Re: Caterpillar Id required

  • Philippe Moniotte
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi Chas
      It looks very much like Cimbex, I think, and it is not C. femoratus.
      That leaves us with Cimbex luteus, and its the right color too.

      Best wishes
      Philippe
      --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "chasmacey" <chasmacey@...>
      wrote:

      > Andy and Steve,
      >
      > Thanks to you both I hadn't realised that sawfly larva got to
      > that size, i will do a little more research and if I get nowhere
      > will certainly post it there.
      >
      > Thanks again for your assistance.
      >

      > Regards Chas
      >
      > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, Steve Covey <od0man@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Chas,
      > > I think you have a sawfly larva there. The larvae of some of the
      > larger sawflies can easily attain 25-30mm in length.
      > > Try posting your query to the sawfly yahoo group.
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Steve [VC7/8]
      > > http://www.wiltshiredragonflies.org.uk/
      > > This mail is a natural product. The
      > > slight variation in spelling and
      > > grammar enhance its individual
      > > character and beauty and in no
      > > way are to be considered flaws
      > > or defects.

    • John Coldwell
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi,

        Probably worth checking web for images of Trichiosoma larvae.

        Cheers,

        John

        Hot new product - Spider Networks introduces stunning online ePortfolio solution for students and teachers

        http://www.spider-networks.net/solutions/eportfolio.html
      • Chas Macey
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2006
          Hi Philippe,

          Thank you for this but I am now a little confused, since raising on
          this list I raised it on the sawfly group and the discussion there seems to
          revolve around Trichiosoma and checking the web for Cimbex luteus and all
          the images seem to show an orange larva where as this is white ?

          Regards Chas

          On 10/2/06, Philippe Moniotte <philippe.moniotte@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chas
          > It looks very much like Cimbex, I think, and it is not C. femoratus.
          > That leaves us with Cimbex luteus, and its the right color too.
          >
          > Best wishes
          > Philippe
          > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com <british_insects%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "chasmacey" <chasmacey@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Andy and Steve,
          > >
          > > Thanks to you both I hadn't realised that sawfly larva got to
          > > that size, i will do a little more research and if I get nowhere
          > > will certainly post it there.
          > >
          > > Thanks again for your assistance.
          > >

          > > Regards Chas
          > >
          > > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com<british_insects%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > Steve Covey <od0man@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Chas,
          > > > I think you have a sawfly larva there. The larvae of some of the
          > > larger sawflies can easily attain 25-30mm in length.
          > > > Try posting your query to the sawfly yahoo group.
          > > > Cheers,
          > > >
          > > > Steve [VC7/8]
          > > > http://www.wiltshiredragonflies.org.uk/
          > > > This mail is a natural product. The
          > > > slight variation in spelling and
          > > > grammar enhance its individual
          > > > character and beauty and in no
          > > > way are to be considered flaws
          > > > or defects.

          Chas

          www.cgm-gardenlife.co.uk

        • Philippe Moniotte
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 4, 2006
            Uh, Oh!... You are absolutely right, of course, stupid suggestion of
            mine. I worked by elimination, and forgot about the basics. In any
            case, I have no doubt the people on the Symphyta list are much more
            competent than I am...
            Cheers
            Philippe
            PS I have been wrong so often that I don't mind it any more now ;°)