Re: Homoptera

  • Hans Arentsen
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      Dear Robert,

      As you say your picture is not of excellent quality, but the animal
      in it looks like an Evacanthus species. Measuring 5 to 7 mm
      Evacanthus intermedius is very common over here in Holland, but I am
      nut sure that is the right species, for yours seem te have a darker
      body. There are several similar species, though.

      I am not good at caterpillars, but yours looks like a Geometer. I
      don't think it is a sawfly larva, but that's just a hunch.

      Cheers,

      Hans

      --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <cipeen@h...> wrote:
      > Ok, who's good on Frog hoppers?
      >
      > I took this (BAD!) picture last night in bad light. It's clearly
      one
      > of the Homoptera, but my Chinery doesn't have it. Any ideas?
      >
      > http://homepage.eircom.net/~hedgerow4/aug31.htm
      >
      > And while you're there, any ideas for the red and white
      larva?..I've
      > been through all the likely moths with no success, so it must be a
      > sawfly, and I don't want to bother John.
      >
      > Stuart
      >
      > http://homepage.eircom.net/~hedgerow2
    • steve covey
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
        Hi Stuart,
        the larva looks like the Lime-speck Pug. It's quite variable according to 'Porter' but is quite a good match to the illustration in his book. Is the plant it's on in your photo a Scabrous? If so that is one of it's stated food plants.
        Cheers,

        Steve.
        This mail is a natural product. The
        slight variation in spelling and
        grammar enhance its individual
        character and beauty and in no
        way are to be considered flaws
        or defects.

        I took this (BAD!) picture last night in bad light. It's clearly one
        of the Homoptera, but my Chinery doesn't have it. Any ideas?

        http://homepage.eircom.net/~hedgerow4/aug31.htm

        And while you're there, any ideas for the red and white larva?..I've
        been through all the likely moths with no success, so it must be a
        sawfly, and I don't want to bother John.

        Stuart

        http://homepage.eircom.net/~hedgerow2

        We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:

        Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too many emails are clogging up your inbox!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • steve covey
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
          Whoops! that should read Scabious - blasted spell checker!

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2004
            --- In british_insects@yahoogroups.com, "steve covey"
            <steve.covey@n...> wrote:
            > Hi Stuart,
            > the larva looks like the Lime-speck Pug. It's quite variable
            according to 'Porter' but is quite a good match to the illustration
            in his book. Is the plant it's on in your photo a Scabrous?

            Steve,

            Indeed it does. The sample pics I had looked at were quite
            different, but it does say 'variable'. And yes, that is a Scabious.
            So thanks for that. Now all I've got to do is find an adult...

            Thanks,