bi-yearly update

  • David Coutant
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
      I miss this little group. I was rereading some of the old stuff. Fond
      memories.
      I'm back in California, living in Whittier with my wife (of 2 & a half
      years!). We just got a dog. That makes five cats & two dogs (three girls,
      two boys, two girls, respectively ([Katie/Millie/Lucy/Boo/Wog/Lady/Luna])).

      I played bass in a band in Atlanta called Tx/Rx, & I played a place called
      Eddie's Attic a lot with my solo acoustic act (look up Eddie's, it's got a
      rich history including John Mayer). & when I got back I got my band back
      together, including Jay from CZ & a new drummer. We're electric now, with a
      full drum kit. Much different sound. www.myspace.com/orangeconesmusic
      Yeah, we're called Orange Cones, & we just recorded a 10-song 'demo' which
      is becoming more of an album with all the time it's taking for mixing &
      mastering. Recorded it in July. It's still not done.
      I'm still working for Therapak, got a couple more promotions (Purchasing
      Supervisor, tyvm) & I'm approaching 7 years with the company.
      A big part of my life in recent years has been worrying (bitching) about my
      brother, who is very not capable. Everyone in the family has tried to help
      him out over the years, help him get on his feet, on stable ground. None of
      our efforts have amounted to any real success. I do believe he's just
      rented a house in Pasadena where he will live with his girlfriend (don't
      call her that in front of him!) & our grandmother, who is 95. She's paying,
      of course. I can't imagine how (...) that will go.
      But anyway, I'm happily married, I have a steady job, & my band is looking
      promising. Things are good for me.
      I hope to hear similarly from my listers.
    • fire drake
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 22, 2008
        Holy fuck, Adry, these frequent updates are just overloading my sensory capacity! But thanks. :D

        I have only one cat. Still living by myself. Occasionally writing poetry or prose. Eleven thousand + words into a short story. Had a couple of poems selected and published in a collection of writings in a small print run of probably less than a thousand copies. I'm not working, and that's really the way I like it. I'm reasonably healthy. Partly because I no longer have a car and therefore walk almost everywhere I need to.

        Lance

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 22, 2008
          My wife keeps talking about moving to a place where we don't have to have
          cars, like NYC. Walking is good, public transport is okay (if you're not in
          L.A.). But I kind of love driving. Sure, I get my fill at times.

          So I had a party at my house last night, & Orange Cones rocked it. That
          should kick off our live career, as I expect we will be getting some shows
          here & there very soon. If anybody knows people who do booking, or bands
          that are looking to team up for some gigs, I'd love to hear about it. For
          any compatibility concerns, check us out on myspace.com/orangeconesmusic.
          We finally have a few mastered tracks. I'm very excited about this band, in
          case that wasn't clear.

          I did something for fun, which may contain too much information (don't
          worry, none of yours).

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Adry_5

          I'll be around, so go ahead & check in if you can.

          5

          _____

          --- On Wed, 9/10/08, David Coutant <dcoutant@therapak.
          <mailto:dcoutant%40therapak.com> com> wrote:

          > From: David Coutant <dcoutant@therapak. <mailto:dcoutant%40therapak.com>
          com>
          > Subject: [broccoli] bi-yearly update
          > To: broccoli@yahoogroup <mailto:broccoli%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
          > Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 4:55 PM
          > I miss this little group. I was rereading some of the old
          > stuff. Fond
          > memories.
          > I'm back in California, living in Whittier with my wife
          > (of 2 & a half
          > years!). We just got a dog. That makes five cats &
          > two dogs (three girls,
          > two boys, two girls, respectively
          > ([Katie/Millie/Lucy/Boo/Wog/Lady/Luna])).
          >
          > I played bass in a band in Atlanta called Tx/Rx, & I
          > played a place called
          > Eddie's Attic a lot with my solo acoustic act (look up
          > Eddie's, it's got a
          > rich history including John Mayer). & when I got back
          > I got my band back
          > together, including Jay from CZ & a new drummer.
          > We're electric now, with a
          > full drum kit. Much different sound.
          > www.myspace.com/orangeconesmusic
          > Yeah, we're called Orange Cones, & we just recorded
          > a 10-song 'demo' which
          > is becoming more of an album with all the time it's
          > taking for mixing &
          > mastering. Recorded it in July. It's still not done.
          >
          > I'm still working for Therapak, got a couple more
          > promotions (Purchasing
          > Supervisor, tyvm) & I'm approaching 7 years with
          > the company.
          > A big part of my life in recent years has been worrying
          > (bitching) about my
          > brother, who is very not capable. Everyone in the family
          > has tried to help
          > him out over the years, help him get on his feet, on stable
          > ground. None of
          > our efforts have amounted to any real success. I do
          > believe he's just
          > rented a house in Pasadena where he will live with his
          > girlfriend (don't
          > call her that in front of him!) & our grandmother, who
          > is 95. She's paying,
          > of course. I can't imagine how (...) that will go.
          > But anyway, I'm happily married, I have a steady job,
          > & my band is looking
          > promising. Things are good for me.
          > I hope to hear similarly from my listers.

