Greenbottle i.d.

  • Harold Davies
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi All
      This fly was photographed at Inner Marsh farm rspb Cheshire VC 58 on
      3rd Sep 2005.What genus or family does it belong.I gather it would be
      impossible to id it to species level.
      Thanks in advance Harry Davies.

      Link

      ottle.jpg
    • tipula_maxima
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        My money is on Lucilia a genus of Blowflies (Calliphoridae).
        Unfortunately you can't see the insects face to be sure.

        Alan

        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Davies"
        <wirralbirder@y...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        > This fly was photographed at Inner Marsh farm rspb Cheshire VC 58 on
        > 3rd Sep 2005.What genus or family does it belong.I gather it would be
        > impossible to id it to species level.
        > Thanks in advance Harry Davies.
        >
        > Link

        > ottle.jpg

      • GORDON
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
          Alan,

          I have uploaded two photos, in Files for ID'ing / Gordon's file, of greenbottles ? You mentioned in your reply to Harry that you were unable to see the face of his greenbottle to be sure of an ID. Is there suffficient on my photos and if so what should I look for ?

          Many thanks

          Gordon

        • tipula_maxima
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            In Flies of the British Isles by Colyer and Hammond there is a key to
            the main/commonest Greenbottle genera, and there are keys to species in
            the RES Handbooks.

            A summery is as follows, roman numerals refer to months in which adults
            can be found (please refer to the literature as this is only my
            interpritation of it and may not be correct):-

            Genera
            1 Orthellia (Muscidae) 6.75-9 mm iii-x common
            2 Dasyphora (Muscidae) 6.75-9 mm ii-viii Very common
            3 Pyrellia ignita (Muscidae) 5.5-6 mm v-viii uncommon
            4 Gymnocheta viridis (Tachinidae) 6.5-11 mm iv-vi
            5 Cynomya mortuorum (Calliphoridae) 8-15 mm iv-x usually at carrion
            6 Lucilia (Calliphoridae) 4.5-10 mm iii-x very common

            Characters

            Area of head above antennae and between eyes metallic; similarly sides
            of head below eyes in front - 1
            These areas not metallic - 2 3 4 5 and 6

            Area of head below antennae, and also area at sides below eyes yellow -
            5
            These areas not yellow 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6

            The angle in the long vein that bends forward near the wing tip is
            broadly rounded - 2 and 3
            This angle much sharper - 1, 4, 5 and 6

            Eyes hairy - 2 and 4
            Eyes bare - 1, 3, 5 and 6

            Abdomen with strong bristles, even some on center part of some
            segments - 4
            Strong bristles weaker, and only along edges of segments - 1, 2, 3, 5
            and 6

            The flies in the first collage are probably Lucilia female and those in
            the second Collage1 are probably Lucilia males, the eyes in the males
            are closer together. Yours are probably L. sericata as it is very
            common and the males eyes are a little further apart than in other
            species.

            --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "GORDON" <gordon_jar@h...>
            wrote:

            > Alan,
            >
            > I have uploaded two photos, in Files for ID'ing / Gordon's file, of
            greenbottles ? You mentioned in your reply to Harry that you were
            unable to see the face of his greenbottle to be sure of an ID. Is there
            suffficient on my photos and if so what should I look for ?

            > Many thanks
            >
            > Gordon

          • GORDON
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 4, 2005
              Alan

              Many thanks for taking the time to explain

              Gordon