Some id help please

  • naughtymoose@talk21.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2011
      Hi

      I have two pictures in a file labelled 'Bradwell' in my Picasa page.

      Could you help with identification please?

      The inect was approx 3mm long.  Location was the Bradwell on Sea Essex Wildlife
      Reserve, on the sea wall.

      The first picture gives some idea of size; the second is a poor close-up.

      Many thanks

      Colin 'naughtymoose' Brodie

      Picasa Web Album is at https://picasaweb.google.com/100127828024718301001

      Save the whale; just don't forget all the other stuff!

    • gordonjarvis@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 11, 2011
        Hello

        You could try 'Sphaeroderma testaceum' although I believe it is difficult to Id to species level from a photo.

        Gorse Shield Bug (Piezodorus lituratus) Noak Bridge NR, 29th May 2011 is I think you will find Dolycoris baccarum the following group has some good pics.

        Unidentified Hover Fly #1 at Noak Bridge NR 19/08/11 is Myathropa florea

        Unidentified Hover Fly #2 at Noak Bridge NR 19/08/11 is a Volucella species.
        http://www.hoverfly.org.uk/ has some good pics

        Regards
        Gordon

        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, naughtymoose@... wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have two pictures in a file labelled 'Bradwell' in my Picasa page.
        >
        > Could you help with identification please?
        >
        > The inect was approx 3mm long.  Location was the Bradwell on Sea Essex Wildlife
        > Reserve, on the sea wall.
        >
        > The first picture gives some idea of size; the second is a poor close-up.
        >
        > Many thanks
        >
        > Colin 'naughtymoose' Brodie
        >
        > Picasa Web Album is at https://picasaweb.google.com/100127828024718301001
        >
        > Save the whale; just don't forget all the other stuff!

      • Stuart
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 11, 2011
          The large green fly might be Gymnocheta viridis, a tachinid fly. The shot is too distant for a confident id, but I think I can see a shadow of the long abdominal spines.

          Stuart

          --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, naughtymoose@... wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I have two pictures in a file labelled 'Bradwell' in my Picasa page.
          >
          > Could you help with identification please?
          >
          > The inect was approx 3mm long.  Location was the Bradwell on Sea Essex Wildlife
          > Reserve, on the sea wall.
          >
          > The first picture gives some idea of size; the second is a poor close-up.
          >
          > Many thanks
          >
          > Colin 'naughtymoose' Brodie
          >
          > Picasa Web Album is at https://picasaweb.google.com/100127828024718301001
          >
          > Save the whale; just don't forget all the other stuff!

        • colin_naughtymoose
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 11, 2011
            Many thanks to Stuart and Gordon for their id assistance.

            Gordon's links are particularly helpful!

            Colin

            --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, naughtymoose@... wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I have two pictures in a file labelled 'Bradwell' in my Picasa page.
            >
            > Could you help with identification please?
            >
            > The inect was approx 3mm long.  Location was the Bradwell on Sea Essex Wildlife
            > Reserve, on the sea wall.
            >
            > The first picture gives some idea of size; the second is a poor close-up.
            >
            > Many thanks
            >
            > Colin 'naughtymoose' Brodie
            >
            > Picasa Web Album is at https://picasaweb.google.com/100127828024718301001
            >
            > Save the whale; just don't forget all the other stuff!

          • Matt Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 11, 2011
              Definately not Gymnocheta, head is all wrong.

              Matt

              Tachind Recording Scheme.

              The large green fly might be Gymnocheta viridis, a tachinid fly. The shot is too distant for a confident id, but I think I can see a shadow of the long abdominal spines.

