Two more "first of the year" butterflies for Shoreham, Sussex

  • Andy Horton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6 10:46 AM
      Hello,

      Two further butterflies put in their first appearances of the year: a single
      Speckled Wood in the copse on top of Mill Hill, and a male Orange-tip
      Butterfly over the verges of Waterworks Road. My first trek was to the lower
      slopes of Mill Hill where five Peacock Butterflies were seen, and one,
      possibly two Grizzled Skippers at the northern end. A Large White Butterfly
      flew over the Dovecote Estate, north Shoreham, and a few Small Whites were
      seen in town. In the early afternoon, I made a passage visit to the
      Waterworks Road, Old Shoreham, where a handful of Green-veined White
      Butterflies were seen immediately together with a Brimstone Butterfly and a
      Comma Butterfly as well as the already mentioned Orange-tip. Further Peacock
      Butterflies were seen during the day on the outskirts of Shoreham.

      Nine species

      Adur Butterfly Flight Times
      http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Butterflies1X2007.htm

      First Adur Butterfly Dates 2003 to 2009