Strange Holly Blue

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15, 2010
      Hi

      I had the first real 'insect' day of the year at Rainham Marsh RSPB reserve
      in Essex today -
      2 Small White
      4 Peacock
      1 Speckled Wood
      2 7-spot Ladybirds
      5 assorted Bumble-bees
      40+ bee-flies Bombylius major - more than I've ever seen in one place
      before.

      There was also a Holly Blue with an un-developed hind wing, or an extra
      wing - see

      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_B031.jpg and

      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_B031-2.jpg

      Has anyone seen this before?

      Brian Price
    • Thomas Stevenson
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2010
        An odd sight today: A small bumble bee was busy on Red Deadnettle when a Bee Fly appeared hovering about 10cm from the Bee. It then darted in hitting the Bumble Bee knocking it off the flower. This happened about 6 or 8 times before the Fly moved off and probed another flower a metre away from the bee for nectar. Sorry I cant be more precise about the species as I am not an expert. it may well be that this is common behaviour but I would be interested in comments?

        Tom

      • Andrew Stagg
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 16, 2010
          Brian,
          It appears that your holly blue has failed to expand its hind wing properly. Quite a common occurrence on captive specimens of all species - often suggests a lack of humidity during emergence.
          Andrew

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20, 2010
            Hi all

            Can anyone help me with this small beetle, shot at Rainham Marsh RSPB last
            week.

            http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_B011.jpg

            The closest I can get in my books is Cantharsis livida, but I'm usually
            wrong.
            By the way, what is the scientific name for the knobbly bits on the
            antennae?

            TIA

            Brian
          • Philippe Moniotte
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 20, 2010
              >Its a Cereal Leaf Beetle, Oulema melanopus.
              Cheers
              Philippe

              Le 20-avr.-10 à 19:18, Brian a écrit :

              > Hi all
              >
              > Can anyone help me with this small beetle, shot at Rainham Marsh
              > RSPB last
              > week.
              >
              > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_B011.jpg
              >
              > The closest I can get in my books is Cantharsis livida, but I'm
              > usually
              > wrong.
              > By the way, what is the scientific name for the knobbly bits on the
              > antennae?
              >
              > TIA
              >
              > Brian

              > too many emails are clogging up your inbox!
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Steve Covey
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 20, 2010
                Hi Brian,
                the antennae are made up of a number of segments and depending upon the shape of each individual segment the anntenae look either smooth or knobbly. The first segment [nearest the head] is called the 'scape' and is quite often longer than the others. The second is much shorter and is called the 'pedicel'; the rest together is called the 'flagellum'. Some species have very long scapes with the rest of the antenna hinging on this [such as the ants]. This type of antenna is called 'elbowed' or 'geniculate'.
                HTH.
                Cheers,

                Steve [VC7/8]
                http://www.wiltshiredragonflies.org
                http://www.wildlife-galleries.co.uk/gallery2/main.php
                http://wiltshire-dragonfly-news.blogspot.com/
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/od0man/

                This mail is a natural product. The
                slight variation in spelling and
                grammar enhance its individual
                character and beauty and in no
                way are to be considered flaws
                or defects.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 20, 2010
                  From: "Philippe Moniotte"

                  >Its a Cereal Leaf Beetle, Oulema melanopus.
                  Cheers
                  Philippe

                  Le 20-avr.-10 à 19:18, Brian a écrit :

                  > Hi all
                  >
                  > Can anyone help me with this small beetle, shot at Rainham Marsh
                  > RSPB last
                  > week.
                  >
                  > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_B011.jpg

                  Philippe, thank you for the ID, much appreciated.
                  And thanks to Steve for the antennae info. I'd come accross most the terms
                  before without knowing exactly what they meant.

                  Brian
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 21, 2010
                    I had a conversation with my mother about this exact same behaviour just last week. Turned out she was describing female & male Anthophora plumipes - the females look quite like small Bombus lapidarius (red-tailed bumblebee) and the males look like the carder bee Bombus pascuorum but behave in a similar manner to a bee-fly in that they dart about much quicker than most bees.