              Stuart

              --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, naughtymoose@... wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > I have two pictures in a file labelled 'Bradwell' in my Picasa page.
              >
              > Could you help with identification please?
              >
              > The inect was approx 3mm long.  Location was the Bradwell on Sea Essex Wildlife
              > Reserve, on the sea wall.
              >
              > The first picture gives some idea of size; the second is a poor close-up.
              >
              > Many thanks
              >
              > Colin 'naughtymoose' Brodie
              >
              > Picasa Web Album is at https://picasaweb.google.com/100127828024718301001
              >
              > Save the whale; just don't forget all the other stuff!

            • Brian Price
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
                Hi All

                Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
                Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:

                http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg

                TIA

                Brian

                www.secalis.co.uk
              • Stuart Hine
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
                  Well not strictly an insect Brian, too many legs - its a crustacean. This is the Pill Woodlouse, Armadillium vulgare. Its a good looking Woodlice as Woodlice go.

                  ATB,

                  Stuart

                  On 10 Apr 2012, at 17:59, "Brian Price" <brian@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All
                  >
                  > Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
                  > Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:
                  >
                  > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg
                  >
                  > TIA
                  >
                  > Brian
                  >
                  > www.secalis.co.uk

                • morgaston
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
                    It's an Armadillidium vulgare ( Common pill woodlouse )

                    so, not an insect but a terrestial crustacean, In the group Isopoda.

                    ATB

                    Keith

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 10, 2012
                      Hello Brian,

                      Not an insect but a woodlouse possibly

                      'armadillidium vulgare' Common pill woodlouse

                      Gordon

                      --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Price" <brian@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All
                      >
                      > Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
                      > Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:
                      >
                      > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg
                      >
                      > TIA
                      >
                      > Brian
                      >
                      > www.secalis.co.uk

                    • Brian Price
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 11, 2012
                        Thank you all for your help. I've been reading up on woodlice, they are
                        certainly interesting creatures.

                        No doubt I'll be back for more help soon.

                        Brian

                        > It's an Armadillidium vulgare ( Common pill woodlouse )
                        >
                        > so, not an insect but a terrestial crustacean, In the group Isopoda.
                        >
                        > ATB
                        >
                        > Keith
                        >
                        > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Price" <brian@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hi All
                        >>
                        >> Virtually the first insect pic of the year, and the usual help required:
                        >> Taken at The London Wetland Centre, about 12mm long:
                        >>
                        >> http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_B031.jpg
                        >>
                        >> TIA
                        >>
                        >> Brian
                        >>
                        >> www.secalis.co.uk

                        18:34:00
                      • Brian Price
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 16, 2012
                          I can't find this hoverfly in my books, can anyone help?

                          http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C098.jpg

                          Taken today (Monday) at Rye Meads RSPB reserve in Hertfordshire. It was
                          quite nice when the sun came out, I was very happy with this shot of a
                          Bee-fly at a Dandylion flower:

                          http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C099.jpg

                          TIA

                          Brian
                        • Ian Andrews

                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 17, 2012
                              Thanks, Ian

                              The reason I couldn't find it was that the last two pages of my copy of
                              Stubbs were stuck together - doohh!

                              Brian

                              > It's an Anasimyia, but not sure of the species. ian
                              > To: british_insects@yahoogroups.com
                              > From: brian@...
                              > Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:12:58 +0100
                              > Subject: [british_insects] Help with Hoverfly

                              > I can't find this hoverfly in my books, can anyone help?
                              >

                              > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C098.jpg
                              >

                              > Taken today (Monday) at Rye Meads RSPB reserve in Hertfordshire. It was
                              >
                              > quite nice when the sun came out, I was very happy with this shot of a
                              >
                              > Bee-fly at a Dandylion flower:
                              >

                              > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1204_C099.jpg
                              >

                              > TIA
                              >

                              > Brian

                              18:34:00
                            • Brian Price
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 19, 2012
                                Hi

                                I'm going through my old photos, and I need the usual help with this
                                hoverfly, photographed in August 2010 at The London Wetland Centre.

                                http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1008_B012.jpg

                                TIA

                                Brian
                              • Philippe Moniotte