ID Help Required

  • Brian Price
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
      Hi All

      Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
      Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:

      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg

      TIA

      Brian

      www.secalis.co.uk
    • Stuart Hine
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
        Well not strictly an insect Brian, too many legs - its a crustacean. This is the Pill Woodlouse, Armadillium vulgare. Its a good looking Woodlice as Woodlice go.

        ATB,

        Stuart

        On 10 Apr 2012, at 17:59, "Brian Price" <brian@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
        > Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:
        >
        > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg
        >
        > TIA
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > www.secalis.co.uk

      • morgaston
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
          It's an Armadillidium vulgare ( Common pill woodlouse )

          so, not an insect but a terrestial crustacean, In the group Isopoda.

          ATB

          Keith

        • gordonjarvis@rocketmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
            Hello Brian,

            Not an insect but a woodlouse possibly

            'armadillidium vulgare' Common pill woodlouse

            Gordon

            --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Price" <brian@...> wrote:

            > Hi All
            >
            > Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
            > Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:
            >
            > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg
            >
            > TIA
            >
            > Brian
            >
            > www.secalis.co.uk

          • Brian Price
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2012
              Thank you all for your help. I've been reading up on woodlice, they are
              certainly interesting creatures.

              No doubt I'll be back for more help soon.

              Brian

              > It's an Armadillidium vulgare ( Common pill woodlouse )
              >
              > so, not an insect but a terrestial crustacean, In the group Isopoda.
              >
              > ATB
              >
              > Keith
              >
              > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Price" <brian@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi All
              >>
              >> Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
              >> Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:
              >>
              >> http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg
              >>
              >> TIA
              >>
              >> Brian
              >>
              >> www.secalis.co.uk

              18:34:00
            • Brian Price
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                I can't find this hoverfly in my books, can anyone help?

                http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C098.jpg

                Taken today (Monday) at Rye Meads RSPB reserve in Hertfordshire. It was
                quite nice when the sun came out, I was very happy with this shot of a
                Bee-fly at a Dandylion flower:

                http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C099.jpg

                TIA

                Brian
              • Ian Andrews

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 17, 2012
                    Thanks, Ian

                    The reason I couldn't find it was that the last two pages of my copy of
                    Stubbs were stuck together - doohh!

                    Brian

                    > It's an Anasimyia, but not sure of the species. ian
                    > To: british_insects@yahoogroups.com
                    > From: brian@...
                    > Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:12:58 +0100
                    > Subject: [british_insects] Help with Hoverfly

                    > I can't find this hoverfly in my books, can anyone help?
                    >

                    > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C098.jpg
                    >

                    > Taken today (Monday) at Rye Meads RSPB reserve in Hertfordshire. It was
                    >
                    > quite nice when the sun came out, I was very happy with this shot of a
                    >
                    > Bee-fly at a Dandylion flower:
                    >

                    > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C099.jpg
                    >

                    > TIA
                    >

                    > Brian

                    18:34:00
                  • Brian Price
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 19, 2012
                      Hi

                      I'm going through my old photos, and I need the usual help with this
                      hoverfly, photographed in August 2010 at The London Wetland Centre.

                      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1008_B012.jpg

                      TIA

                      Brian
                    • Philippe Moniotte