Re: [btvsrpg-eden] Re: DVDs

  • Foebane
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
      Different seasons bought at different times so overall quality control is rubbish. IMHO

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
        Having worked with DVD burners, I wouldn't be so quick to right it off. Is
        it burned by the same company? Probably. That means it's likely to be the
        same machine. Add to that the volume running through them, and an error that
        takes even 15 minutes to catch results in a single error being repeated
        hundreds, if not thousands, of times. If it's the same error on both sets,
        as I said, the most likely reason is a manufacturer screw up. It's not the
        only possibility, but it's the most likely.

        _____

        Different seasons bought at different times so overall quality control is
        rubbish. IMHO

        Most likely from the same batch when there was a mechanical problem or dirt
        in the burning machine.

        Regards,

        Steven Trustrum
        President For Life (or until the money runs out)
        Misfit Studios

        http://www.misfit- <http://www.misfit-studios.com> studios.com
        trustrum@misfit- <mailto:trustrum%40misfit-studios.com> studios.com
        416-857-2433

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
          Hi there. Normally a lurker here.
          The problem I most encounter with DVD sets is that when I get them home and unwrap them, the disks are not on the spindle mechanism and floating free in the box. Of course the reflective back is constantly being pressed against and sliding across the hard plastic spindle which of course scratches the disks. I had to return Buffy season 3 and Angel seasons 2,3, and 4 because of this. On Angel s4, all the disks in the package were free and the backs of the disks were gouged.
          The machines just don't securely press the disk onto the spindle to lock it into place or the spindle breaks or little care is given in transport.
          There's got to be a better way to secure the DVDs in the packaging so they stay where they should and don't get scratched, but DVD manufacturers are notoriously lacking in moral fiber or basic customer service techniques so they'd rather just keep churning out poor quality disks and bad packaging than fix the problem.
          There's little to no recourse other than to stop buying disks. Which is a valid choice, though not my personal one.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2008
            Maybe they should do what they do with the boxes for PS3 games and
            BlueRay discs. Make em square and just large enough to fit the disk.
            Less space for a loose disk to move around in AND they use less
            plastic.

            On 02/01/2008, David C Colvin <colvind@...> wrote:
            > Hi there. Normally a lurker here.
            > The problem I most encounter with DVD sets is that when I get them home and
            > unwrap them, the disks are not on the spindle mechanism and floating free in
            > the box. Of course the reflective back is constantly being pressed against
            > and sliding across the hard plastic spindle which of course scratches the
            > disks. I had to return Buffy season 3 and Angel seasons 2,3, and 4 because
            > of this. On Angel s4, all the disks in the package were free and the backs
            > of the disks were gouged.
            > The machines just don't securely press the disk onto the spindle to lock it
            > into place or the spindle breaks or little care is given in transport.
            > There's got to be a better way to secure the DVDs in the packaging so they
            > stay where they should and don't get scratched, but DVD manufacturers are
            > notoriously lacking in moral fiber or basic customer service techniques so
            > they'd rather just keep churning out poor quality disks and bad packaging
            > than fix the problem.
            > There's little to no recourse other than to stop buying disks. Which is a
            > valid choice, though not my personal one.

            Blog: http://blaster219.blogspot.com
            DeviantART: http://blaster219.deviantart.com

            Pronounced atmospheric scattering of shorter wavelengths, resulting in
            selective transmission below 650 nanometers with progressively
            reducing solar elevation, produces a tendency toward irrational
            euphoria among primitive herders of domesticated ovines.