Bumblebee common names

  • Andy Banthorpe yahoo
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2010
      Hi all,
      A quick question. Is there a definitive list of common names for the
      Bumblebees, Cuckoo Bees and Carder Bees?

      Some names appear to vary depending upon what source you look at, for
      example Bombus lapidarius is sometimes referred to as Red-tailed Bumblebee
      but on Mapmate is Large Red Tailed Bumble Bee.

      Should the correct common names use Bumblebee or Bumble Bee?

      These questions come from an annual report that my wife is editing wherein
      the scientific names are used throughout but in the species checklist the
      common names are also used.

      Cheers

      Andy B
    • Richard J Moore
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2010
        or indeed Humble Bee etc ..

        Answer No: vernacular names are by definition imprecise and subject to
        local variations.

        Richard

        |------------>
        | From: |
        |------------>
        |"Andy Banthorpe yahoo" <andybanthorpe@...> |
        |------------>
        | To: |
        |------------>
        |"British Insects" <british_insects@yahoogroups.com> |
        |------------>
        | Date: |
        |------------>
        |09/05/2010 23:05 |
        |------------>
        | Subject: |
        |------------>
        |[british_insects] Bumblebee common names |
        |------------>
        | Sent by: |
        |------------>
        |british_insects@yahoogroups.com |

        Hi all,
        A quick question. Is there a definitive list of common names for the
        Bumblebees, Cuckoo Bees and Carder Bees?

        Some names appear to vary depending upon what source you look at, for
        example Bombus lapidarius is sometimes referred to as Red-tailed Bumblebee
        but on Mapmate is Large Red Tailed Bumble Bee.

        Should the correct common names use Bumblebee or Bumble Bee?

        These questions come from an annual report that my wife is editing wherein
        the scientific names are used throughout but in the species checklist the
        common names are also used.

        Cheers

        Andy B
      • Andrew Stagg
        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2010
          Has anyone got any idea what they eat - I have a few that the kids would love to see through to adulthood - currently in box with soil and woodshavings.
          Thanks
          Andrew

        • cipeen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20, 2010
            --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Stagg <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone got any idea what they eat - I have a few that the kids would love to see through to adulthood - currently in box with soil and woodshavings.

            The following book:

            http://books.google.ie/books?id=c0k6wARxF9QC&pg=PA121&lpg=PA121&dq=melolontha+artificial+diet&source=bl&ots=TV4YXnQMMI&sig=KkBo6xHRGKZvlLhubw2iapOH7ZI&hl=en&ei=Hhf1S__oFoju0gS97ui2Cg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFIQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=melolontha%20artificial%20diet&f=false

            Specifies Dandelion roots. You'll have a couple of years to wait....;)

            Stuart

            www.donegal-wildlife.blogspot.com
          • Andrew Stagg
            Message 5 of 5 , May 21, 2010
              Thank you Stuart,

              I Have also found out they like potatoes too - I'll see how they get on.

              Andrew