Re: Sawfly and ugly duckling larvae query

  • rh_chelt
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2007
      Thanks for your suggestion Alan - I put the larva on top of a container
      of garden compost yesterday and it very quickly disppeared from view.
      Perhaps something recognisable will emerge in the future.

      Regards

      Robert

      --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Hadley" <alan@...> wrote:

      > Robert I have found larvae that look like your last picture in leaf
      litter, I suspect they are fly larvae but am not sure.

      > They seem to cover themselves with soil particles but I did manage to
      find a relatively clean one and photograph some of the body parts in
      more detail. When you look close up they are odd to say the least.
      My pictures are here

      > http://www.micropics.org.uk/Diptera/3/diptera%203.htm
      >
      > Alan

    • Keith Edkins
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2007
        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "rh_chelt" <theapiary@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello
        >
        > I would be grateful for some help in identifying these 2 larvae.
        >
        > The first is, I think, a sawfly and was found on a fallen
        > black/balsam poplar twig on Tuesday and has since been feeding on
        > poplar by eating holes through the leaf. It is approx 12mm in
        length
        > and the orange colour at each end is a little more yellow in tone.

        Googling "Poplar sawfly" comes up with:

        Nematus melanaspis (Gregarious poplar sawfly)
        Pale green apart from orange 2nd and last two segments
        Tubercles below three black lines
        19mm long
        Larvae skeletonise leaves in early season, later eating chunks out
        of leaves

        Sounds like the one to me.

        Keith
      • rh_chelt
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2007
          Many thanks Keith - that does indeed sound right.

          Regards

          Robert

          --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Edkins"