Re: Science and Ideals.

    Message 1 of 203 , Sep 2, 2008
      On 2 Sep 2008, at 02:18, Dan M wrote:
      > My personal favorite version is "love your neighbor as you love
      > yourself"
      > because this balances the importance of neighbor and oneself. I
      > know people
      > who are so self-sacrificing that they neglect themselves. How best
      > to do
      > this can be the subject of tremendous debate, since we do not have
      > enough
      > information to know outcomes. But, that's not my central point
      > here. My
      > central point is that the Golden Rule is an axiom; inherently
      > unprovable.
      > The only way to prove it is as a theorem from another axiom that's not
      > provable: e.g. because we are all made in the image and likeness of
      > God we
      > must love one's neighbor as oneself.

      Or it could be a social contract.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Justice

      New Ideas Maru

      --
      William T Goodall
      Mail : wtg@...

      "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
      atrocities." ~Voltaire.

    • Kevin B. O'Brien
      Message 203 of 203 , Sep 26, 2008
        John Garcia wrote:
        > On a different tack, some of us who are of a particular age, will remember
        > another controversial President associated
        > with an unpopular war, floundering economy, etc. So, what do you all think?
        > Nixon vs Bush (the son). Which was worse
        I'll say Bush is worse since he is completely incompetent. But I can
        understand the view that incompetent evil is better.

        Regards,

        --
        Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
        zwilnik@... Linux User #333216

        "Waldheimer's Disease? You grow old and forget you were a Nazi." -- Jon
        Marans