Re: Chicken and Egg

    Message 1 of 37 , Jul 16, 2008
      At 08:12 PM Tuesday 7/15/2008, William T Goodall wrote:

      >On 16 Jul 2008, at 00:24, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

      > >> I don't have a good answer for them. Can't stop people from doing
      > >> dangerous things.
      > >>
      > >> --[Lance]
      > >

      > > Now how about an actually helpful response for those who do not have
      > > access to another computer at home?
      > >

      >Get a NAT router/firewall appliance for $50 or less and connect it
      >between the PC and the internet.
      >
      >Belt and braces Maru

      See my response to Lance.

      . . . ronn! :)

    • Kevin B. O'Brien
      Message 37 of 37 , Jul 17, 2008
        Bruce Bostwick wrote:
        > I've seen firsthand the kind of damage a Ph.D. can do if there are no
        > constraining factors. Condensed version of the story: Geophysics
        > professors should not attempt carpentry, especially if their idea of
        > how to cut a 4x4 is with a circulal saw, and even more so if they
        > don't see anything wrong with using a plywood blade to do it. A dull
        > one, no less. And if they do it surrounded by their own students, who
        > are acutely aware of how thoroughly the Prof is embarrassing himself
        > but dare not speak up to point this out .. well, it's a sight to behold.
        >
        > (I came within a few red hairs of going to my own car, grabbing the
        > circular saw with the carbide crosscut blade on it, and finishing his
        > 20-minute odyssey of noise and smoke with a half-second zip through
        > the offending board. Self-educated gentleman-amateurs with a modest
        > amount of engineering knowledge *do* tend to make decent carpenters.
        > Especially if they grew up around fathers whose lifetime hobby was
        > carpentry. There's at least one garage I helped frame that is well on
        > track to outlasting the house it was built for.)
        >
        > On Jul 17, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
        >

        >> Some of the dumbest people I ever met had PhDs and were teaching.
        >>
        >> Regards,

        That is a case of something outside of their presumed knowledge. But I
        recall the Physics professor who seriously argued in a faculty meeting
        that we should submit grades carried out to 4 decimal places since the
        software used to record grades and compute GPA would carry its results
        to 4 decimal places. I don't see how you can be a professor in *any*
        science and not understand the idea of limits to measurement accuracy.

        BTW, I was a professor of Economics at the time. I know some people like
        to claim that social scientists are "soft" and incapable of real
        science, but I instantly saw why his proposal was ridiculous.

        Regards,

        --
        Kevin B. O'Brien TANSTAAFL
        zwilnik@... Linux User #333216

        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
        not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein