Re: Photo to ID

  • Joe Higman
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      Thanks, Darrel

      I think you could be right, but I'm not expert enough to know why. Are
      there any field marks that would confirm it was a Muslin and not anything
      else?

      Fogey

      > Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:08:01 -0000
      > From: "Darrel Watts" <d.watts@...>
      > Subject: Re: Photo to ID
      >
      > Hi all,
      > I don't claim any expertise, but I think that this might be a Muslin
      > moth caterpillar.
      > Have a look on Reg Fry's Caterpillar site.
      > http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/index.html
      > or UK moths
      > http://ukmoths.org.uk/
      > cheers Darrel
      >

      > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "bluefogey" <zen79148@z...> wrote:
      > > I've put a picture of a caterpillar in Fogey's Garden Photos in the
      > > file section. It isn't from my garden - I found it on a picture frame I
      > > scavenged.
      > >
      > > Thanks for your help,
      > >
      > > Fogey

      many emails are clogging up your inbox!

    • Darrel Watts
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hi Joe,
        Its guess work really, it looked a bit like a Buff Ermine caterpillar,
        but it wasn't "quite right". I was pretty sure it was an Arctiidae
        caterpillar (Ermine, Footman or Tiger). I had a look in Porter
        (Caterpillars of the British Isles), but the picture weren't very
        informative, but for the Muslin the text said "body grey" and "head
        capsule orange", I know that the Muslin is quite a common moth so I
        had a quick look on Reg Fry's site, and at that point I was happy to
        send in the suggestion.

        cheers Darrel

        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Higman" <zen79148@z...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hello Darrel,
          I have tried to find Reg Fry's site but had no luck. Could you post a link
          please ?
          Thanks, Mick.

          On 10/3/05, Darrel Watts <d.watts@...> wrote:

          > Hi Joe,
          > Its guess work really, it looked a bit like a Buff Ermine caterpillar,
          > but it wasn't "quite right". I was pretty sure it was an Arctiidae
          > caterpillar (Ermine, Footman or Tiger). I had a look in Porter
          > (Caterpillars of the British Isles), but the picture weren't very
          > informative, but for the Muslin the text said "body grey" and "head
          > capsule orange", I know that the Muslin is quite a common moth so I
          > had a quick look on Reg Fry's site, and at that point I was happy to
          > send in the suggestion.
          >
          > cheers Darrel
          >
          > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Higman" <zen79148@z...>
          > wrote:
          > > Thanks, Darrel
          > >
          > > I think you could be right, but I'm not expert enough to know why. Are
          > > there any field marks that would confirm it was a Muslin and not
          > anything
          > > else?
          > >
          > > Fogey
          > >

          > > > Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:08:01 -0000
          > > > From: "Darrel Watts" <d.watts@b...>
          > > > Subject: Re: Photo to ID
          > > >
          > > > Hi all,
          > > > I don't claim any expertise, but I think that this might be a Muslin
          > > > moth caterpillar.
          > > > Have a look on Reg Fry's Caterpillar site.
          > > > http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/index.html
          > > > or UK moths
          > > > http://ukmoths.org.uk/
          > > > cheers Darrel
          > > >

          > > > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "bluefogey"
          > frame I

          > if too
          > > many emails are clogging up your inbox!

          > Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too
          > many emails are clogging up your inbox!

        • Chris Court
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2005
            I think its http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/

            Chris

            I have tried to find Reg Fry's site but had no luck. Could you post a link
            please ?
            Thanks, Mick.

            On 10/3/05, Darrel Watts <d.watts@...> wrote:

            > Hi Joe,
            > Its guess work really, it looked a bit like a Buff Ermine caterpillar,
            > but it wasn't "quite right". I was pretty sure it was an Arctiidae
            > caterpillar (Ermine, Footman or Tiger). I had a look in Porter
            > (Caterpillars of the British Isles), but the picture weren't very
            > informative, but for the Muslin the text said "body grey" and "head
            > capsule orange", I know that the Muslin is quite a common moth so I
            > had a quick look on Reg Fry's site, and at that point I was happy to
            > send in the suggestion.
            >
            > cheers Darrel
            >
            > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Higman" <zen79148@z...>
            > wrote:
            > > Thanks, Darrel
            > >
            > > I think you could be right, but I'm not expert enough to know why. Are
            > > there any field marks that would confirm it was a Muslin and not
            > anything
            > > else?
            > >
            > > Fogey
            > >

            > > > Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:08:01 -0000
            > > > From: "Darrel Watts" <d.watts@b...>
            > > > Subject: Re: Photo to ID
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > > I don't claim any expertise, but I think that this might be a Muslin
            > > > moth caterpillar.
            > > > Have a look on Reg Fry's Caterpillar site.
            > > > http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/index.html
            > > > or UK moths
            > > > http://ukmoths.org.uk/
            > > > cheers Darrel
            > > >

            > > > --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "bluefogey"
            > frame I

            > if too
            > > many emails are clogging up your inbox!

            > Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too
            > many emails are clogging up your inbox!

            > Insect
            repellent<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Insect+repellent&w1=Insect+rep
            ellent&w2=Insect+control&w3=Animal+traps&w4=Insect+screen&w5=Insect+killer&w
            6=Insect+pest&c=6&s=115&.sig=JsR_BKCemptnTiNwfWSWdA> Insect

            nt&w2=Insect+control&w3=Animal+traps&w4=Insect+screen&w5=Insect+killer&w6=In
            sect+pest&c=6&s=115&.sig=iZTEi7pc5opzCN4Uf-VpJg> Animal

            2=Insect+control&w3=Animal+traps&w4=Insect+screen&w5=Insect+killer&w6=Insect
            +pest&c=6&s=115&.sig=WCQArSZrFPYetquTibT3lw> Insect

            &w2=Insect+control&w3=Animal+traps&w4=Insect+screen&w5=Insect+killer&w6=Inse
            ct+pest&c=6&s=115&.sig=R5AYYQ3EGKCvb1Zm9X4BeA> Insect

            &w2=Insect+control&w3=Animal+traps&w4=Insect+screen&w5=Insect+killer&w6=Inse
            ct+pest&c=6&s=115&.sig=d5hW4a1HDKs7OpZaq6dFWw> Insect

            Insect+control&w3=Animal+traps&w4=Insect+screen&w5=Insect+killer&w6=Insect+p
            est&c=6&s=115&.sig=Ti4w62ejxXtTDvatYt3csQ>

            ogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>

            We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:

            Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too many
            emails are clogging up your inbox!

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://www.star.net.uk

            http://www.star.net.uk
          • Darrel Watts
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2005
              Hi Mick,
              Thanks to Chris who has already done this.
              Reg's site is extremely hard to find on the WWW, and never appears if
              you search on Google, possibly because it's a frameset?

              Muslin Moth caterpillar image at:
              http://www.ukleps.btinternet.co.uk/Proms/2063s.jpg

              If you save it the image is a really a huge, good quality one
              shoe-horned into a little box.

              cheers Darrel