        • Cheralyn
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
            back in california?  hmmm, i don't recall getting an email or phone call?  i must be getting senile.  especially seeing as i'm living in pasadena now.  i'm just saying...

            yearly update...okay, here goes.  i finished chemo in march.  clean bill o health.  officially in remission.  good times.  so fucking tired of doctors and being poked and prodded.  i'm still working in the auto parts industry though i'm working for a company that makes clutches now.  i'm living in a little house in old town pasadena but plan to move to silverlake or los feliz in december.  i want to be closer to my friends and to most of my hangouts (seeing as i've embraced my inner hipster and all heehee).  no boyfriend though i date a lot.  dating in yer 30's is so much more fun than dating in your teens or 20's.  honestly.  not sure if i'll ever get married again.  on that note, i did manage to move 4 blocks away from kevin and his new wife...if it weren't for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all.  i almost didn't recognize him at first when i ran into him at the laundromat a few months ago...and he certainly didn't recognize me (which is
            understandable, i guess, seeing as i've lost 80 lbs since we divorced).  not much else to report...

            i know adry is but are any of the rest of you guys on myspace or facebook?  look me up  www.myspace.com/cheralynhale

            hope everyone is doing well.  for realsys!

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
              Wow, Kev's remarried? Poor girl.

              Did you talk to him, or did you let him not recognize you & move on? I
              would have voted for the latter.

              Fantastic news about the chemo. Congratulations on that & moving up from
              mufflers.

              Are you still hanging out with any musicians? Because I need to refresh
              some contacts. Got stuff going on in the biz again, but I'm serious this
              time, none of that fucking around & doing drugs crap. This time it's not
              about the lifestyle, it's about the music. Basically we're interested in
              local groups to do gigs with. Or promoters.

              Yeah, I snuck back into Cali under the radar. It was back at the front of
              May. There's been so much personal crap going on & I don't have internet at
              home, so it's hard to get in touch with anyone. I'm going to start working
              at Laemmle's One Colorado this weekend, until they close (Oct 26). You
              should come by one Sunday afternoon & visit. I'll let you in to see a
              movie. Bring a friend.

              I'd like to know what the big advantages are to dating in your 30s. Also,
              send me your phone # at dcoutant@....

              See ya.

              5

              _____

              From: fire drake <feuerdraache@ <mailto:feuerdraache%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com>
              To: broccoli@yahoogroup <mailto:broccoli%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
              Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 12:42 PM

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                yeah, he got married last year to a girl he used to work with at baker's square (a girl we all referred to as "sarah the man").  they seem happy.  i'm glad to be rid of him.  i'm a terrible person.  yeah, i talked to him for a few minutes.  just quick catch up kinda stuff.  i couldn't get out of there fast enough.  it was weird.

                of course i'm still hanging out with musicians.  my last boyfriend was the music editor for h monthly magazine so i've met lots of cool people in that industry.  i know a couple promoters and managers too.  we'll talk for sure.

                they're closing that theatre?  i go there all the time.  that sucks.  i will definitely hit you up some sunday.  i really want to see burn after reading so maybe you'll see me soon!

                the advantages to dating in your 30's? well, first of all, i don't feel that compulsion to see if every guy i go out with is "the one".  i'm perfectly content with my life as it is...i have great friends and do fun stuff all the time.  i don't *need* a boyfriend...so if i choose to have one it's because the person is really special.  also, it seems like guys in their 30's tend to be more creative with their dates.  i've been taken on some really fun ones the past few years.  i dunno how to explain it exactly...maybe it's just that my attitude towards dating has changed and i'm taking it way less seriously than i used to...having more fun with it.  hell, i'm dating three different guys right now and having a great time.  jesus, i sound like a slut haha!

                i'll email you my number, kid!  don't be afraid to use it.  i've never met this wife of yours...we should do something about that!

[...]

                send me your phone # at dcoutant@therapak. com.

                See ya.

