British Bee resources?

  • Amy Pickard
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 9:44 AM
      Hello to all in the British Insects group.

      I'm a new member to this group (a hour in fact!) and I feel a bit cheeky
      asking a question straight away, but here goes!

      I'm a university student and for this year's course I have to devise and
      execute my own Ecology project. Straight away I wanted to study flying
      insects and decided that bees would be best, since I'd have a chance at
      identifying them in a few seconds. My project is likely to involve testing
      what colour (and possibly shape) of artificial (i.e. paper) flowers bees
      prefer.

      Now, here's my question, do any of you know what kind of bees I'm likely to
      see in my location (North-west England) around May time? Alternatively, do
      you know of any online resources that could tell me this - I've searched
      all the usual kinds of places and not found anything.

      You are likely to get a credit on my paper, so don't be shy!

      Many thanks in advance, and sorry again for leaping in with a question.

      Amy Pickard
      http://www.demon.co.uk/MyProjects/index.htm
    • Paul Talbot
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 1:04 PM
        Hi Amy
        Try
        http://www.bwars.com/
        http://www.mearns.org.uk/mrssmith/bees/bees.htm
        http://www.oxbeeco.com/

        Paul Talbot in VC 63
[...]

        We hope you will not want to unsubscribe! But to do so, send an email to:

        Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too many emails are clogging up your inbox!

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Hans Arentsen
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 1:12 PM
          Straight away I wanted to study flying
          insects and decided that bees would be best, since I'd have a chance
          at
          identifying them in a few seconds.

          Dear Amy,

          I don't want to disaapoint you, but do you have any idea of the
          number of species you might encounter in May? Some 1o species of
          bumblebees alone. And then there are mason bees and sand bees... and
          many more. Forget about the few seconds. Your subject is interesting
          though. But don't forget to think in terms of infrared colors as
          well... I am from Holland, so some species, common over here are not
          in England, while the reverse is true as well. That is why I won't
          give you any suggestions, but I am afraid you have taken upon
          yourself an enormous task. Are you still able to switch :-)

          Wishing you lots of fun,

          Cheers,

          Hans
        • Andy Mabbett
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 3:04 PM
            In message <6.0.3.0.0.20040302173633.01b73ae0@...>, Amy
            Pickard <amy@...> writes

            >Hello to all in the British Insects group.

            Hello!

            >I'm a new member to this group (a hour in fact!) and I feel a bit
            >cheeky asking a question straight away, but here goes!

            Well, that's what it's here for.

            >I'm a university student and for this year's course I have to devise
            >and execute my own Ecology project. Straight away I wanted to study
            >flying insects and decided that bees would be best, since I'd have a
            >chance at identifying them in a few seconds. My project is likely to
            >involve testing what colour (and possibly shape) of artificial (i.e.
            >paper) flowers bees prefer.

            Don't forget that Bees may see a different spectrum to us (infrared or
            ultra violet), so not all paper flowers of one colour (to us) will be
            the same to them.

            >Now, here's my question, do any of you know what kind of bees I'm
            >likely to see in my location (North-west England) around May time?

            Watch out, too, for wasps, hoverflies and moths some of which mimic
            bees.

            >You are likely to get a credit on my paper, so don't be shy!

            Shyness isn't one of my weaknesses ;-)

            Will you be putting a copy of your paper on the web, where we can see
            it?

            >Amy Pickard
            >http://www.demon.co.uk/MyProjects/index.htm

            I think you mean:

            <http://www.pickards.demon.co.uk/MyProjects/index.htm>
            ^^^^^^^^^
            --
            Andy Mabbett

            Birmingham, UK : Vice-county = 39 (Staffordshire!)
            andy@...
          • Amy Pickard
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 11:27 AM
              Thanks to Paul, Hans and Andy. I've replied to all of you in the same
              email, to make it easier on me!

              > From: "Paul Talbot" <paulinvc63@...>
              >Subject: Re: British Bee resources?
              >
              >Hi Amy
              >Try
              >http://www.bwars.com/
              >http://www.mearns.org.uk/mrssmith/bees/bees.htm
              >http://www.oxbeeco.com/

              I will do, thanks.

              From: "Hans Arentsen" <arentsen@...>
              >Subject: Re: British Bee resources?
              >
              >Straight away I wanted to study flying
              >insects and decided that bees would be best, since I'd have a chance
              >at
              >identifying them in a few seconds.
              >
              >Dear Amy,
              >
              >I don't want to disaapoint you, but do you have any idea of the
              >number of species you might encounter in May?

              Well, I hadn't thought of that! But, that's why I joined - so I could learn.

              > From: Andy Mabbett <andy@...>
              >Subject: Re: British Bee resources?
              >

              >Don't forget that Bees may see a different spectrum to us (infrared or
              >ultra violet), so not all paper flowers of one colour (to us) will be
              >the same to them.

              Now, funnily enough, I had thought about and I'll probably need to discuss
              those kinds of things with my tutor.

              >Will you be putting a copy of your paper on the web, where we can see
              >it?

              I'm not sure about the rules on that - in fact I hadn't even thought about
              it. I'd think it would be OK, since it would be my own work! However, I
              probably wouldn't be able to publish it until after I'd got my course
              results (December at the earliest), so there'd be a bit of a wait!

              > >Amy Pickard
              > >http://www.demon.co.uk/MyProjects/index.htm
              >
              >I think you mean:
              >
              > <http://www.pickards.demon.co.uk/MyProjects/index.htm>
              > ^^^^^^^^^

              Well, big 'doh!' for me - you'd have thought I'd know my own homepage! :o)

              Thanks again, and I'll keep you updated. It's early days so far, and I
              might change my mind completely once I've gone on my week-long field trip
              in April!

              Amy Pickard
              http://www.pickards.demon.co.uk/MyProjects/index.htm