Re: Charleton Heston dead at 83 (actually, 84)

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
      On Apr 6, 2008, at 7:04 AM, Julia Thompson wrote:
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleton_Heston
      >
      > I'd link to an obit, but aside from the New York Times, the more
      > reputable papers got the age wrong - sure, he was born in 1924 and
      > died in 2008, but he died before his birthday in 2008, so simple
      > mindless subtraction is not going to result in an accurate age at
      > death. :P

      Even the NYT got it wrong:

      Correction: April 7, 2008

      A front-page obituary and a headline in some editions on
      Sunday about the actor Charlton Heston misstated his age
      and the year of his birth. He was 84, not 83, and was born
      in 1923, not 1924.

      It's sad to me that he appeared to be just a nasty old codger in his
      last
      role as NRA spokesperson, but I always appreciated the story about his
      concerns over the line "God damn you all to hell" in Planet of the Apes.
      As a devout Christian, he was evidently concerned about taking God's
      name
      in vain, but convinced himself (or the studio heads, and no word yet
      from
      the Creator Himself) that it was justified because the character really
      was calling for divine retribution against the maniacs who blew it all
      up, not just using the phrase "God damn you" as is done casually by
      lesser mortals.

      Dave

      You Can Have His Guns Now Maru

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2008
        At 09:55 AM Monday 4/7/2008, Dave Land wrote:

        >You Can Have His Guns Now Maru

        <http://www.ericdsnider.com/snide/little-known-facts/>

        . . . ronn! :)