Beetle from bracket fungus.

  • Harold Davies
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hi All
      Found this 4-5mm long beetle inside bracket fungus alongside a wood
      louse.I would appreciate an id even if only to family.

      link below
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/british_insects/files/hd/168.jpg

      Cheers Harry
    • Colin Everett
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2006
        Family Erotylidae; subfamily Triplacinae; genus Triplax; species
        (probably) aenea. But seek a 2nd (and more expert) opinion on this!

        Keith Alexander's report for EN describes Triplax aenea (Schaller)
        as "usually associated with the fungus Pleurotus ostreatus
        [i.e 'Oyster Fungus'] growing on trunks of broad-leaved trees" and
        adds that it is "widespread in old wood pastures". All adults of
        this family of beetles inhabit the fruiting bodies of bracket fungi.
        T.aenea is the least uncommon of the four British members of the
        genus and has the colourful metallic sheen of your specimen.

        Colin Everett.

        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Davies"