A strange hornet

  • colin_naughtymoose
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 9, 2009
      Hi folks. Last Friday at Hanningfield Reservoir in Essex, a couple of fellow birdwatchers and I saw a strange hornet. No pictures unfortunately, but I'll try to describe it:
      Approximately 40mm long, with an orangey-brown FURRY body.

      The 'hornet' appeared in front of the viewing window of a hide and gave us a nasty shock!

      Any thoughts on what it could have been?

      Many thanks,

      Colin
    • Philippe Moniotte
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2009
        Macroglossum stellatarum ??

        Philippe

      • naughtymoose@talk21.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2009
          Philippe, we agreed on-site that it was not a moth.  It was also 'buzzing'.

          Do hornets/wasps/bees (presumably they are of the same order) ever get 'dusty' with sand and such.

          It was so orange as to be remarkable.

          Colin

          ________________________________
          Le 09-oct.-09 à 21:22, colin_naughtymoose a écrit :

          > Hi folks. Last Friday at Hanningfield Reservoir in Essex, a couple
          > of fellow birdwatchers and I saw a strange hornet. No pictures
          > unfortunately, but I'll try to describe it:
          > Approximately 40mm long, with an orangey-brown FURRY body.
          >
          > The 'hornet' appeared in front of the viewing window of a hide and
          > gave us a nasty shock!
          >
          > Any thoughts on what it could have been?
          >
          > Many thanks,
          >
          > Colin

          > too many emails are clogging up your inbox!
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Malcolm Ogilvie
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2009
            That was my immediate reaction.

            Hummingbird Hawkmoth to those who don't remember scientific names!

            Malcolm

            In message <2133250C-7B17-4869-9C72-E94657F1B62D@...>, Philippe
            Moniotte <philippe.moniotte@...> writes
            >Macroglossum stellatarum ??
            >
            >Philippe
            >

            >Le 09-oct.-09 à 21:22, colin_naughtymoose a écrit :
            >
            >> Hi folks. Last Friday at Hanningfield Reservoir in Essex, a couple
            >> of fellow birdwatchers and I saw a strange hornet. No pictures
            >> unfortunately, but I'll try to describe it:
            >> Approximately 40mm long, with an orangey-brown FURRY body.
            >>
            >> The 'hornet' appeared in front of the viewing window of a hide and
            >> gave us a nasty shock!
            >>
            >> Any thoughts on what it could have been?
            >>
            >> Many thanks,
            >>
            >> Colin

            >> too many emails are clogging up your inbox!
            >>
            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            Malcolm Ogilvie, Isle of Islay
          • Bart van Herk
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 10, 2009
              If furry, i think it cannot have been a wasp or other hymenopteran.
              Some moths are large, hum and may even have clear or partially clear
              wings

              Bart van Herk

              (Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPod)

              Op 10 okt 2009 om 16:39 heeft Malcolm Ogilvie <malcolm@...>
              het volgende geschreven:\

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2009
                Maybe you did agree that, but now you have added that it made a noise
                that merely confirms me in my belief that it was a hummingbird hawkmoth.

                Have a look at some photos

                http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=2198
                http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1766
                http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1470
                http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1469

                The upperside of the hindwing and the underside of both wings is
                orangey.

                It is a migrant from France which occurs regularly in the UK, extending
                north into Scotland. This is not too late for them to be seen. There are
                often reports in the less serious newspapers about hummingbirds being
                seen, which also demonstrates that they don't look like a typical moth
                when in flight.

                Malcolm

                In message <417816.72202.qm@...>,
                naughtymoose@... writes
                >Philippe, we agreed on-site that it was not a moth.  It was also 'buzzing'.
                >
                >Do hornets/wasps/bees (presumably they are of the same order) ever get
                >'dusty' with sand and such.
                >
                >It was so orange as to be remarkable.
                >
                >Colin
                >

                >________________________________

              • Tim Strudwick
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 10, 2009
                  Two more ideas - hornets are hairy on the thorax though this is not usually obvious; if they are seen against the light (as when the sun is low) they can look furry and orange; I have also seen the thorax hairs full of what I assume is pollen (though it was white, rather than orange) - this certainly makes them appear covered in dense hairs.

                  Tim Strudwick

                  Maybe you did agree that, but now you have added that it made a noise
                  that merely confirms me in my belief that it was a hummingbird hawkmoth.

                  Have a look at some photos

                  http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=2198
                  http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1766
                  http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1470
                  http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1469

                  The upperside of the hindwing and the underside of both wings is
                  orangey.

                  It is a migrant from France which occurs regularly in the UK, extending
                  north into Scotland. This is not too late for them to be seen. There are
                  often reports in the less serious newspapers about hummingbirds being
                  seen, which also demonstrates that they don't look like a typical moth
                  when in flight.

                  Malcolm

                  In message <417816.72202.qm@...>,
                  naughtymoose@... writes
                  >Philippe, we agreed on-site that it was not a moth. It was also 'buzzing'.
                  >
                  >Do hornets/wasps/bees (presumably they are of the same order) ever get
                  >'dusty' with sand and such.
                  >
                  >It was so orange as to be remarkable.
                  >
                  >Colin

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2009
                    Could it have been the hoverfly Volucella zonaria? They are quite a convincing hornet mimic active in late summer.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 11, 2009
                      Thanks for your input chaps. I will be conferring with my pals during mid-week, and will hope to have some further input then. Tim's comment about the pollen is interesting- we were sure that it was a hornet, so maybe pollen was involved. I may see if I can get back to the site to investigate during the week.

                      Many thanks,

                      Colin