Re: [btvsrpg-eden] Breaking the Line

  • Greg Pearson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
      Alexander Lambert wrote:

      > Weighing each of these explanations, I eventually reached an
      > eccentric conclusion based on the third-season episode "Helpless"
      > (depicting Buffy's eighteenth birthday party and the test that
      > Quentin Travers arranged for her).
      >
      > In that episode, the Watchers' Council of Britain enacted a plan to
      > lie to Buffy, trap her in a house with a crazed vampire, and drug
      > her into helplessness beforehand. From this, I drew the preliminary
      > conclusion that the Watchers' Council of Britain will lie, ambush,
      > and drug people into helplessness in order to get what they want;
      > and what they want is for superpowered teenaged girls to martyr
      > themselves for the sake of the Watchers' own fat lazy asses.

      The Slayer in our game came to pretty much the same conclusion,
      after learning about this fine Watcher tradition from a disgruntled
      ex-Watcher when she was 16. This is very timely, since tomorrow
      night's session will be her 18th brithday (our game is set pre-Buffy,
      so the destruction of the Council won't be an issue for another decade).
      Should be fun -- I think most of the cast is expecting homicidal
      tweed-clad commandos lurking around every corner.

      > P.S. And for added circumstantial evidence in favor of this theory,
      > I've idly spent years looking for examples of any of Sunnydale's
      > particularly knowledgeable evil masterminds (either by virtue of
      > extraordinary longevity or copious occult studies) refering to Buffy
      > as "the" slayer rather than "a" slayer before she had firsthand
      > foiled at least one of their nefarious schemes, and I haven't found
      > any to date.

      I believe it was the Master who referred to her as "prettier than
      the last one". Of course, he could have just meant the last one
      he met.

      ------------
      Greg Pearson
      So where's the Bat Cave? Where are the ninja strike teams?
      The private jet? The orbital laser satellites? Don't you
      people even have a Swiss Bank Account?
      --Drew, Slaying Solomon episode 1.2 "Silent Screams"
      http://www.velvet-edge.com/buffy
    • Chris Dellario
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
        > From this, I drew the preliminary conclusion that the Watchers'
        Council of Britain will lie, ambush, and drug people into helplessness
        in order to get what they want; and what they want is for superpowered
        teenaged girls to martyr themselves for the sake of the Watchers' own
        fat lazy asses.

        Sure, and the episode "Checkpoint" from Season five certainly supports
        this belief. That's the episode in which Travers and his Watcher
        entourage arrive and attempt to intimidate Buffy and the Scoobies into
        falling back in line with the Council, that is until Buffy realizes that
        they're generally a bunch of people with little power who have wielded
        greater power in the past by bullying the Slayer.

        However, there's another plausible option regarding the issue of Mr.
        Zabuto. Assuming Giles was factually correct when he said that the
        situation of two Slayers was unprecedented, Zabuto may have simply not
        believed the reports that Buffy Summers was still alive. And why should
        he? Not only had the situation never before occurred, but it runs
        counter to all previous rules about the Slayer, e.g. "One girl in all
        the world." Now you might think such denial is implausible, but
        consider this: many Americans still believe that WMDs will be found in
        Iraq and believe that Saddam Hussein was responsible for the attacks on
        9/11.

        Chris Dellario
        Lead Engineer
        Whatif Productions LLC
        http://www.whatif.info <http://www.whatif.info/>
        (617) 977-0115

      • Cory Stanish
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2004
          I like that conclusion. In fact, it's the same one I
          used as the basis for a Buffy RPG I ran years ago,
          before the real game came out.
          The plot of an entire season revolved around peeling
          back the layers of conspiracy to reveal that there
          were numerous Slayers, all over the world and the
          Council was keeping them secret from each other. They
          were even killing Watchers and Slayers who didn't want
          to go along with it. It was bad news.

          -Cory

          =====
          "Violence stinks no matter which side of it you're on. But now and then there's nothing left to do but hit the other person over the head with a frying pan."
          �Tom Robbins, "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues"

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Web Warlock
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
            These have been on my hard drive for a while, time to air them out.

            Witch Hunter Robin is a fascinating Japanese animation by Sunrise (of Cowboy
            Bebop and Gundam Wing fame). I am not much into Anime, but this one was
            great. A cross between "X-men" and "The X-Files" with parts of the old TV
            show "The Others" and CJ Carella's "Witchcraft" thrown in for good measure.
            Any modern horror gamer should find something here to like. A great tale of
            government conspiracy, occult themes, and witches. What is not to love about
            all of that?

            The 26 episode series (that is all they were going to make) deals with a
            witch hunter named Robin Sena.

            Fifteen year old Robin is the newest hunter to be assigned to Solomon
            Toukatsu Nin'idantai (Solomon Executive Organization) - Japan, or STN-J.
            Robin though is different. She is European-Japanese working in an all
            Japanese environment (in one episode a co-worker makes fun of her Japanese,
            in another she eats Miso soup with a spoon). Her early childhood was spent
            in a convent in Italy. There her life consisted of prayer, chores and
            learning to use her craft. She dresses in a full-length black dress that is
            reminiscent of the Victorian age. But that is not what sets her apart.

            Robin is a craft-user. A witch.

            She is sent to STN-J after the death of another hunter. What Robin is
            really there for, and what she does are part of the drama and story.

