Re: ID help with five

  • morgaston
    Message 1 of 12 , May 31 11:58 AM
      1)Yes it`s a soldier beetle- don`t know to species though
      .
      2)Is a male Azure
      .
      3)Is a female Azure

      --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brian@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > The usual help is required for the following pics:
      >
      > Is this a soldier beetle (Cantharidae), possibly Cantharis livida?
      > pic 1: http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1005_D074.jpg
      >
      > Is this OK for Azure damselfly?
      > pic 2: http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1005_B027.jpg
      >
      > and this damselfly?
      > pic 3: http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1005_B018.jpg
      >
      > No idea about this fly - is it a sawfly?:
      > pic 4: http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1005_D019.jpg
      >
      > and this one?:
      > pic 5: http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1005_D094.jpg
      >
      > Your comments are appreciated, as usual.
      >
      > Brian

    • skullotine
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
        Well done Amanda. It's good to hear of someone else going so far out of their way to help a creature to which the majority of people wouldn't have given a second thought. Makes me question my own sanity a little less!

        Mike

        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "amanda" <amanda@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone, April and May everything just seems to come to life again doesn't it? If you get a chance to look in Amandas album please do and if you can provide any information I will be grateful. I have 3 things I'd like to know more about The Struggling Bee is the first:
        > Have a read of the story behind the bee in the first 3 pictures.
        > Pics 1&2
        > I spotted this bee walking across my slate chippings last week, he kept falling over then really struggling to get back on his feet, there was a mound of things each smaller than this dot . , on its back and spreading under his wings right underneath its front legs. Looking through a magnifying glass I could see these little dot things were all moving.
        > I presumed the bee wasn't happy with the situation and decided to try and remove them by brushing them off with a tiny paint brush but they seemed to cling on for dear life, in the end I gave it about 20 baths and using fine tweezers, the paint brush and a frayed bit of ornamental grass as a comb, nearly 2hours later I'd managed to remove most of them as shown in PIC 3.
        > I placed him on the ornamental grass plant to dry out and over the next 45 mins kept checking on him but he hadn't moved, I started to feel sad that he probably wouldn't make it now after all I'd put him through and perhaps I shouldn't have interferred with nature then it dawned on me he's probably hungry so I placed him on some flowers in my hanging basket and straight away he was in the middle of a flower supping up the nectar, flitting from one tiny flower to the next. I felt better to think that now he's feeding he'll probably survive.
        > I forgot about him for a about an hour and was busy indoors then I went to check on him as I approached the hanging basket there was no sign of him then all of a sudden a bee flew over my fence and landed in the basket and I couldn't believe it, it was the same bee, I was so happy to see him doing what bees do, I like to think he came back to say 'Hey look at me, I can fly again now thanx to you'
        >
        > If anyone could tell me what they were likely to have been? Was I right or wrong doing what I done? Any comments feel free to reply.
        > Cheers
        > Mandy

      • Mandy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
          Mike thank you for your response and I did chuckle when I read your last sentence about sanity because all the time I was doing it I kept thinking I hope the neighbours can't see what I'm doing cos they'll have the men in white coats knocking at my door!
          Mad or not it made me happy that he could fly away at the end of his ordeal.
          Regards
          Amanda

          ________________________________
          Well done Amanda. It's good to hear of someone else going so far out of their way to help a creature to which the majority of people wouldn't have given a second thought. Makes me question my own sanity a little less!

          Mike

          --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "amanda" <amanda@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone, April and May everything just seems to come to life again doesn't it? If you get a chance to look in Amandas album please do and if you can provide any information I will be grateful. I have 3 things I'd like to know more about The Struggling Bee is the first:
          > Have a read of the story behind the bee in the first 3 pictures.
          > Pics 1&2
          > I spotted this bee walking across my slate chippings last week, he kept falling over then really struggling to get back on his feet, there was a mound of things each smaller than this dot . , on its back and spreading under his wings right underneath its front legs. Looking through a magnifying glass I could see these little dot things were all moving.
          > I presumed the bee wasn't happy with the situation and decided to try and remove them by brushing them off with a tiny paint brush but they seemed to cling on for dear life, in the end I gave it about 20 baths and using fine tweezers, the paint brush and a frayed bit of ornamental grass as a comb, nearly 2hours later I'd managed to remove most of them as shown in PIC 3.
          > I placed him on the ornamental grass plant to dry out and over the next 45 mins kept checking on him but he hadn't moved, I started to feel sad that he probably wouldn't make it now after all I'd put him through and perhaps I shouldn't have interferred with nature then it dawned on me he's probably hungry so I placed him on some flowers in my hanging basket and straight away he was in the middle of a flower supping up the nectar, flitting from one tiny flower to the next. I felt better to think that now he's feeding he'll probably survive.
          > I forgot about him for a about an hour and was busy indoors then I went to check on him as I approached the hanging basket there was no sign of him then all of a sudden a bee flew over my fence and landed in the basket and I couldn't believe it, it was the same bee, I was so happy to see him doing what bees do, I like to think he came back to say 'Hey look at me, I can fly again now thanx to you'
          >
          > If anyone could tell me what they were likely to have been? Was I right or wrong doing what I done? Any comments feel free to reply.
          > Cheers
          > Mandy

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
            From: "ecf82"
            Subject: [british_insects] Re: ID help with five

            >2 is a male Azure Damselfly
            >
            > 3 is probably a female of the same species
            >
            > 5 Another vote for the Hoverfly, a male Criorhina floccosa
            >
            > Chris W.

            Hi
            Thanks to everyone who helped me with the IDs. I finally managed to retire
            in April, so there will be more to come (given good weather).

            Brian