Re: Brin: Probably not what you meant by Transparency

    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 30, 2008
      On Apr 30, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

      > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 9:59 AM, David Brin <dbrin@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      >> Gadzooks. I predicted this would be painful... A
      >> site that plots people convicted by crimes in a map
      >> of any neighborhood.
      >> http://www.felonspy.com/search.html
      >>
      >> We both need this new ere of better vision... and need
      >> desperately to grow up, in order to use it wisely.
      >> Again, see my Google Tech Talk: http://tinyurl.com/yy7yxm
      >>

      > feloneyspy.com is fake!! At this point in our nation's history, I
      > don't
      > believe there is any way to even compile such a database, other than
      > the Megan's Law one, which only covers certain sexual offenses. Not
      > that it makes sense to have a registry of them, but not murderers...
      > but that's how it is.

      It's more than fake, it's one of several outrageous spoof sites by the
      same group, including a Medical Adoptions site (slogan: "The Organs You
      Need -- The Home They Deserve") and PuppyProfits.com, promoting "canine
      sport fighting" as a home business with a startup kit that includes,
      among other things, "5 hrs a month of free legal counseling".

    • jon louis mann
      Message 43 of 43 , May 2, 2008
        I was talking in terms of restricting reproduction, not practicing
        euthanasia. If we leave it to the Four Horsemen, I am certain the worst
        of it will fall on those populations that are poor, and that will
        hardly look any better. It will take more than just population
        control, I suspect, but ignoring root causes is no way to solve the
        problem.
        Regards,
        --
        Kevin B. O'Brien

        i don't know if and when draconian measures will take place, except in
        china, but if something isn't done mother nature, and human nature will
        intervene. i believe the earth can handle up to 10 billion humans if
        sufficient measures are taken to protect the planet. it would require
        clean technology and a commitment to sustainable solutions...