What's this fly?

  • Chris Webster
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hallo..
      This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
      with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
      http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg

      What might it be?

      Chris.
    • Don Stenhouse
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
        Hi Chris
        It is one of the Tephritid fruit flies - �Picture wing flies�.
        They often have elaborate courtship involving waving of the wings, which
        can be patterned to maximise the effect. Apparently males of some
        species gather in Leks and strut their stuff! I don�t study flies, but I
        have a soft spot for these, because they have character.

        Regards
        Don
        This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
        with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
        HYPERLINK
        "http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg"http://homepage.n
        tlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg

        What might it be?

        Chris.

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

      • Chris Webster
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
          On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:37:49 +0100
          "Don Stenhouse" <don.sten@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris
          > It is one of the Tephritid fruit flies - ‘Picture wing flies’.
          > They often have elaborate courtship involving waving of the wings, which
          > can be patterned to maximise the effect. Apparently males of some
          > species gather in Leks and strut their stuff! I don’t study flies, but I
          > have a soft spot for these, because they have character.

          Hi Don
          Thanks for the information.... I was impressed by this one first
          of all because it was a good flier, hovering and avoiding the spiders'
          webs. It's quite endearing too, the way it stands there at the end of
          the leaf showing off its wings.
          I'd agree that some insects seem to have more "character" than
          others... maybe it's down to more elaborate behaviour that gives the
          semblance of intelligence.

          Chris.
        • tipula_maxima
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
            This fly looks like Palloptera muliebris, family Pallopteridae which
            is related to Tephritidae. A web search should produce pictures
            which you can compare.

            Alan Hadley.

            --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, Chris Webster <user@l...>
            wrote:
            > Hallo..
            > This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
            > with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
            > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg
            >
            > What might it be?
            >
            > Chris.
          • Don Stenhouse
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
              Hi alan
              Told you I didn�t study flies!
              What are the differences between Pallopteridae and Tephritidae?

              Cheers
              Don

              wrote:
              > Hallo..
              > This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
              > with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
              > HYPERLINK
              "http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg"http://homepage.n
              tlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg

              > What might it be?
              >
              > Chris.

              ---

                wrote:
                > Hallo..
                > This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
                > with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
                > HYPERLINK
                "http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg"http://homepage.n
                tlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg

                > What might it be?
                >
                > Chris.

                ---

                  wrote:
                  > Hallo..
                  > This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
                  > with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
                  > HYPERLINK
                  "http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg"http://homepage.n
                  tlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg

                  > What might it be?
                  >
                  > Chris.

                  ---

                    wrote:
                    > Hallo..
                    > This interesting little fly was in my garden yesterday, posing
                    > with its patterned wings held out as if displaying.
                    > HYPERLINK
                    "http://homepage.ntlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg"http://homepage.n
                    tlworld.com/celastrina/pic8/fl4.jpeg

                    > What might it be?
                    >
                    > Chris.

                    ---

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                      --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Don Stenhouse"
                      <don.sten@n...> wrote:
                      > Hi alan
                      > Told you I didn't study flies!
                      > What are the differences between Pallopteridae and Tephritidae?
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Don

                      There are several families of superficially similar flies with
                      pictured wings, the differences between them are not easy to see
                      without a good lens or a microscope. The sort of characters used
                      are the inclination of a pair of bristles on top of the head
                      (Postverticals), the presence or absence of strong bristles on the
                      mouth edge (Vibrissae) or above the apex of the 'shin' (Dorsal
                      Preapical bristles on the tibia), or the location or absence of small
                      breaks in the vein (Costa) that forms the leading edge of the wing,
                      or the nature of the first vein behind the Costa (Subcosta). In
                      this case Tephritidae have the apex of the subcosta bent forwards at
                      a rightangle and fainter beyond the bend, this separates that family
                      from Pallopteridae and other families that share various combinations
                      of the characters mentioned above.

                      Alan Hadley
                    • Chris Webster
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2004
                        On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 23:41:02 -0000
                        "tipula_maxima" <alan_hadley@...> wrote:

                        > This fly looks like Palloptera muliebris, family Pallopteridae which
                        > is related to Tephritidae. A web search should produce pictures
                        > which you can compare.

                        Indeed it does.. I should have spent more time looking through Malcolm
                        Storey' photos... bioimages.org.uk/HTML/R154680.HTM has some splendid
                        views of it, though I notice mine has a more portly abdomen.

                        A Sepsid was waving its wings in the garden today, but I'll leave that
                        unidentified.

                        Thanks Alan..

                        Chris.