Political Correctness

  • British Marine Life Study Society
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello,

      This was written and posted by specific request:

      Political Correctness (in the UK)

      Political Correctness in the land managership industry is rife and seems to
      follow the following lines.

      "Nibbled by generations" the fairy tale is a imaginary story that once upon
      a time the downs were covering a giant pretty lawn where lambs gambolled
      happily over the idyllic scenery providing wool for the grateful wretches
      living in their pretty cottages working happily for the rich landowner.

      The truth is the matter that the downs were always a patchwork landscape of
      different land uses. Typically (one example), a farm would contain the
      following proportions of downland:

      Arable 38%

      Pasture 21%

      Heath & Furze 21%

      Marsh 14%

      Meadow 5%

      Woodland 1%

      The proportion of livestock as follows:

      Sheep 99.4%

      Cows 0.6%

      Later the marsh would be drained and this fertile land would increase the
      proportion of cattle on the lowland rich alluvial soils with sufficient
      water.

      Now this is compounded by the ESA stewardship grant scheme that gives grants
      for pastures.

      Anybody who thinks that this plan is asinine is NOT politically correct.

      History and common sense shows that pasture requires grasses, which
      encourages the Meadow Brown Butterfly at the expense of all the other ones.

      Luckily, some of the scrubby type heath and furze designated land was
      unsuitable for agriculture and was given to the public as amenity land and
      nature reserves. This was left wild and provides the reservoir for a variety
      of other species especially the Chalkhill Blue Butterfly where Horseshoe
      Vetch survives. The other stronghold were the meadows but seeding and
      improvements would eliminated unwanted weeds like Horseshoe Vetch. This
      latter plant contains a toxin which is poisonous to livestock so it is best
      eliminated for feed.

      As it is well known to farmers, their preferred method of getting rid of
      this weed (sheep sick land) is turning cattle out on to the land which
      destroys it (trashing the land) and the ruminant system of cattle can deal
      with it if they eat some of it but it is mainly destroyed by trampling and
      muddying and increasing nutrition of the soil as Horseshoe Vetch only occurs
      on low fertility lands (it is a legume that converts atmospheric nitrogen
      and this gives it an advantage against other plants without manure).

      So the ESA Stewardship scheme is a device that favours farmers at the
      expense of butterflies.

      Political Correctness 2: native trees are good, aliens are bad. This means
      a maniac with a chainsaw can go around chopping down the shelter.

      Cheers

      Andy Horton
      glaucus@...
      Manager
      UK Environment and Planning Smart Group
      http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/UK_Environment-Planning

      ><< ( ( ( ' >
    • paul_mabbott
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        That may be correct, Andy, but what has it to do with 'political
        correctness'?
        When the term was coined some decades ago it referred to people in
        public life, education in particular, undervaluing and abusing people
        because of their age, gender, race &c..

        I haven't heard it used in the original sense for many a year.
        Instead it seems to be used by the right-wing press and bar-room
        bores to describe anything they disagree with.

        A few weeks ago I read a copy of the Daily Mail (I do this sort of
        thing from time to time to keep informed and perhaps as some sort of
        penance) and, separately there were five uses of 'political
        correctness'. Only one of these (favouring females as candidates for
        tory MP) could these have been described as relating to 'political'
        correctness' in its original sense. The others related to health and
        safety, religion in schools, abusive football players and car speed
        limits! I've seen it used as an insult against measures to reduce
        pollution and for wildlife preservation &c.

        I find it a meaningless and irritable term that should be consigned
        to the bin of history ..... Paul M

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hello,

          I do not know if I want to bore other readers, but as there are not many
          insects right now.

          It came about because I proposed a "grazing plan" on some rough grassland
          near a road and the idea is that two things could be achieved; the
          relatively useless (my assessment) grassland could be brought into pastoral
          use and any grants could be used to prevent the deer jumping onto the main
          road. Apparently this was deemed politically correct because it was
          downland.

          However, when people (not me in this instance) complained about grazing on
          Lancing Ring "restored" meadows this was deemed politically incorrect.

          It relates to insects because meadows are really a stronghold for insects.
          It is political because the stewardship grants are available for pastures.
          The question is are grants available for forage harvesting meadows?

          I just thought this would be the best use made of the grants if they are
          available. Plenty of pastures around. Not so many meadows. The trouble is
          restored meadows contain Ragwort so the harvested crop has not got any use.
          There is a maintenance cost.

          Nature Notes for Lancing Ring
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/LancRin2.htm
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/LancRin2004.htm
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/LancRin2005.htm

          Protect the meadows for the insects, but we will not get the dung living
          ones. They will have to fly in from the neighbouring pastures.

          Cheers

          Andy Horton
          glaucus@...
          Adur Valley (West Sussex) Nature Notes
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2006.html
          Adur Valley Nature Notes: February 2006
          http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Feb2006.html

        • Sarah Patton
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            I must have slipped into a nightmare, or some other parallel existence.
            Andy, you have been moderated on two other forums because of your
            persistence in ignoring advice to avoid libellous comment, boring and
            irrelevant monologues and endless repetition.

            Just look at this posting;

            "I do not know if I want to bore other readers....."

            "Protect the meadows for the insects, but we will not get the dung
            living
            ones. They will have to fly in from the neighbouring pastures."

            PLEASE can the postings to this group be kept relevant and stick to the
            rules. It's not difficult.
            Sarah