                    Hope that helps?

                    --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Stevenson" <thomas.stevenson@...> wrote:

                    > An odd sight today: A small bumble bee was busy on Red Deadnettle when a Bee Fly appeared hovering about 10cm from the Bee. It then darted in hitting the Bumble Bee knocking it off the flower. This happened about 6 or 8 times before the Fly moved off and probed another flower a metre away from the bee for nectar. Sorry I cant be more precise about the species as I am not an expert. it may well be that this is common behaviour but I would be interested in comments?
                    >
                    > Tom

                  • Brian
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 28, 2010
                      Hi
                      Help required for two more I photographed yesterday in the Lea Valley NNR at
                      Cheshunt. I've made a new years resolution to try and ID everything before I
                      ask for help, no matter how often I'm wrong, so here goes:
                      Could this hoverfly, which appeared to be chasing a Carder Bee, be
                      Criorhina asilica?
                      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D004.jpg
                      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D005.jpg

                      and is this beetle Grammoptera ruficornis?

                      http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D013.jpg

                      Your help is much appreciated.

                      Brian
                    • Philippe Moniotte
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 28, 2010
                        The beetle is Phytoecia cylindrica, which , I believe, is considered
                        as a rarity. However, I just saw one here in Belgium today, so that
                        perhaps it's a very favorable year for them (never seen it before).
                        I'd say the bee is a male Andrena sp., but, as they are all very much
                        alike, I wouldn't go further than that...
                        Cheers
                        Philippe
                        www.entomopix.eu

                        Le 28-avr.-10 à 16:27, Brian a écrit :

                        > Hi
                        > Help required for two more I photographed yesterday in the Lea
                        > Valley NNR at
                        > Cheshunt. I've made a new years resolution to try and ID everything
                        > before I
                        > ask for help, no matter how often I'm wrong, so here goes:
                        > Could this hoverfly, which appeared to be chasing a Carder Bee, be
                        > Criorhina asilica?
                        > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D004.jpg
                        > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D005.jpg
                        >
                        > and is this beetle Grammoptera ruficornis?
                        >
                        > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D013.jpg
                        >
                        > Your help is much appreciated.
                        >
                        > Brian

                        > too many emails are clogging up your inbox!
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Alan Phillips
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 28, 2010
                          Brian, Your 'hoverfly' is a male Andrena sp. and the bumble probably B. pratorum.

                          Alan

                          --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <brian@...> wrote:

                          > Hi
                          > Help required for two more I photographed yesterday in the Lea Valley NNR at
                          > Cheshunt. I've made a new years resolution to try and ID everything before I
                          > ask for help, no matter how often I'm wrong, so here goes:
                          > Could this hoverfly, which appeared to be chasing a Carder Bee, be
                          > Criorhina asilica?
                          > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D004.jpg
                          > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D005.jpg
                          >
                          > and is this beetle Grammoptera ruficornis?
                          >
                          > http://www.secalis.co.uk/Files/D1004_D013.jpg
                          >
                          > Your help is much appreciated.
                          >
                          > Brian

                        • Brian
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 29, 2010
                            From: "Philippe Moniotte"

                            The beetle is Phytoecia cylindrica, which , I believe, is considered
                            as a rarity. However, I just saw one here in Belgium today, so that
                            perhaps it's a very favorable year for them (never seen it before).
                            I'd say the bee is a male Andrena sp., but, as they are all very much
                            alike, I wouldn't go further than that...
                            Cheers
                            Philippe
                            www.entomopix.eu

                            Thanks, Phillippe and Alan.

                            Of course it was a bee, not a hoverfly - my insect brain isn't in gear yet
                            after the winter break :-)
                            I've come accross another recent report of P cylindrica in England, so as
                            you say it may be a good year for them. There were about 20+ of them when I
                            photographed mine.

                            Brian