Micro Manipulators

  • Alan Hadley
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2008
      Until now I have used fine pins in needle holders for moving things
      around under the microscope. I even managed to put a small hook on
      the point of a pin, this proved to be a very useful tool.

      Inspired by a recent post I am going to try making some different
      tools. I have found two problems with mounted pins, one if you are
      not careful the springyness in the pin can cause parts to be
      caterpulted into space, and small things tend to stick to pins, I am
      talking about working on tiny dry objects here.

      I had a thought this morning, could I use fine fishing line instead
      of pins, so I tried it. It seems to work well for replacing strait
      pins, things don't seem to stick to the line so easily, and the give
      in the line means you can press and make it lay flat thus holding
      parts down without too much pressure. Has anyone else tried
      alternatives to micro pins?

      My next challange is to make the 'Y' shaped manipulators suggested in
      the earlier post. I will try both pins and fishing line and compare
      the two.

      That should take care of holding things down, the next chalange after
      that is to pick things up, a hook could be used to move things.
      Tweezers are just too big and clumsy. Are there any simple designs
      out there. I thought of something like a 'Pearl Catcher'. A bunch
      of two or three springy pins etc. inside a sleeve. The pins tend to
      bend outwards when they protrude a long way from the end of the
      sleeve, thus opening the catcher. When the pins are drawn into the
      sleeve, or the sleeve is pushed forward over the pins, the tips of
      the pins come together as the length protruding from the sleeve gets
      shorter. I can envisage squeezing a trigger on the handle of the
      tool to open and close the minute jaws.

      After that there are miniature knives and scissors to think about.

      Alan