Re: [british_insects] re: Hoverfly id

  • Andy Banthorpe
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      Matt,
      Thanks very much for your comments - I will have to ignore female
      Sphaerophoria I think in future and hunt for the males!! By the way, what do
      I look for on the front view of Tenax to id it??

      Regards

      Andy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
        Andy

        Eristalis tenax keys out on couplet 1 of the Eristalis key - "Face with
        black central stripe very wide, max one third width (of face between eyes).
        All other Eristalis have "face stripe narrower or or absent", hence a look
        head on will confirm the id.

        If you are into hoverflies I can recommend the new edition of 'British
        Hoverflies' by A. Stubbs & S.Falk, published by BENHS. This has keys to
        all of the UK species. Also, there is a dedicated hoverfly list om Yahoo,
        look for UK-hoverflies.