Re: [british_insects] Stilt-legged flies - can you help with ID?

  • Storey, M.W.
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
      David Jones wrote:

      > I find brown/orange coloured flies on the Ivy in my garden. They
      > have a very distinctive orange colouring between their eyes, and
      > they are often perched at leaf edges. Today I found one that was
      > eating a small fly. I suspect that they are stilt-legged flies but I
      > can't match them with the ones in my Collins Guides. Can you help?
      >
      > In my diaries there are pictures taken over the last two days (29,
      > 30 Oct), including a mating pair. To see them, go to my site, click
      > on garden latest (If that takes you into the November page, simply
      > click on 'go to previous entry' at the top of the page).

      I agree with Matt, they're dung flies: Scathophaga species.
      The jelly fungus is Exidia thuretania - the white spots inside
      are said to be calcium oxalate.
      Malcolm
    • David Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Storey, M.W."
        <malcolms@l...> wrote:

        > I agree with Matt, they're dung flies: Scathophaga species.
        > The jelly fungus is Exidia thuretania - the white spots inside
        > are said to be calcium oxalate.
        > Malcolm

        Thanks Malcolm and Matt,

        Dung flies they are - and I would never have got near to that ID for
        the fungus.

        At the moment it is a case of bad light stops play in the
        garden, so there are no new insect pictures to puzzle over at the
        moment.

        Cheers,

        David Jones
        Garden Wildlife Diaries at http://www.mybitoftheplanet.com