Oil Beetle

  • Michael Lush
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2004
      Hi,

      My colleagues and I were working in South Devon earlier this week and found 3 Violet Oil Beetles (Meloe violaceus). This is a Nationally Notable species, so is quite exciting, apart from its impressive appearance.

      I took a number of photos, but they can move fast when they want to, so none of them were perfect. However, I did get one reasonable 'action shot', which can be found at http://www.pbase.com/image/28482930.

      Additionally, if anyone can confirm the identity of this snail (http://www.pbase.com/image/28413181) I'd be very much obliged. I took a photo and meant to take it away for proper identification, but whilst I went looking for a suitable receptacle I forgot which tree I had left it on! I know it is not strictly an insect, but I don't know of a group dedicated to molluscs. Perhaps we can promote them to honorary insects for the time being!

      Mike.

    • Bernard Hocking
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2004
        Hi, Oil-beetle on coastal path near Nanquidno between Sennen and Cape Cornwall 2nd May, Bernard
[...]

        We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:

        Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too many emails are clogging up your inbox!

      • Storey, M.W.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2004
          Michael Lush wrote:

          > My colleagues and I were working in South Devon earlier this week and found 3
          > Violet Oil Beetles (Meloe violaceus). This is a Nationally Notable species,
          > so is quite exciting, apart from its impressive appearance.

          Watch out for small midges - Forcipomyia spp (DIPTERA: CERATOPOGONIDAE)
          feeding on them.
          They insert their probosces between the abdominal segments.
          There was a paper about them in Brit Ent Soc Journal recently.

          > Additionally, if anyone can confirm the identity of this snail
          > (http://www.pbase.com/image/28413181)

          Maybe Arianta arbustorum, but hard to get the size from a picture.

          Malcolm Storey
        • Martin Catt
          Message 4 of 7 , May 17, 2004
            Hi Michael

            Where in S.Devon (I live at East Prawle and run the local Nat. Hist. Soc.)
            and who were you working for ? N.T., RSPB, DWT or MAFF ?
            We have oil beetles locally. Not checked to species! as I have leant out the
            relevant BW mag.

            Have fun

            Martin Catt
            martin.catt@...

            Sharing Nature with people :-)
            > My colleagues and I were working in South Devon earlier this week and
            found 3 Violet Oil Beetles (Meloe violaceus). This is a Nationally Notable
            species, so is quite exciting, apart from its impressive appearance.

            > I took a number of photos, but they can move fast when they want to, so
            none of them were perfect. However, I did get one reasonable 'action shot',
            which can be found at http://www.pbase.com/image/28482930.

            > Additionally, if anyone can confirm the identity of this snail
            (http://www.pbase.com/image/28413181) I'd be very much obliged. I took a
            photo and meant to take it away for proper identification, but whilst I went
            looking for a suitable receptacle I forgot which tree I had left it on! I
            know it is not strictly an insect, but I don't know of a group dedicated to
            molluscs. Perhaps we can promote them to honorary insects for the time
            being!

            > Mike.

            > We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:
            >
            > Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too
            many emails are clogging up your inbox!

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Lush
            Message 5 of 7 , May 17, 2004
              Martin,

              I'm afraid that I cannot give out information about the precise location without getting first the permission of EN (who we're working for) and then the landowner. As I work for a consultancy we really need to keep EN on our side, limiting our requests only to issues directly related to the project. As such I don't feel able to ask on your behalf. Sorry.

              I wish I could remember for certain the identification features, but beetles are not my strong point so our resident entomologist did the ID. He did tell me why, and I'm afraid that I'm now not certain, but try this:

              If it looks like the one in my picture then it is one of two. If it has the depressed posterial area on the thorax (clearly visible in the picture) then it is M. violaceus, otherwise it is M. proscarabaeus.

              I'm sure someone out there can tell me if I've remembered that right, otherwise you'll just have to wait 'til you get BW back!

              Mike.

