Re: [british_insects] Nikon 995/ Cool-light SL1

  • Andy Mabbett
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
      In message <3F6EEAF7.43D6@...>, "Storey, M.W."
      <malcolms@...> writes
      >Andy Mabbett wrote:
      >>
      >> Does anyone here use a Nikon 995 (or one of that family) to photograph
      >> moths?
      >>
      >There was a recent discussion on this in UKMoths (or maybe UKLeps)
      >Check the archive.

      Thank you; that was a result f me posting the same query there.

      >> I'm thinking of acquiring a Nikon Cool-light SL-1 for use with mine. Has
      >> anyone used one?
      >>
      >Had one about a year, but hardly used it.

      You obviously don't need it. Send it to me ;-)

      >> I'm particularly interested in photographing moths, but also other
      >> insects and small flowers; very often hand- held.
      >>
      >Me too, tho always with a tripod (so can stop down for depth of focus)

      I'd prefer to always use a tripod, but I don't want to carry one out in
      the field all day; nor expect my companions to wait while I set one up.

      >Outdoors in dark situtations
      >eg this was growing on the clay banks underneath a small wood footbridge
      >First 5 pictures are SL-1
      >http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/R152829.HTM

      Not bad!

      --
      Andy Mabbett

      Birmingham, UK : Vice-county = 39 (Staffordshire!)
      andy@...
    • Andy Mabbett
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2003
        In message <001301c38219$88f49730$fb827ad5@picus>, Andy Banthorpe
        <andy.banthorpe@...> writes

        >I have been using a SL-1 for the last year with a Coolpix 995 and would
        >not be without it.

        You're the first person who's sounded so positive!

        > It is just so useful when I find an insect that I cannot id and need
        >to photograph. Especially good for moths at the trap at night etc.

        Yes, that would be one of my uses.

        > Order one - they are just so light and handy to have in your pocket
        >in case you need it

        I may notify Father Christmas! ;-)

        Seriously, though it's a lot of money for something which I may or may
        not use; hence my original query.

        >PS most of the moths on my webpages were lit using it on the 995 in
        >macro:-
        > http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy

        They look very good - can you give some specific examples, so I can be
        certain of what I'm seeing?

        What about Buff Arches and Poplar Grey on:

        <http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrapdenr.htm> ?

        (which has the wrong <title>, BTW. Or those on:

        <http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrap32lc1.htm>
        --
        Andy Mabbett

        Birmingham, UK : Vice-county = 39 (Staffordshire!)
        andy@...
      • Andy Banthorpe
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2003
          Andy,
          The following pages have all the pics taken using the coolight:-
          http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrap32lcunk060803.htm
          http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrap32lcunk230803.htm
          http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrapdenr.htm
          http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrap32lcunk280903.htm
          Red twin-spot carpet and dark arches on
          http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrap32lc1.htm
          (the tissue is natural light, not sure on the flame shoulder prob a
          combination of coolight and natural lighting)

          I suppose in the end it is a personal view of mine that I am happy with the
          results I get but then they are good for what I want which is often a good
          enough pic to get an id from especially with micromoths or insects when I am
          emailling the pic.
          The only thing that annoys me is the multiple reflections from the leds
          but that only causes a problem when I have a reflective background and would
          be the same with flash as well

          Rgds

          Andy

          > >I have been using a SL-1 for the last year with a Coolpix 995 and would
          > >not be without it.
          >
          > You're the first person who's sounded so positive!
          >
          > > It is just so useful when I find an insect that I cannot id and need
          > >to photograph. Especially good for moths at the trap at night etc.
          >
          > Yes, that would be one of my uses.
          >
          > > Order one - they are just so light and handy to have in your pocket
          > >in case you need it
          >
          > I may notify Father Christmas! ;-)
          >
          > Seriously, though it's a lot of money for something which I may or may
          > not use; hence my original query.
          >
          > >PS most of the moths on my webpages were lit using it on the 995 in
          > >macro:-
          > > http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy
          >
          > They look very good - can you give some specific examples, so I can be
          > certain of what I'm seeing?
          >
          > What about Buff Arches and Poplar Grey on:
          >
          > <http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrapdenr.htm> ?
          >
          > (which has the wrong <title>, BTW. Or those on:
          >
          > <http://www.btinternet.com/~picus/Andy/mothtrap32lc1.htm>
          > --
          > Andy Mabbett
          >
          > Birmingham, UK : Vice-county = 39 (Staffordshire!)
          > andy@...

          > Remember: You can always set your subscription to "daily digest" if too
          many emails are clogging up your inbox!

        • Andy Mabbett
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
            In message <002001c38931$b2f26a20$1f017ad5@picus>, Andy Banthorpe
            <andy.banthorpe@...> writes
            >The following pages have all the pics taken using the coolight:-

            Splendid, thank you - I'm sold!

            I'll be looking for some non- reflective containers, with clear lids,
            too...