                5

                _____

                From: fire drake <feuerdraache@ <mailto:feuerdraach e%40yahoo. com> yahoo.com>
                To: broccoli@yahoogroup <mailto:broccoli% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
                Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 12:42 PM

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2008
                  Oh, you've met her. She was at the Teaszer the night you hooked up with
                  Kevin, for one thing. Hm, she says she doesn't know you either. Yes,
                  you'll have to meet.

                  H monthly, eh? My good friend Daryl had a 3-page story in the last issue
                  (w/ Anna Paquin on the cover). He's Procrastinato Productions.

                  Burn After Reading is awesome. I might see it again on Thursday (tomorrow).

                  5

                  _____

                  --- On Wed, 9/24/08, David Coutant <dcoutant@therapak.

                  From: fire drake <feuerdraache@ <mailto:feuerdraach e%40yahoo. com>
                  yahoo.com>
                  To: broccoli@yahoogroup <mailto:broccoli% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
                  Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 12:42 PM

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 26, 2008
                    well, to be fair, that night at the teaszer was a blur even 10 years ago.  maybe seeing her in person will jog my memory.  probably not.

                    my ex actually wrote that piece on anna paquin.  i'm friends with both the publisher, todd, and the editor, elizabeth.   they're good people.  my ex is a douchebag who i avoid at all costs.  i really know how to pick em.  he's a helluva writer though.  i have to give the douchebag that.

                    i've heard the movie is awesome.  are you much into tv?  i've become obsessed with it's always sunny in philadelphia.  funny, funny shit.  for sure!

                    From: fire drake <feuerdraache@ <mailto:feuerdraach e%40yahoo. com>
                    yahoo.com>
                    To: broccoli@yahoogroup <mailto:broccoli% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
                    Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 12:42 PM

                    Holy fuck, Adry, these frequent updates are just overloading my sensory
                    capacity! But thanks. :D

                    I have only one cat. Still living by myself. Occasionally writing poetry or
                    prose. Eleven thousand + words into a short story. Had a couple of poems
                    selected and published in a collection of writings in a small print run of
                    probably less than a thousand copies. I'm not working, and that's really the
                    way I like it. I'm reasonably healthy. Partly because I no longer have a car
                    and therefore walk almost everywhere I need to.

                    Lance

                    > I miss this little group. I was rereading some of the old
                    > stuff. Fond
                    > memories.
                    > I'm back in California, living in Whittier with my wife
                    > (of 2 & a half
                    > years!). We just got a dog. That makes five cats &
                    > two dogs (three girls,
                    > two boys, two girls, respectively
                    > ([Katie/Millie/ Lucy/Boo/ Wog/Lady/ Luna])).
                    >
                    > I played bass in a band in Atlanta called Tx/Rx, & I
                    > played a place called
                    > Eddie's Attic a lot with my solo acoustic act (look up
                    > Eddie's, it's got a
                    > rich history including John Mayer). & when I got back
                    > I got my band back
                    > together, including Jay from CZ & a new drummer.
                    > We're electric now, with a
                    > full drum kit. Much different sound.
                    > www.myspace. com/orangeconesm usic
                    > Yeah, we're called Orange Cones, & we just recorded
                    > a 10-song 'demo' which
                    > is becoming more of an album with all the time it's
                    > taking for mixing &
                    > mastering. Recorded it in July. It's still not done.
                    >
                    > I'm still working for Therapak, got a couple more
                    > promotions (Purchasing
                    > Supervisor, tyvm) & I'm approaching 7 years with
                    > the company.
                    > A big part of my life in recent years has been worrying
                    > (bitching) about my
                    > brother, who is very not capable. Everyone in the family
                    > has tried to help
                    > him out over the years, help him get on his feet, on stable
                    > ground. None of
                    > our efforts have amounted to any real success. I do
                    > believe he's just
                    > rented a house in Pasadena where he will live with his
                    > girlfriend (don't
                    > call her that in front of him!) & our grandmother, who
                    > is 95. She's paying,
                    > of course. I can't imagine how (...) that will go.
                    > But anyway, I'm happily married, I have a steady job,
                    > & my band is looking
                    > promising. Things are good for me.
                    > I hope to hear similarly from my listers.

                  • Adry V
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 26, 2008
                      I watch a little TV, but we don't have cable so I can't watch It's Always Sunny...  Just the crappy network stuff.

                      From: fire drake <feuerdraache@ <mailto:feuerdraach e%40yahoo. com>
                      yahoo.com>
                      To: broccoli@yahoogroup <mailto:broccoli% 40yahoogroups. com> s.com
                      Date: Monday, September 22, 2008, 12:42 PM