Do you know your species?

  • Dan Richards
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi,
      Here at the British Science Association we're currently getting together plans for our UK-wide nationwide activity for National Science and Engineering Week 2010 entitled 'What on Earth?'. This is a call-to-action to the British public to go out into their gardens/local parks/hedgerows and rediscover their natural surroundings with a fresh pair of eyes and a camera!
      We'll be encouraging them to send in their photos of unusual plants and animals that people don't recognise to the new What on Earth? Website (under development…). We're creating a gallery where people can 'tag' the photo with the species name and where it was found to plot them on a UK-wide map to help raise awarness of the amount of biodiversity across our little island, and maybe even spot something rather unusual! We're working with a PR company to promote this to the public and are aiming for a few thousand photos… finding somewhere to send the data to at the end of the project is in the pipeline so it doesn't get wasted.
      We're taking care of getting the public involved, but we need an army of experts to join in the community-led project to help identity as many plants and animals as we can in the run up to National Science and Engineering Week in March. We'll likely be keeping the project live until our British Science Festival in September. Everyone who sends in a photo will be sent a free packet of seeds for their garden to help provide friendly habitats for our native species (subject to availability).
      Do you know your taxonomy?
      If you can answer yes to this question and would like to get involved then please let me know! We're launching the project in January and you can take as much or as little time as you like. Its all online so you won't even have to leave your desk… just peruse our gallery and tag anything you recognise - a very easy way to participate in National Science and Engineering Week 2010 and help raise awareness of biodiversity issues to the British public.
      Please pass this onto any friends or colleagues who might be interested, or let me know if you have access to any newsletters or mailing lists as I'm trying to spread the word around the taxonomy community as much as possible.
      Your help would be much appreciated!
      Thanks
      Dan

      ________________________________
      The British Science Association is a charity that works with members, supporters and partners towards a shared vision of a society in which people are able to access science, engage with it and feel a sense of ownership about its direction. You can find us at www.britishscienceassociation.org <http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/> .

      Dan Richards
      National Science & Engineering Week Officer
      British Science Association

      Wellcome Wolfson Building
      165 Queen’s Gate
      London
      SW7 5HD
      T: 020 7019 4937
      F: 020 7581 6587
      E: dan.richards@...
      Website: www.britishscienceassociation.org <http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/>

      Follow us on Twitter @ScienceWeekUK

      British Science Association is the operating name and registered trademark of the British Association for the Advancement of Science

      Registered charity 212479 and SCO39236

    • Matt Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2009
        Perhaps it might be worth getting in touch with the Opal team at iSpot - url below - they are in the process of getting something very similar up (phot0s - id - mapping) and running at the moment, and already have some volunteers doing exactly what you are looking for.

        Matt

        http://ispot.org.uk/

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        E: dan.richards@ britishscienceas sociation. org
        Website: www.britishsciencea ssociation. org <http://www.britishs cienceassociatio n.org/>

        Follow us on Twitter @ScienceWeekUK

        British Science Association is the operating name and registered trademark of the British Association for the Advancement of Science

        Registered charity 212479 and SCO39236

        This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System on behalf of
        the British Science Association (http://www.britishs cienceassociatio n.org)

      • Sally Luker
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2009
          Dan,

          Unable to get a message to you directly, so now resorting to via the group.
          I would be more than happy to help out, and I believe the details have also
          been passed to the conservation/biological recording course manager at our
          local college.

          Glad Matt has mentioned iSpot - interestingly, my partner is currently
          actually having to use this as part of a degree assignment!

          Sally

          _____

          Perhaps it might be worth getting in touch with the Opal team at iSpot - url
          below - they are in the process of getting something very similar up (phot0s
          - id - mapping) and running at the moment, and already have some volunteers
          doing exactly what you are looking for.

