Re: Bantam John

  • dvrrmg
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1 4:56 PM
      My experience of this chap is that he is a waste of time and space.
      He made all sorts of promises and 21/2 years later has not come up
      with the parts. I have now found them elsewhere. (I didn't pay up
      front). Trouble is he buys up huge amounts of stock as it comes on
      the market then hoards it. He told me he has the old OTJ unit single
      stock. He also has the former Bob Joyner stock. I found him rude
      and unprofessional and will not deal with him any more.

      On the other hand I have dealt with Mick Page at Burton a number of
      times , usually by e mail but also at his old shop. Slightly pricy
      but a good service and I found him very helpful and knowledgable. He
      replaced 2 A65 side panels lost in the post without a quibble. I've
      always found him very down to earth but not rude.

      Ian

      --- In bsa@yahoogroups.com, "York House" <yorkhouse@t...> wrote:
      > Alex,
      >
      > Re Bantam John
      >
      > I have had dealings with this supplier who is based near
      Sheffield. I've
      > never heard of him trying the trick he played on you but he has
      got a
      > reputation of being a rip off merchant. He wanted £120 for a
      conical rear
      > hub. I subsequently bought an as new one for £50, but not off
      him.
      At least
      > I knew the full price up front and could decide to buy elsewhere.
      Someone
      > told me he used to be a teacher....
      >
      > Another charmer that I wouldn't phone again is Burton bike bits.
      In 35+
      > years of riding old bikes and buying parts, he is one of the
      rudest people I
      > have ever had the misfortune to speak to. Bantam John's prices but
      without
      > the social skills!
      >
      > I would recommend TMS and Gagg's in Nottingham. I've had
      excellent postal
      > service and courtesy from both.
      >
      > Jon
      > Descartes France
      >

      > PS Does anyone know where I can get an exhaust system for an A65FS
      oif that fits?

    • j_dormon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 24, 2009
        Sadly my experience of the Sheffield gentleman's restoration of my A65 tank have been expensive (very), time consuming and unsatisfactory. It took over a year for the tank to be returned, and that after many calls and excuses. In that time I fitted another tank to get the bike usable.

        When I finally decided to put the new tank on as the machine was to be displayed. The "restored" article was removed my dry atic only revealed a rust spot and pitting in the chrome. There had been no attempt to fit the knee grips (part of the requested, and paid for upfront, work) and furthermore the threads for the taps had been drilled out but not restored. I had to continue with the tatty old tank while going through the further expense of a helicoil kit.

        My calls on the matter have not been returned.

        John

        --- In bsa@yahoogroups.com, "dvrrmg" <i.ferguson@...> wrote:

        > My experience of this chap is that he is a waste of time and space.
        > He made all sorts of promises and 21/2 years later has not come up
        > with the parts. I have now found them elsewhere. (I didn't pay up
        > front). Trouble is he buys up huge amounts of stock as it comes on
        > the market then hoards it. He told me he has the old OTJ unit single
        > stock. He also has the former Bob Joyner stock. I found him rude
        > and unprofessional and will not deal with him any more.
        >
        > On the other hand I have dealt with Mick Page at Burton a number of
        > times , usually by e mail but also at his old shop. Slightly pricy
        > but a good service and I found him very helpful and knowledgable. He
        > replaced 2 A65 side panels lost in the post without a quibble. I've
        > always found him very down to earth but not rude.
        >
        > Ian
        >

