Louisiana passes first antievolution "academic freedom" law

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
      http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080627-louisiana-passes-first-antievolution-academic-freedom-law.html

      "Louisiana passes first antievolution "academic freedom" law
      By John Timmer | Published: June 27, 2008 - 02:13PM CT

      As we noted last month, a number of states have been considering laws
      that, under the guise of "academic freedom," single out evolution for
      special criticism. Most of them haven't made it out of the state
      legislatures, and one that did was promptly vetoed. But the last of
      these bills under consideration, the Louisiana Science Education Act
      (LSEA), was enacted by the signature of Governor Bobby Jindal
      yesterday. The bill would allow local school boards to approve
      supplemental classroom materials specifically for the critique of
      scientific theories, allowing poorly-informed board members to stick
      their communities with Dover-sized legal fees.

      The text of the LSEA suggests that it's intended to foster critical
      thinking, calling on the state Board of Education to "assist teachers,
      principals, and other school administrators to create and foster an
      environment within public elementary and secondary schools that
      promotes critical thinking skills, logical analysis, and open and
      objective discussion of scientific theories." Unfortunately, it's
      remarkably selective in its suggestion of topics that need critical
      thinking, as it cites scientific subjects "including, but not limited
      to, evolution, the origins of life, global warming, and human cloning."

      Oddly, the last item on the list is not the subject of any scientific
      theory; the remainder are notable for being topics that are the focus
      of frequent political controversies rather than scientific ones."

      --
      William T Goodall
      Mail : wtg@...

      Debunking bullshit is a thankless task.

    • Olin Elliott
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
        What's really scary about this is that rejecting evolution requires rejecting the entire framework of modern science, as well as a body of evidence that is overwhelming in scope. It requires a kind of intellectual dishonesty -- or at the very least willful ignorance -- that almost has to be called pathological. If they want to teach religion in school lets have religion courses that teach all the world's religions in depth. But of course, that's not what this is about. Its about indoctrination.

        Olin
        http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080627-louisiana-passes-first-antievolution-academic-freedom-law.html<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080627-louisiana-passes-first-antievolution-academic-freedom-law.html>

[...]

        Mail : wtg@...<mailto:wtg@...>
        Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk<http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk/>
        Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/<http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/>

        Debunking bullshit is a thankless task.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
          On 29/06/2008, at 3:17 AM, William T Goodall wrote:

          > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080627-louisiana-passes-first-antievolution-academic-freedom-law.html
          >
          > "Louisiana passes first antievolution "academic freedom" law
          > By John Timmer | Published: June 27, 2008 - 02:13PM CT

          Here we go again. Hopefully this time, unlike in Dover, it'll get to
          the Supreme Court, and what they're *actually* proposing gets aired
          nationally and world wide. There are creationists groups active in the
          UK - "Truth In Science"; Australia (Ken Ham's from here originally,
          and the ICR is active here, with a major creationist camp happening on
          Philip Island early next year); and New Zealand.

          I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't reads the decision in Tammy
          Kitzmiller et al vs Dover Area School District in its entirety. For
          several years, the creationists were saying "give us our day in court"
          and the Discovery Institute was looking for a test case to get their
          Wedge Strategy in place, and they got that chance in Dover.

          Straight after Dover they switched to the "teach the controversy"
          thing (as if their entire strategy since the 80s wasn't based on
          pointing out flaws in evolution or geochronology...). And they've
          managed to finally dilute their message enough to get it through now.
          However, now it's a lot easier for a teacher to slam creationism in
          class as much as it's easier for them to teach it. Be careful what you
          wish for...

          Charlie.
        • Alberto Vieira Ferreira Monteiro
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
            Olin Elliott wrote:

            > What's really scary about this is that rejecting evolution requires
            > rejecting the entire framework of modern science,

            I must disagree. It requires the freedom of religious belief.
            When you believe in a God that is good and respectful, you
            automatically must believe that the Universe is ruled by stable
            laws. However, believing in an Evil and Mischievous god enables
            one to think that the whole purpose of natural laws are to
            deceive people who want to use the brain to think, instead
            of using it to obey.

            Check Trickster in the Wikipedia, and Theory of Evolution in
            Conservapedia, to see what I mean.

            The "god" of the creationists is Satan.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
              On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 8:36 PM, Alberto Vieira Ferreira Monteiro <
              albmont@...> wrote:

              > Olin Elliott wrote:
              > >
              > The "god" of the creationists is Satan.

              Finally, I can see why they want to pretend global warming isn't real! Hell
              on earth!

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
                Nick Arnett wrote:

                >> The "god" of the creationists is Satan.
                >
                > Finally, I can see why they want to pretend global warming isn't
                > real! Hell on earth!

                But doesn't global warming cause a new Ice Age?

                BTW, another piece of creationist humor:
                http://www.conservapedia.com/Starlight_problem