angel quote that fit better.  BUT, I challenge you to . . . I know it has to exist.]

            Redpawn3
            http://s2.gladiatus.us/game/c.php?uid=113613

            Everybody's acting like we can do anything and it don't matter what we do. Maybe we gotta be extra careful because maybe it matters more than we even know. --Private Eriksson (portrayed by Michael J. Fox), Casualties of War, 1989; written by Daniel Lang (Madagascar  --GnR)

          • Eric C. Kiefer
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2009
              It would have to be entirely fan-run as Eden Studios no longer has the license to the Buffy and Angel rpgs. I'm also not sure how Fox would react. Either they'd be supportive or they could send lawyers with cease & desist orders for using their IP. Anyone seriously considering doing a "Massively Multiplayer Pencil&Paper Role Playing Game" / "Shared World Campaign" / "Living" campaign / Whatever-you-want-to-call-it with Buffy/Angel would be well served discussing with George V. of Eden who his contacts at Fox are and seeing if they're willing to allow it to happen. It would suck to spend a hundred hours getting a web site designed, a few modules written, edited, and ready for distribution, and events listed at some conventions only to get a C&D from Fox.

              It never went anywhere, but Derrick and I briefly had discussions about a Shared World All Flesh Campaign (since Eden owns the IP on that). It's a lot of work that has to be done entirely on a volunteer basis and it's hard to find someone who is willing to put 10-20 (or more) hours a week, 52 weeks a year, unpaid. Well, willing to do it and able to do it well and responsibly.

              It is possible though as evidenced by the Fellowship of the Whitestar campaign. But it's a whole bunch easier if you've got a company who can toss you some help with web server bandwidth, product support, etc.

              Cordially,

              Eric K.
              www.PittsburghRPGA.org

              --- In btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com, "Misty" <cthulhumistress@...> wrote:

              > I would love to play in a Buffy/Angel organized play campaign.

            • Jae Walker
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17, 2009
                Our club has an ongoing campaign using the Buffy rules. Everyone is a
                white hat, and we're just starting to have people using sorcery and
                psychic abilities. It's set at the local university and has been a
                lot of fun thus far. I'm biased - I run it.

                I did talk to George, and got permission to expand it to a shared
                world campaign, but as noted, it takes a lot of time and energy to do
                that. We call it MSU Shadows, but if we went external we'd be
                changing the title to School Spirits.

                Jae Walker
                www.carp-mi.net
                --
                While we breathe, there's hope.
                We don't hide from history - we make it.
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 17, 2009
                  Eric,

                  This is pretty much what I expected to see. Myself, I don't have the energy or time to develop, organize, implement and then manage a living campaign by myself.

                  I'll report back to the NAGA and Gathering groups.

                  If people are interested in seeing Buffy games at conventions in the future, I would suggest that GMs sign up to run independant games.

                  Thank you all for your time.

                  D. Casey O'Donovan

                  "Your Grace, I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?" - Honor Harrington - Flag in Exile

                  ________________________________
                  It would have to be entirely fan-run as Eden Studios no longer has the license to the Buffy and Angel rpgs. I'm also not sure how Fox would react. Either they'd be supportive or they could send lawyers with cease & desist orders for using their IP. Anyone seriously considering doing a "Massively Multiplayer Pencil&Paper Role Playing Game" / "Shared World Campaign" / "Living" campaign / Whatever-you- want-to-call- it with Buffy/Angel would be well served discussing with George V. of Eden who his contacts at Fox are and seeing if they're willing to allow it to happen. It would suck to spend a hundred hours getting a web site designed, a few modules written, edited, and ready for distribution, and events listed at some conventions only to get a C&D from Fox.

                  It never went anywhere, but Derrick and I briefly had discussions about a Shared World All Flesh Campaign (since Eden owns the IP on that). It's a lot of work that has to be done entirely on a volunteer basis and it's hard to find someone who is willing to put 10-20 (or more) hours a week, 52 weeks a year, unpaid. Well, willing to do it and able to do it well and responsibly.

                  It is possible though as evidenced by the Fellowship of the Whitestar campaign. But it's a whole bunch easier if you've got a company who can toss you some help with web server bandwidth, product support, etc.

                  Cordially,

                  Eric K.
                  www.PittsburghRPGA. org

                  --- In btvsrpg-eden@ yahoogroups. com, "Misty" <cthulhumistress@ ...> wrote:

                  > I would love to play in a Buffy/Angel organized play campaign.

                • Douglas Prosser
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 17, 2009
                    Hi Jae,

                    this is Doug Prosser

                    It's been a long time!

                    We were playing buffyverse here alot but not recently.
                    I was running a campaign that took place in NYC in the 1950's
                    No slayer but there was a 7th son of a 7th son that could talk to the dead.
                    A human girl that inherited demon sight, and a 3rd eye.
                    And an Puerto Rican American greaser that got turned into a Saint Germaine
                    like vampire.

                    I'd love to get to MI to play again... maybe next year after I retire.

                    Doug
                    To: btvsrpg-eden@yahoogroups.com