            Now "Witch Hunter Robin" is different than most American fare. It is by it's
            nature, slower; it takes time to build up to the main plot. We need to see
            her reactions to the various day-to-day operations of STN-J. Like how she
            relates to fellow hunter Amon (is she crushing on him? does he want/need to
            kill her?), or what is the deal with Dojima anyway (great payoff there!). Or
            why she refuses to use the anti-Witch Orboro guns.
            It lacks sex, T&A and some of the things that we have become accustom to on
            American TV, but the story is first rate. I don't know much about anime
            really, but the visual style is fantastic. It is very easy to see this being
            remade as a live action drama. The musical score is also reminiscent of
            "the X-files", haunting, dramatic and really just very, very good.

            Robin's Powers
            Robin is a fire-starter, a pyrokinetic. She can create and manipulate fire
            as a force of will. She can set small fires or large ones at will, or even
            use her fire to block attacks of a mundane or magical nature.
            She also has quite a store of occult knowledge, she knows about magical
            circles and the histories of various witch-types. So her classical training
            is a bit better than her co-hunters. She understands witches because she
            trained as one.
            Robin's weaknesses come in the form of her eyesight. As she uses her magic,
            her vision blurs. Unless she is wearing her glasses, she can't see to hit
            her target.

            Witches in Robin's World
            Witches is the world of Witch Hunter Robin are treated as another race of
            humans, much in the same way that the mutants are in the X-Men. Witches has
            a specific "witch gene", which in a sense makes them more like psionicists
            or mutants rather than witches, but they draw connections with this and the
            witches of Salem and occult ideas, so an interesting mix to be sure.
            The job of Solomon is to "remove" witches and seeds (witches whose powers
            have not manifested) who use their powers. STN-J's policy is not to kill
            witches, but instead they use a drug "Orobo" to nullify their magic and
            knock them out (In Unisystem I would say one shot per levels of Sorcery, or
            Magic in BESM). Witches are then carted off to "the Factory". What happens
            to them is one of the major plot points of the show, so I won't reveal it
            here.

            Robin in Your Game
            There are a multitude of reasons Robin Sena (or any number of other STN-J
            agents) could show up in your game. Maybe Solomon HQ is setting up shop to
            take out the local supernatural population (whether you want them too or
            not) and in tow is Robin.
            Or maybe you decide that Robin strikes out on her own. After all those 26
            episodes were in 2002; who knows what she could be doing in 2004. So she
            ends up in your neck of the woods. Is going to be Hunter or Witch? Well
            that is for you to decide.
            In any case Robin should be one of the most powerful witches in your game
            despite her age. That is sort of her purpose really. To continue her tale
            she would be naturally drawn to places with large numbers of supernatural
            events, whether you have her working for Solomon or not.

            Robin is quiet, a little shy and withdrawn. She was shown to be
            uncomfortable in some situations, but that can be due to understanding the
            culture she was in. Also Robin is carrying around a few secrets with her,
            mostly to do with her real reasons for being at STN-J and her own origins.
            In the show Robin is rarely seen without her glasses when doing magic. She
            also owns a Vespa scooter and a bike (her driving skills are calculated with
            these in mind). When not hunting rogue witches she can be found drinking
            coffee or espressos.

            More detailed information can be found here
            http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/whr.php
            http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/whr_stats.php
            http://www.xtreme-gaming.com/theotherside/whr_stats_besm.php

            Robin Sena
            (from Witch Hunter Robin)

            Race: Human
            Occupation: Witch Hunter / Witch
            Age: 15 (in 2002)
            Gender: F
            Height: 5'1"
            Weight: 105#
            Eyes: Green
            Hair: Auburn

            Mother: Maria, presumed dead
            Father: Toudou, dead.
            Grandfather (maternal): Juliano Collegrie, priest and high ranking officer
            of Solomon HQ.
            Allies: Amon, Nagira, hunters from STN-J
            Enemies: Rogue witches, rival hunters

            Languages: Japanese, Italian, English

            Attributes
            Strength 2
            Dexterity 2
            Constitution 3
            Intelligence 5
            Perception 2
            Willpower 6

            Life Points 33
            Drama Points 10

            Skills
            Acrobatics 0
            Art 1
            Computers 1
            Crime 3
            Doctor 0
            Driving 2
            Getting Medieval 1
            Gun Fu 0
            Influence 1
            Knowledge 4
            Kung Fu 1
            Languages 4
            Mr. Fix-It 0
            Notice 4
            Occultism 6
            Science 1
            Sports 0
            Wild Card 0

            Qualities
            Attractiveness 2
            Contacts 3
            Fast Reaction Time
            Hard To Kill 1
            Occult Investigator
            Occult Library 1
            Pyrokinesis 7
            Sorcery Level 4

            Drawbacks
            Adversary 5 (witches, rival hunters)
            Addiction 1 (Mild, caffeine)
            Emotional Problems
            Honorable 1
            Impaired Sense 1 (Vision when using magic)
            Obligation 3 (Solomon, STN-J)
            Outcast (foreigner in Japan)
            Secret 3 (witch, others)
            Teenager
            Zealot

            Useful Information
            Initiative 7 +1d10
            Perception 6
            Additional actions 0
            Armor 0

            Combat Maneuvers

            Maneuver Bonus Base Damage Notes
            Dodge 3 - Defensive Move
            Punch 3 4 Bash
            Kick 3 6 Bash
            Magic 16 - By Spell type
            Pyrokinesis 12 5 x SL Will x SL + Fire Damage
            Telekinesis 10
          • Joni
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 6, 2004
              Has anyone seen Eco Eco Azarak? Or Misa, The Dark Angel? I'm curious about
              the stats for her...

              I'm not very good at doing stats. Tis a weakness...

              Joni