Re: [broccoli] The New Immigrants ...

  • Jaysson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22, 2010
      I whole heartedly agree.

      --- On Wed, 5/19/10, Adry V <Adry_5@...> wrote:

      From: Adry V <Adry_5@...>
      Subject: [broccoli] The New Immigrants ...
      To: adry_5@...
      Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 11:25 AM

      From: "David LaBonte"

      My wife, Rosemary, wrote a wonderful letter to the editor of the OC Register which, of course, was not printed. So, I decided to "print" it myself by sending it out on the Internet. Pass it along if you feel so inclined. Written in response to a series of letters to the editor in the Orange County Register:

      Dear Editor:

      So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't being treated the same as those who passed through Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

      Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people

      like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept

      this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when

      there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the

      United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a

      long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get

      down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made

      a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in

      good and bad times. They made learning English a primary

      rule in their new American households and some even changed

      their names to blend in with their new home.

      They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their

      children a new life and did everything in their power to

      help their children assimilate into one culture. Nothing was

      handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws

      to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity.

      Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out.

      My father fought along side men whose parents had come

      straight over from Germany , Italy , France and Japan . None

      of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought

      about what country their parents had come from. They were

      Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of

      Japan . They were defending the United States of America as

      one people.

      When we liberated France , no one in those villages were looking

      for the French-American or the German American or the Irish

      American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we

      carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of

      those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up

      another country's flag and waving it to represent who they

      were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had

      sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew

      what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting

      pot into one red, white and blue bowl.

      And here we are with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same

      rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by

      playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the

      entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their

      mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American

      is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on

      Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that

      for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future

      generations to create a land that has become a beacon for

      those legally searching for a better life. I think they

      would be appalled that they are being used as an example by

      those waving foreign country flags.

      And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty , it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about

      dismantling the United States just yet.

      (signed)

      Rosemary LaBonte

      I sincerely hope this letter gets read by millions of people

      all across the nation!!