              > My colleagues and I were working in South Devon earlier this week and
              found 3 Violet Oil Beetles (Meloe violaceus). This is a Nationally Notable
              species, so is quite exciting, apart from its impressive appearance.

              > I took a number of photos, but they can move fast when they want to, so
              none of them were perfect. However, I did get one reasonable 'action shot',
              which can be found at http://www.pbase.com/image/28482930.

              > Additionally, if anyone can confirm the identity of this snail
              (http://www.pbase.com/image/28413181) I'd be very much obliged. I took a
              photo and meant to take it away for proper identification, but whilst I went
              looking for a suitable receptacle I forgot which tree I had left it on! I
              know it is not strictly an insect, but I don't know of a group dedicated to
              molluscs. Perhaps we can promote them to honorary insects for the time
              being!

              > Mike.

              > We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:
              >
              > Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too
              many emails are clogging up your inbox!

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:

              Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too many emails are clogging up your inbox!

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Martin Catt
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2004
                Hi Mike

                Thanks for the info you can give, I know the problems you face. Hopefully EN
                will achieve something useful, new SSSI,s or proper land use for the
                existing ones in S.Devon. Shame they did not approach the local Nat. Hist.
                Socs. for local info.

                Who do you work for and do you need any help with other work in the West
                Country? I cover most plants and animals being an experienced naturalist.

                ttfn

                Martin Catt
                martin.catt@...

                Sharing Nature with people :-)
                > I'm afraid that I cannot give out information about the precise location
                without getting first the permission of EN (who we're working for) and then
                the landowner. As I work for a consultancy we really need to keep EN on our
                side, limiting our requests only to issues directly related to the project.
                As such I don't feel able to ask on your behalf. Sorry.

                > I wish I could remember for certain the identification features, but
                beetles are not my strong point so our resident entomologist did the ID. He
                did tell me why, and I'm afraid that I'm now not certain, but try this:

                > If it looks like the one in my picture then it is one of two. If it has
                the depressed posterial area on the thorax (clearly visible in the picture)
                then it is M. violaceus, otherwise it is M. proscarabaeus.

                > I'm sure someone out there can tell me if I've remembered that right,
                otherwise you'll just have to wait 'til you get BW back!

                > Mike.

                Service.

                > We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:
                >
                > Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too
                many emails are clogging up your inbox!

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Michael Lush
                Message 7 of 7 , May 17, 2004
                  Martin,

                  I'm not sure if EN will be able or inclined to designate SSSI's from the information we gain, but hopefully we will be suggesting suitable management to the landowner as well as gaining the information EN require. The survey part of this project is very small, which is why we did not approach people for information beyond finding places to survey.

                  The company I work for is Just Ecology, based in Gloucestershire. There is a website, http://www.justecology.co.uk/main.html, which will explain a bit about what we do (excuse the advertisement everyone else), though it is about to be updated as it is rather out of date. The work we do is predominantly for nature conservation bodies and the like, so it is fairly varied and enjoyable. I have made requests for subcontractors on this forum and others with limited response. If you are interested in being involved with the work we do the best bet is to send a CV and covering letter to our west of England office.

                  All the best,

                  Mike.

                  > I'm afraid that I cannot give out information about the precise location
                  without getting first the permission of EN (who we're working for) and then
                  the landowner. As I work for a consultancy we really need to keep EN on our
                  side, limiting our requests only to issues directly related to the project.
                  As such I don't feel able to ask on your behalf. Sorry.

                  > I wish I could remember for certain the identification features, but
                  beetles are not my strong point so our resident entomologist did the ID. He
                  did tell me why, and I'm afraid that I'm now not certain, but try this:

                  > If it looks like the one in my picture then it is one of two. If it has
                  the depressed posterial area on the thorax (clearly visible in the picture)
                  then it is M. violaceus, otherwise it is M. proscarabaeus.

                  > I'm sure someone out there can tell me if I've remembered that right,
                  otherwise you'll just have to wait 'til you get BW back!

                  > Mike.

                  Service.