Re: Gates without Microsoft

  • Jo Anne
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008
      Hello List --

      Warren wrote about BG:

      > He's just a handy, and very large, target.

      =+)) I'll give ya that. But hyperbole aside, screed is screed and it
      doesn't do anyone any good to put it out there, IMO.

      And Jon wrote:

      > i suspect the man is either mildly autistic, borderline personality disorder,
      > or has asperger's syndrome

      I've often thought that about him. I have a friend who is married to a
      computer programmer, and she swears that he and a lot of programmers have
      Asbergers (sp?), and that's why they are such good programmers.

      Tax considerations, Melinda and BG Sr. aside, the Gates Foundations does a
      lot of good in this world. I would that all such large corporations put
      their money where their mouth resides.

      Amities,

      Jo Anne
      evenstar@...

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008

        On 23 Jun 2008, at 04:23, Dave Land wrote:

        > Bill Gates, Jr. may have headed up a company that has proven itself
        > larcenous, plagiaristic, avaricious, and in prone to developing
        > inelegant, insecure software, but he was raised by a well-known
        > philanthropist, so there's nothing really new about the connection of
        > philanthropy with the name William H. Gates.

        I hate the way Micro$oft fanbois are always making excuses for the
        Satan of Seattle.

        The cult of Microsoft Maru
        --
        William T Goodall
        Mail : wtg@...

        "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system,
        and possibly program, of all time." - Bill Gates, 1987

        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008
            William T Goodall wrote:

            > I hate the way Micro$oft fanbois are always making excuses for the
            > Satan of Seattle.

            Amen! You are halfway to the conversion. If you believe in
            The Absolute Evil (Satan), you are just about believing in
            The Absolute Good.

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008
              On 23 Jun 2008, at 22:06, Alberto Monteiro wrote:

              > William T Goodall wrote:
              >>
              >> I hate the way Micro$oft fanbois are always making excuses for the
              >> Satan of Seattle.
              >>
              > Amen! You are halfway to the conversion. If you believe in
              > The Absolute Evil (Satan), you are just about believing in
              > The Absolute Good.

              Who would deny the existence of Steve Jobs?

              Shiny Maru

              --
              William T Goodall
              Mail : wtg@...
              Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk
              Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/

              "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit
              atrocities." ~Voltaire.

            • Jon Louis Mann
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008
                >> Jon wrote:
                > > i suspect the man is either mildly autistic, borderline,
                > > personality disorderor has asperger's syndrome

                > I've often thought that about him. I have a friend who
                > is married to a
                > computer programmer, and she swears that he and a lot of
                > programmers have
                > Asbergers (sp?) and that's why they are such good
                > programmers.
                >
                > Tax considerations, Melinda and BG Sr. aside, the Gates
                > Foundations does a
                > lot of good in this world. I would that all such large
                > corporations put
                > their money where their mouth resides.
                >
                > Amities,
                >
                > Jo Anne
                > evenstar@...

                my ex-wife has aspergers and fit in well at sf cons, where inappropriate behavior is often either tolerated, or ignored. the problem is that she is raising our son the same way her mother raised her, without any boundries. i see this more and more with the paris hilton generation.

                if i had the tens of billions that gates has to work with, i really believe i could do a lot more good. i suspect a lot of that money is being used inefficiently.
                jon

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 23, 2008
                  Warren wrote:

                  Just as Bush is not the personification of everything wrong in the world,

                  Almost everything... 8^)

                  Doug

                  Hi Jo Anne! How are the Grand babies?
                • Lance A. Brown
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 24, 2008
                    Jon Louis Mann wrote:
                    > if i had the tens of billions that gates has to work with, i really
                    > believe i could do a lot more good. i suspect a lot of that money is
                    > being used inefficiently. jon

                    Yep. Here at Duke they recently opened the French Science Building. I
                    mean, a WHOLE building devoted to the science of French? I know the
                    French are snooty about their language, but come on!!!! :-)

                    --[Lance]

                    --
                    GPG Fingerprint: 409B A409 A38D 92BF 15D9 6EEE 9A82 F2AC 69AC 07B9
                    CACert.org Assurer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 25, 2008
                      At 02:22 PM Monday 6/23/2008, Jo Anne wrote:

                      >I've often thought that about him. I have a friend who is married to a
                      >computer programmer, and she swears that he and a lot of programmers have
                      >Asbergers (sp?), and that's why they are such good programmers.

                      IOW, rather than admit that programmers have a "talent" (positive
                      connotation) for programming, the suggestion is that they have a
                      "syndrome" (negative connotation). Spin much, anyone?

                      . . . ronn! :)

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 26, 2008
                        On Jun 25, 2008, at 7:46 PM, Ronn! Blankenship wrote:

                        > At 02:22 PM Monday 6/23/2008, Jo Anne wrote:
                        >
                        >> I've often thought that about him. I have a friend who is married
                        >> to a
                        >> computer programmer, and she swears that he and a lot of
                        >> programmers have
                        >> Asbergers (sp?), and that's why they are such good programmers.
                        >
                        > IOW, rather than admit that programmers have a "talent" (positive
                        > connotation) for programming, the suggestion is that they have a
                        > "syndrome" (negative connotation). Spin much, anyone?

                        Some years ago, the George Coates Performance Works theater company in
                        SF (with which Nick was associated, though I don't remember how,
                        exactly) mounted a production in which a character had what they termed
                        "Attention Surplus Syndrome", or "ASS)", which may be closer to the
                        truth
                        of what's going on for many people with "ADD" than most think.

                        It's not that we can't pay attention, it's that we can't _not_ pay
                        attention to _everything_.

                        Dave

                        "Oh, Look! An Owl!" Maru