        > --- In bsa@yahoogroups.com, "York House" <yorkhouse@t...> wrote:
        > > Alex,
        > >
        > > Re Bantam John
        > >
        > > I have had dealings with this supplier who is based near
        > Sheffield. I've
        > > never heard of him trying the trick he played on you but he has
        > got a
        > > reputation of being a rip off merchant. He wanted £120 for a
        > conical rear
        > > hub. I subsequently bought an as new one for £50, but not off
        > him.
        > At least
        > > I knew the full price up front and could decide to buy elsewhere.
        > Someone
        > > told me he used to be a teacher....
        > >
        > > Another charmer that I wouldn't phone again is Burton bike bits.
        > In 35+
        > > years of riding old bikes and buying parts, he is one of the
        > rudest people I
        > > have ever had the misfortune to speak to. Bantam John's prices but
        > without
        > > the social skills!
        > >
        > > I would recommend TMS and Gagg's in Nottingham. I've had
        > excellent postal
        > > service and courtesy from both.
        > >
        > > Jon
        > > Descartes France
        > >

        > > PS Does anyone know where I can get an exhaust system for an A65FS
        > oif that fits?

      • Alan Coates
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24, 2009
          Personally, I have had only good experiences dealing with Bantam John Phelan over the last 8 years, during this time he has always been very polite and friendly.

          He was very helpful when I was restoring my A65 and has been more than helpful when I have needed parts in a hurry.

          Several friends have had similar experiences.

          I too have found Mick Page at Burton Bike Bits to be extremely helpful.

          No complaints regarding TMS, Gaggs, Draganfly or Supreme either.

          Maybe I'm just lucky?

          Alan C.

> [...]

          > him.
          > At least
          > > I knew the full price up front and could decide to buy elsewhere.
          > Someone
          > > told me he used to be a teacher....
          > >
          > > Another charmer that I wouldn't phone again is Burton bike bits.
          > In 35+
          > > years of riding old bikes and buying parts, he is one of the
          > rudest people I
          > > have ever had the misfortune to speak to. Bantam John's prices but
          > without
          > > the social skills!
          > >
          > > I would recommend TMS and Gagg's in Nottingham. I've had
          > excellent postal
          > > service and courtesy from both.
          > >
          > > Jon
          > > Descartes France
          > >

          > > PS Does anyone know where I can get an exhaust system for an A65FS

        • STEPHEN POWELL
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2010
            Hi folks,

            Has anyone had difficulties with obtaining BSA spares from Bantam John aka British Sheffield Motorcycles?

            Just to let you know I ordered £400 worth of spares and as yet only received half.  Everytime I ring excuses come flying out of the wood work.  He will not send any spares parts until he recieves your order/cash.  I thought it would be 3-5 days delivery but not so.  I been waiting since Oct 2009.

            If you want BSA Spares promptly, suggest alternative suppliers.

            Steve

          • Andy Lorenz
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 23, 2010
              Why not pop in and see him at the Stafford show this weekend.
              He is always so polite and willing to help.

              Bantam 'Take it or leave it, that's my price.' John

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8 2:36 AM
                Quote "He is very knowldgeable carries good stock but sometimes can seem a
                little bit awkward to deal with and he likes cash payment" .

                I'll say.... and imo he is very pricy.

                I live in France now but I'm from Chesterfield and still visit there a few times a year but I've never been able to deal with Bantam John due to his prices and attitude. Shame really. Bonne chance!

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com/
                =======

              • don9598
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 13, 2014
                  Just to give my opinion on Bantam John, he operates a company called Sheffield British motorcycles, I have dealt with him a few times in the past, and yes, he can be a little short on the phone sometimes if you catch him at a busy time looking for something strange, However, he has always provided me with the parts I required for my bike, and even more recently I had the bad idea of buying a DMW deemster with a broken kick start. These are unique to the DMW deemster and not many were sold so I called John in the hope he might be able to help me. He knew he had them, but did not know where they were in the warehouse. (He carries about 2000 tonnes of spares so it is a large warehouse) so he took my details. 6 months passed and then, out of the blue he rang me, he had exactly what I wanted. He also now takes card payment over the phone so that was a big improvement compared having to send him money orders in the past.
                  so, 3 days later my kickstart arrived and all is well.
                  So to all you out there, yes, he can be a little tempermental, but for me, saved me a fortune if I had to get the kickstart for the bike made.