Mill Hill Blues

  • Andy Horton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2010
      Hello,

      What a difference a day makes: the half acre top meadow (north of the upper
      car park) on Mill Hill (north of Old Shoreham, Sussex) was still alive with
      butterflies, but the half acre now hosted only about a 120 Common Blues, but
      they may have dispersed as surrounding meadow areas were now more densely
      populated so the total on the hill does not seem to have diminished in
      numbers. Brown Argus were plentiful as I ever seen them with at least 30
      positively recorded and many more did a successful imitation of a Common
      Blue female.

      With the sun finding a gap in the clouds there were reasonably good
      conditions for butterfly watching on the parched downs. I was not in the
      mood for recording the numbers, but I noted that the Chalkhill Blues on the
      lower slopes of Mill Hill were slightly less than the previous day, but only
      64 were recorded in the 20 minutes walk on the 1.2 acre transect, which
      included just the five definite females. In the weak sunshine, I spotted
      fourteen Wall Browns seen on Mill Hill and my first Small Copper on Mill
      Hill this year.

      Adur Butterfly & Large Moth List
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterfly-list2010.html

      Cheers