          Matt

          http://ispot. <http://ispot.org.uk/> org.uk/

          --- On Wed, 2/12/09, Dan Richards <Dan.Richards@
          <mailto:Dan.Richards%40britishscienceassociation.org>

          From: Dan Richards <Dan.Richards@
          <mailto:Dan.Richards%40britishscienceassociation.org>
          britishscienceassociation.org>
          To: british_insects@ <mailto:british_insects%40yahoogroups.com>
          yahoogroups.com

            From: Dan Richards <Dan.Richards@
            <mailto:Dan.Richards%40britishscienceassociation.org>
            britishscienceassociation.org>
            To: british_insects@ <mailto:british_insects%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2009
              Dan,

              Firstly, apologies if duplicates eventually turn up - I'm having big Yahoo! Groups issues!!

              Unable to get a message to you directly (being returned as undeliverable), so now resorting to communicating via the group. I would be more than happy to help out, and I believe the details have also been passed to the conservation/biological recording course manager at our local college.

              Glad Matt has mentioned iSpot – interestingly, my partner is currently actually having to use this site as part of a degree assignment!

              Sally

              --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, Matt Smith <matsmith60@...> wrote:

              > Perhaps it might be worth getting in touch with the Opal team at iSpot - url below - they are in the process of getting something very similar up (phot0s - id - mapping) and running at the moment, and already have some volunteers doing exactly what you are looking for.
              >
              > Matt
              >

              > http://ispot.org.uk/

            • Stuart Roberts
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2009
                I have looked at a number of these "citizen science" schemes over the last few years and every one of them seems to make the same basic assumptions:

                a) That most species can be identified from photographs
                b) That there is an army of experts out there who have nothing better to do than look at other people's photos
                c) That the photographers will provide all the information that can be used to assist identification and create a genuine biological record

                As chairman of a National Recording Society I am very mindful that we should never presume on the time, expertise and goodwill of amateurs, and, believe me, determining stuff from photos is a very time consuming business with a relatively low hit rate

                It seems to me that this project is just attempting to re-invent the wheel that iSpot have been making these last couple of years

                Stuart
                -----------------------------------

                Stuart Roberts
                Chairman BWARS
                www.bwars.com

                _____

                From: Dan Richards <Dan.Richards@
                <mailto:Dan. Richards% 40britishscience association. org>
                britishscienceassoc iation.org>
                To: british_insects@ <mailto:british_ insects%40yahoog roups.com>
                yahoogroups. com

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
                  Hi all,
                  I agree with Stuart's comments, I used to spend quite a proportion of my time looking at various images or objects people have sent/brought to me for ID and realistically there is no way I could afford the time to do this any more (or I.D a large proportion of them).

                  He is certainly right about the difficulties of ID'ing specimens from photo's, in the insects generally and particularly in the his field (Hymenoptera).

                  I've now had several under-graduate students that have I.D'ed all the insects from their pitfall trapping etc to species, and when I asked what literature they've used, they say either "I didn't use a key, I looked in "Complete British Insects" or similar" or "I took pictures and asked on the internet".

                  I have had a look at "iSpot", and I'm going to take part in the "What on Earth week", but I'm going to use it as a platform to try to point people towards their local record centre and specialist groups (BWARS, BSBI etc.), so that there observations can be both validated and recorded.

                  cheers Darrel

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2009
                    Hi all,
                    I probably didn't make it too clear in my last email that one of the aims of What on Earth website is to use it as a springboard for the public to get involved in other recording centres and specialist groups. We're only a short term project to celebrate International Year of Biodiversity, but I really hope it can be used as a promotional tool for observing and recording wildlife in the long-term. We have so much here in the UK to appreciate and through many of our projects we're hoping to encourage people to take more notice of nature. We'll be putting alot of national promotion into our projects so hope this can benefit all the other societies that do this on a long-term basis.

                    Thanks
                    Dan

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 7, 2009
                      Hi all,
                      Thanks Dan and "here, here to that". I think biological recording needs all the friends and supporters it can get.
                      cheers Darrel